Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-11-2016, 06:08 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Coach radio

Hi,
I have a Winnebago Brave 2002 with a Magnadyne m9900 radio/cd/cassette

However the Weather stations i do not seem to be able to pick up, i have tried on several occasions to search.
We have had the coach for 12 months and i have never heard the weather on the channel, all i get is static.

Has anyone any idea on what may be wrong?
I can pick up radio stations ok and everything else works ok.

Thanks
Terry
wadders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2016, 06:52 AM   #2
Winnie-Wise

The weather transmitters are very weak and do not provide coverage everywhere. There only 7 frequencies for the weather radios. Have scanned all 7?
ChasA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2016, 06:59 AM   #3
Winnebago Watcher

Unless you are in a very remote area you should hear something. This is a link to the coverage map. May be a bad antenna but if your FM radio works then the weather should also.
http://www.nws.noaa.gov/nwr/
2017 Chevrolet 2500HD
mhudson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2016, 11:03 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

Send a message via Yahoo to rk911
Quote:
Originally Posted by wadders View Post
Hi,
I have a Winnebago Brave 2002 with a Magnadyne m9900 radio/cd/cassette

However the Weather stations i do not seem to be able to pick up, i have tried on several occasions to search.
We have had the coach for 12 months and i have never heard the weather on the channel, all i get is static.

Has anyone any idea on what may be wrong?
I can pick up radio stations ok and everything else works ok.

Thanks
Terry
can you hear AM/FM stations from a distance...say major AM stations from 100-miles or more and FM stations maybe 35-miles or are you only hearing very close by AM/FM stations that fade out quickly? if the latter then there may be an antenna or antenna cable issue. if the radio seems to be receiving normally then the only other logical answer is a problem with the radio itself. other than being in a mountain valley we can receive a NOAA weather radio signal almost anywhere in the country excepting situations where the transmitter is down for maintenance or repairs. so you should be hearing something on your weather radio.

the NOAA weather radio stations reach the overwhelming majority of the US and Canadian population via 7 VHF radio frequencies...5 for the US and 2 for Canada. each US station broadcasts an Omni-directional signal for approximately 40-miles from the transmit point or roughly 5,000-sq. miles. larger urban areas will have overlapping coverage but each transmitter will usually cover at least two counties.

2016 Itasca Suncruiser 38Q
rk911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2016, 08:42 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChasA View Post
The weather transmitters are very weak and do not provide coverage everywhere. There only 7 frequencies for the weather radios. Have scanned all 7?
Yes, thankyou i have checked all 7 channels
Old 06-11-2016, 08:45 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhudson View Post
Unless you are in a very remote area you should hear something. This is a link to the coverage map. May be a bad antenna but if your FM radio works then the weather should also.
NOAA Weather Radio All Hazards
I notice i have 3 antennas on the roof, i guess one for the interior radio, one for the exterior radio and the 3rd maybe for a CB (which i havnt got yet)?
Old 06-11-2016, 08:47 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by rk911 View Post
can you hear AM/FM stations from a distance...say major AM stations from 100-miles or more and FM stations maybe 35-miles or are you only hearing very close by AM/FM stations that fade out quickly? if the latter then there may be an antenna or antenna cable issue. if the radio seems to be receiving normally then the only other logical answer is a problem with the radio itself. other than being in a mountain valley we can receive a NOAA weather radio signal almost anywhere in the country excepting situations where the transmitter is down for maintenance or repairs. so you should be hearing something on your weather radio.

the NOAA weather radio stations reach the overwhelming majority of the US and Canadian population via 7 VHF radio frequencies...5 for the US and 2 for Canada. each US station broadcasts an Omni-directional signal for approximately 40-miles from the transmit point or roughly 5,000-sq. miles. larger urban areas will have overlapping coverage but each transmitter will usually cover at least two counties.

I have tried it several times now, on the outskirts of Houston Tx, and now in Oklahoma city and still nothing
Old 06-12-2016, 06:30 AM   #8
Winnebago Master

Send a message via Yahoo to rk911
Quote:
Originally Posted by wadders View Post
I have tried it several times now, on the outskirts of Houston Tx, and now in Oklahoma city and still nothing
you should definitely hear something at either of those locations. if you're hearing AM/FM along the lines that I described in the previous post then I'd say the problem lies within the radio.

2016 Itasca Suncruiser 38Q
rk911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 06:40 AM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Might try asking a neighbor when you are parked in a CG to try their weather stations. At least that will rule out no reception in the area.

We had to replace our stock dash radio but always have a hand held marine radio with us that enables us to listen to NOAA if we need to. The replacement was just a decent car stereo that works great. No weather stations though.
HD4Mark is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
radio