Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Tech | Toys and Gear
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 07-31-2006, 06:30 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

can anyone tell me were i can find a good 12 volt lead for my cb radio the factory wire gives me feed back from the am-fm radio

Celebration Florida
Ron and Patti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2006, 06:30 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

can anyone tell me were i can find a good 12 volt lead for my cb radio the factory wire gives me feed back from the am-fm radio

Celebration Florida
Old 07-31-2006, 11:58 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Ron and Patti:
can anyone tell me were i can find a good 12 volt lead for my cb radio the factory wire gives me feed back from the am-fm radio </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ron,

Since the AM/FM dosn't broadcast unless you have a transmitter for wireless headphones or speakers could you clarify what you are experiencing. Is the AM/FM picking up your CB transmissions and causing feedback when the CB microphone picks up the sound from the AM/FM radios speakers or are you getting some type of clicking or static when you have both the CB and AM/FM turned on at the same time?

Regards,
Old 08-01-2006, 02:00 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

i am getting clicking and static when keying up and feed back at the speakers

Celebration Florida
Old 08-01-2006, 05:45 AM   #5
Winnie-Wise

Ron and Patti: I was in a hurry when we took delivery of the coach. Fortunately the dealer installed the CB. There was AM/FM feedback. The dealer discovered that the factory installed the wrong coaxial cable. The dealer switched it out for "shielded coaxial cable" and no further issues. Hope this helps.
Gary CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2006, 06:37 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

ok thankyou i will try to put on a new coaxial cable and see what happens. thanks Ron

Celebration Florida
Old 08-01-2006, 07:45 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Before you go to the trouble of running new cable, make sure that the radio is tuned to your antenna. This is relatively simple with a SWR meter, but if you don't have one it may be as simple as having a radio shop adjust that for you. If your SWR is off, you will definitely have problems with feedback in any nearby receivers.

Chris

Murfreesboro TN
The Clock Meister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2006, 08:18 AM   #8
Winnie-Wise

It's my understanding that SWR is to be checked with the antenna, coax wire, and CB all mounted. Then the antenna (or radio) can be tuned. I also understood that excess coax should be coiled in a circle about 8" dia. or larger, not bundled like clothesline...

Good luck Ron.
Old 08-01-2006, 09:12 AM   #9
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by troth:
It's my understanding that SWR is to be checked with the antenna, coax wire, and CB all mounted. Then the antenna (or radio) can be tuned. I also understood that excess coax should be coiled in a circle about 8" dia. or larger, not bundled like clothesline...

Good luck Ron.
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>Yes!

I think the advice to check the SWR is sound. Also be sure you have a good ground for the radio and clean & tight coax connections.

About coiling up the coax - this gets pretty complicated but it really shouldn't have any effect on the transmitter-antenna match in most cases. In some antenna matching situations a coil of so many turns of coax is actually used to match the antenna impedance to the transmitter but I believe all of these are usually installed at the antenna end and only for certain antenna designs. With all of the ham antennas I built and played with, I never was concerned with how the excess coax was stowed.

2005 Horizon 40AD, 2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
John_Canfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2006, 07:11 PM   #10
Winnebago Owner

i am wondering if it would be in my best interest to put in a new antenna like a fire stick were i dont need a swr meter.mount it on my ladder rack and see if i get any feed back.

Celebration Florida
Old 08-01-2006, 08:39 PM   #11
Winnebago Master

I'm not familiar with the fire stick - is it tuneable? If it is not tuneable then it is a crap shoot if it will work well.

When you mount any antenna that will transmit, be sure and mount it in the clear, i.e., not on a bumper or on a ladder rung where any part of the antenna will be within a couple of feet (at least) of any metal object. If you do, this will detune the antenna and it will NEVER work well (not to mention it will mess up the radiation pattern.)

Unless the antenna is specifically designed for mounting on fiberglass (like a boat) it will need to have a nice large area (maybe 9 or 12 square feet) of metal centered *under* it for a good counterpoise (counterpoise is the "other half" of the antenna.)

2005 Horizon 40AD, 2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
John_Canfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2006, 02:18 AM   #12
Winnebago Owner

I disconected the wire from the factory 12 volt. for the cb and ran and 12 plug to the cigarette lighter and now I dont seem to have any feed back.and that is with the factory antenna on the roof of the motorhome.Thankyou for all your help and information.Ron

Celebration Florida
Old 08-03-2006, 03:05 AM   #13
Winnebago Owner

Be sure to check or have someone check the SWR. It is not that hard a process and can save your radio.