Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Tech | Toys and Gear
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 05-25-2007, 04:03 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Has anyone found a way to dim the display on the bedroom radio? Our Journey has the Jenson stereo in the night stand in the bedroom. This is the one that is a stereo, alarm clock, and DVD player for the bedroom TV. Trouble is, the thing is as bright as a spot light in the middle of the night. To date we have settled for covering it with a shirt before going to bed, but doesn't seem like we should have to do that. I have looked everywhere in the manuals and through all the menus, and cannot find any way to dim the display. Has anyone else had this experience? And if so, have you had any luck finding a way to dim the display?
Thanks,
Alan
Old 05-25-2007, 04:03 AM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Has anyone found a way to dim the display on the bedroom radio? Our Journey has the Jenson stereo in the night stand in the bedroom. This is the one that is a stereo, alarm clock, and DVD player for the bedroom TV. Trouble is, the thing is as bright as a spot light in the middle of the night. To date we have settled for covering it with a shirt before going to bed, but doesn't seem like we should have to do that. I have looked everywhere in the manuals and through all the menus, and cannot find any way to dim the display. Has anyone else had this experience? And if so, have you had any luck finding a way to dim the display?
Thanks,
Alan
Old 05-25-2007, 04:42 AM   #3
Winnebago Camper

I thought that I was the only person with that problem. I cover it up with a towel.
I am curious if there is any easy fix too.

2005 Winnebago Journey
Md shedman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2007, 05:24 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Agree. One would think they would put a dimmer on the radio. My wife places her book up against it at night.

W24 8.1 Vortec
Kyle241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2007, 05:34 AM   #5
iRV2 Marketing

Absent the OEM bedroom radio, I was also wondering about that as well. There should be a day night switch for sure. My inexpensive Timex radio has 3 dimmer settings.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2007, 06:02 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Well, at least I know now that I'm not crazy, sounds like many others have the same complaint. I would agree that you would sure think it should have a dimmer somewhere, especially considering it was a $490 (MSRP) option!
Old 05-25-2007, 06:18 AM   #7
Winnebago Master

If you don't find an actual dimmer, this might work for you....

We bought a digital clock with BIG numbers so we could read it at night without glasses. Trouble is, like yours, it's bright as broad daylight in the bedroom. Went to the automotive department at Walmart and bought a roll of vinyl film that, I think, is used to make a sunshade band across the top of a windshield. Cut a piece of it to match the size of your radio face. Just slap it on and it self-adheres - not adhesive, just static I guess. If it's still too bright, cut out another and slap it on top. Took 4 layers to tone ours down. It's still very readable in daylight or you can peel off all the layers together if you want more brightness during the day.

Not a real elegant solution, but it works and it's cheap & simple (my 2 favorite things)...
tomsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2007, 08:15 AM   #8
Winnebago Owner

That's funny Tom, my solution exactly. I've purchased the film, just haven't put it on yet, and before I did, thought I'd see if anyone knew whether or not there is supposed to be a dimmer somewhere on the thing. Good to know that solution is working for you.
Thanks,
Alan
Old 05-25-2007, 12:20 PM   #9
Winnebago Camper

Ha, great minds think alike. I have two layers of the "static cling" window tint film over our clock.

2005 Itasca Meridian
John Mc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2007, 03:12 PM   #10
Winnebago Camper

i took one of my business cards and put a piece of scotch tape on the top of radio and top of card...........lift up the card and you can see the time and channel if your not awake it doesnt matter
Old 05-25-2007, 10:47 PM   #11
Winnebago Master

You guys beat me to it!
I use the windshield tint film on the Magnadyne radio and the Freightliner display, because both are WAY too bright at night. Among my list of weekend projects is to cut a film for the rear radio as well.

Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350
SCVJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2007, 12:20 AM   #12
Winnebago Master

Here is an A>B comparison with the tinting film. Far Left, is the "new" look. Far right is original. Makes a big difference.

Jeff - WA6EQU
Old 05-27-2007, 03:14 PM   #13
Winnebago Owner

I used a piece of paper covered on both sides with black duct tape, Scotch taped over the display so it is "hinged", completely blocks the light, just lift to see if you have to get up yet.
Pushrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2007, 03:59 PM   #14

I just put one of the pillows in front of ours. However, my DH thinks that if he wakes up in the middle of the night, he needs to know what time it is ! So for his side of the bed I bought him one of those clocks that will display the time on the wall/ceiling. By placing in on his ledge on his side, he can direct it to show the time on the cabinet overhang area directly above his head. Now he knows if he should roll over, or get up.
glenda1908 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2007, 10:34 AM   #15
Winnebago Camper

I also found the brightness to be a problem but had a different solution for mine. I looked at the electrical print in the black bag and found it had both a 12 volt dc and 12 volt dc ignition feed. The two wires are easily identified since they are tied together from the same 12 volt dc source before the connector in back of the radio. The one with the stripe is the ignition wire and I put a small switch mounted above the telephone outlet in the same cover from Radio Shack. This turns off the display and radio but no settings are lost just like your car radio which works for us we do not use the alarm clock function.
KennethM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2007, 06:26 PM   #16
Winnebago Owner

Thanks for all the advocates of the window tint film. I used two strips over the radio display and it really does the trick! I just happened to have some laying around waiting on a motorcycle windshield tint job I have planned. By the way, anyone want to buy a motorcycle or two? DW and I have decided that RVing is a lot more fun than riding a scooter down a hot highway.

Retired Navy (ETCS/SW/AW)
Carnles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2007, 01:45 AM   #17
Winnebago Owner

This was an interesting thread as I have the exact problem in reverse. I can't see the clock unless the radio/CD is turned on.

I did notice all of the responders have newer coaches than my '02, so apparently Winnebago fixed the issue of not being able to see the clock unless it was on and backlit.

Funny how the circle of life goes.....

On our coach the compass/temp gauge is not wired into the dash light dimmer. We do drive some at night and the light from that gauge was painful. I found a sunblock eyeglass insert (fits inside your glasses) that you get from your eye doctor (when your eyes are dilated) and cut it to fit.....been using it for almost 5 years.

If someone has a solution for a bedroom clock that you CAN'T see at night, please post. My wife is tired of me turning on the radio to check the time and blasting her out of the dead of sleep.

2017 Cedar Creek 38EL/2015 Silverado 3500HD
CC38EL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2007, 09:55 PM   #18
Winnebago Master

Push that little black button on the lamp to view time... Also duck, because there is probably a high veliocity arm heading towards your head

FYI, I used the same tint film and cut patterns for both the front radio and the Freightliner display center. Both should be deemed dangerous for impairing night vision. Both are now quite tolerable.

Jeff - WA6EQU
Old 06-01-2007, 02:11 AM   #19
Winnebago Owner

Thanks for the tip, Jeff. But I've mastered that safety maneuver. The problem is that, sometime later in the day (or worse....if I'm napping), she will find me.

And you know what they say....**** hath no fury like someone who's had their sleep interupted.

2017 Cedar Creek 38EL/2015 Silverado 3500HD
CC38EL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2007, 10:34 PM   #20
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ua40j:
Thanks for the tip, Jeff. But I've mastered that safety maneuver. The problem is that, sometime later in the day (or worse....if I'm napping), she will find me.

And you know what they say....**** hath no fury like someone who's had their sleep interupted. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Bike Helmet?

Jeff - WA6EQU