Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Tech | Toys and Gear
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 05-19-2008, 10:10 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Hi, We have 2007 Sightseer 35J. A couple of monthes ago the DVD player on the top bunk stopped working. Since the motorhome was due for all Warranty work we just allowed the Dealer to fix the DVD player. Not the bottom bunk DVD player has quit working. I hate to bring the motorhome all the way back to the dealer for just that. The work order says they changed a 3 amp fuse in the harness. Does anyone know where the bottom bunk harness is? I have taken apart everything looking for it.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Barbara
Old 05-19-2008, 10:10 AM   #2
Winnebago Camper

Hi, We have 2007 Sightseer 35J. A couple of monthes ago the DVD player on the top bunk stopped working. Since the motorhome was due for all Warranty work we just allowed the Dealer to fix the DVD player. Not the bottom bunk DVD player has quit working. I hate to bring the motorhome all the way back to the dealer for just that. The work order says they changed a 3 amp fuse in the harness. Does anyone know where the bottom bunk harness is? I have taken apart everything looking for it.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Barbara
Old 05-20-2008, 02:54 AM   #3
Winnie-Wise

The short answer is I do not, but I'm interested in case ours ever fail in our J.
Some suggestions: Call Winnie (there's a sticky at the top of the forum. They are very helpful in this regard. And/Or, look at the schematics that are also a sticky, but they can be hard to interpret if you haven't done it before.
What i can tell you is that on our J (a Ford) there are several fuse boxes (and none are near the bunks). By the driver's left foot there is one with a beige panel. AND, just above it, hard to see, is another one. My bet is that the fuse is in one of these...they are a bear to get to without a driver door though. There is also one in the engine compartment but that is usually just chassis stuff, not house. Oh yes, there is another panel under the fridge/pantry pull out. These are pop-out breakers....maybe check there first since it is closer to the bunks and easy to check?
Good luck...please let us know what you find. Steve

On Edit: got bored and surfed through my manual and schematics. Can't find the fuse location on the schematics...yet.... The manual implies that all the house stuff is on that breaker panel under the fridge so I'd start there...it should be obvious since one would be popped out if that is the problem. The only hesitation is that something else should not be working since it is unlikely that each DVD player would have its own breaker. I'd also find it hard to believe that a fuse was in the harness but I could be wrong. Curious: is the other DVD player working? If not, did the switch that controls the 2 players (foot of bed of top bunk) get turned off by accident?
Old 05-20-2008, 12:09 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

Thank you for your reply Steve,
I have looked at all pop out fuses and nothing. Yes, the other DVD player is working. The reading light on the bottom bunk is working but not the DVD player itself. We had the exact same problem with the top bunk one a few mothes ago. The work order says this "Cause:Blown fuse in harness for DVD player. Correction:R & R player, switch and carpeted cover panel for wire harness and found power at switch but not to dvd player. Found 3 amp fuse blown in harness & replaced then tested OK."

I will call the service dept. and maybe they can walk me through it.

Thanks and I'll keep you posted!
Old 05-20-2008, 03:25 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

I have never seen this installation, but work with a lot of electronics. It could be that the fuse is in the DVD OEM connection cable and probably within 2' of the DVD to make consumer fuse change easy. Check the DVD player manual. A lot of the 12v DVD players have the 12 volt cigarette lighter plug with the fuse in the plug.
1999 Jeep Cherokee & 1991 Jeep Wrangler Renegade
John Hilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 12:05 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Mystery Solved! If this ever happens to your bunk DVD players......On the top bunk you need to take screwed in, carpeted piece off the ceiling and there in the black harness is a 3 amp fuse. For the bottom bunk, you need to rip up the ply wood that is the bottom, under the mattress of the top bunk. Here are the wires for that DVD. It too has a black harness and a 3 amp fuse in it.

Thanks everyone for their help!

Barbara
Old 05-21-2008, 01:24 PM   #7
Winnie-Wise

I looked at that top bunk carpet this AM and wondered about that. I've got to look at the schematics again because I sure never saw a fuse listed.

How did you find out? Wonder why the fuses are blowing?

Many thanks for reporting the outcome! Steve
Old 05-22-2008, 02:59 AM   #8
Winnebago Camper

I don't know if this makes a difference or not but.....Winnebago put in a 3 amp fuse and when the dealer fixed the top bunk a few monthes ago they put in a 5 amp. ( the work order says 3 amp but when I found the fuse it was 5)
I don't know enough about fuses to know if that makes a difference or what but I bought a package of each type.

Our other 3 Rvs all had fuses and they use to blow a lot esp. our Outback.

Good to know where all the fuses are though and to have every type available.

Thanks again for your help.

Barbara
Old 05-22-2008, 04:48 AM   #9
Winnie-Wise

One last question so I can stock up without tearing things apart: why kind of fuse are they? Glass, mini auto or what. Thanks again. Steve
Old 05-23-2008, 02:46 AM   #10
Winnebago Camper

Mini Auto

Busses Mini Auto I think the 5 amp were orange and the 3 amp were green. Or visa-versa.

Have a great Memorial Day weekend-Headed out to camp now!