Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-10-2008, 06:20 PM   #21
iRV2 Marketing

"Winnebago Industries' continuing program of product improvement makes specifications, equipment, model availability, and prices subject to change without notice."
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 03:14 AM   #22
Administrator in Memoriam

<span class="ev_code_RED">Continued violations of iRV2's flaming policy in this thread will result in its closing and the suspension or expulsion for the violators. Please contain the discussion to the issues posted and refrain from criticizing other members for their point of view.</span>
Old 08-11-2008, 03:15 AM   #23
Winnebago Owner

Thanks for the technical information. Just agreed to purchase a used Sunova 35J this weekend. Actually only has one TV so one box whereever will work fine.

And what I like about motorhoming and RVs, to quote Roseanne Roseannadanna, "...its always something."

Good days and smooth roads
Old 08-11-2008, 05:15 AM   #24
Winnie-Wise

" I would also add that FCC rules require them to post any analog TV sold after 3/1/07 with a notice that it is not DTV and both Winnie and Robinson failed to do this with my living room TV....deceptive??? Makes me think they were trying to hide something to move the product and minimize there expenses."

Bsell,

Undoubtedly the TV was SOLD long before that date. The sales date is not the date sold to you, rather when the sale to Winne was done. That was probably 06 of perhaps before.

2002 Itasca Suncruiser - WH Chassis - 35U - 2006 Jeep Liberty
hamguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 05:24 AM   #25
Winnebago Camper

I'm sure you are correct about the purchase date by both Winnie and Robinson, however; as I understand the FCC rule, it applies to the end retailer who I view as Robinson since they sold it to the consumer (me).
Old 08-11-2008, 01:22 PM   #26
Winnebago Master

Technology changes fast, and when it is technology that is "built in" to our motorhomes, it can be frustrating, as alterations often have to be made to remove the old technology, and to install the new where if we had a stick house we could just unplug the old and plug in the new.

I'm somewhat disgusted with the $3,850 GPS system option that came on my MH. From the beginning in 2003, it had 2002 version very poor maps. My $600 Garmin would run rings about it every time. When I finally broke down and paid $300 for upgraded maps in Feb 2008, the maps I received were 2005 version and came with a notice that would be the last upgrade produced for my "obsolete" GPS system. A $3,850 system that is obsolete after three years!!! I did find out at GNR this year that I can buy a new brain for about $500 that will plug into my existing dash monitor, and in the future I can pay just $80 to download updates rather than having to pay $300 for new DVDs. If Winnebago had been thinking ahead I don't believe they would have put a DVD based GPS system in my coach -- they should have known that was borderline obsolete at the time they installed it. The situation frustrates me, but such is the world of technology...

I also think my motorhome has substandard headlights, a real safety issue when driving at night. They have been aimed & reaimed, and I eventually replaced the low beam bulbs with HIR bulbs for better lighting -- still they are marginal at best. And I look at the headlights on the new coaches and wish I could toss mine out and plug some of those new ones in, but of course the holes in the fiberglass don't match up. Such is the world of technology...

Right now it is analog vs digital televisions. In a couple of years, it will be something else frustrating us!! Such is the world of technology...

If we want the latest technology right now, we have to bite the bullet and buy a new coach ...but in a year we would be back to being frustrated with some technology issue or another. Such is the world of technology!!!
Old 08-11-2008, 03:41 PM   #27
Winnebago Master

I work in the TV industry and even at the beginning of 2008 it still was not 100% solid that the FCC was going to hold to the Feb 2009 date and there was still a chance of it getting slid one more time. Even now many Mom and Pop operations under a certain wattage will not have to go digital so there will still be some analog coverage in those areas after the Feb 2009 date.

Two digital TV's from two or so years ago could have raised the price of a rig close to $10,000 and they would now be three years out of date. A 2008/2009 model now costs hundreds and in some cases thousands less so not getting a bleeding edge model has probably save most people some considerable change. Rember too that most of the early digital TV's required a separatly purchased digital tuner to make them work adding even more expense and compexity to the units. You also needed a analog tuner or a dual tuner if you wanted to receive both digital and analog and many required a second antenna seperated from the other to support this. Splitting off of one did not cut it except for in an extremely high signal area. Just think how great it would be to have to remember to crank down two batwings instead of just the one.

For my still working non-digital TV's I got the coupons and pitched in the extra $10 to get a reasonable converter box. Small change compared to jumping the gun and going digital too early and paying bleading edge prices. I did that when the VCR came out and payed $1,500 for a two head with a wired remote however if I had waited a few months I could have gotten much better for a few hundred and later even better for under $50.

It all depends on how you look at it. Not getting saddled and paying for a high cost bleeding edge digital TV was probably more of a benefit than anything else.
Old 08-11-2008, 05:06 PM   #28
Winnebago Watcher

The change to HDTV signals was signed into law in the late 90's during the Clinton administration. The only thing that was uncertain was the exact date of the changeover to a digital signal only. From what I remember the exact FEB 2009 date was only set a couple of years ago.
It has not been a secret so everyone should have known not only that it was coming but the approximate date of the change. Most retailers were still selling analog TV's until 2007 when the FCC told them not to.
I don't think that either Winnebago or Roy Robinson RV did anything wrong. Had you asked at the time if they were digital and were told that they were then you have a case.
From what I have read the TV antenna on your RV won't pick up digital signals so you will have to probably replace that. I am not 100% sure of this as the articles I have read are sometimes contradictory. Some say they will work and others say they won't. You might want to check and see if your existing antenna will work or not.
Nick & Suzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 05:13 PM   #29
Winnebago Camper

Nick: Thanks for the info about the antenna, I had not heard that information.

Neil: Thanks for the thoughtful and intelligent response. It begins to make much more sense to me in these terms and you didn't even insult me while explaining it.
Old 08-11-2008, 06:49 PM   #30
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Nick & Suzie:
From what I have read the TV antenna on your RV won't pick up digital signals so you will have to probably replace that. I am not 100% sure of this as the articles I have read are sometimes contradictory. Some say they will work and others say they won't. You might want to check and see if your existing antenna will work or not. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>The Winegard batwing and pre-amp basically haven't changed in 30 years (with the exception of a short-lived run of "economy" antennas that went on a line of TT). Some of the rumors about "digital" antennas are perpetuated by manufacturers looking to sell additional equipment that doesn't need replacing. There's no such thing as a "digital" antenna, it's just good ol' UHF.

Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350
SCVJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 06:57 PM   #31
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">doesn't need replacing </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Yep, my OEM Winegard antenna gets digital just fine. When I set up here in Spokane this afternoon, I got 7 channels analog, and around 16 digital.
Old 08-12-2008, 01:05 AM   #32
Winnebago Master

I just wish I had known that some coaches would have fantastic fans with remotes. Would have had to find another place to store the remote to keep it separate from other remotes. Safe Miles
ichn2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 10:18 AM   #33
Winnebago Owner

Life is filled with $50 problems.... I say, relax and enjoy the ride
steelheadbluesman is offline   Reply With Quote