Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-21-2015, 04:00 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Banging noise

Just finished driving from Mo to Ut in the 65 mph plus winds - alot of white knuckle driving. Anyway the banging occured on rough roads and seems to be coming from the top of the slide area to the rear of the co-pilots seat. Could this be a slide issue and if so is there a way to check and see if something is loose?
Old 01-21-2015, 04:15 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Do you have a jack up TV antenna in that area that might not be tight enough in the down position?
See My RV Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 04:17 PM   #3
Winnebago Watcher

If you have any hard cables, like coax, this can make the noise your hearing. Lot's stuff overhead.
RWeigant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 04:20 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

46490 what type of Satellite dish do you have our Traveler will made a little noise in a bad cross wind?
grtharris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 04:42 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Is awning locked in place? Or a slide awning?

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
HerbZilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 07:19 PM   #6
Winnie-Wise

Probably the Schwintek slide mechanism. There are many posts on this forum about them. Many people report a banging noise. Good luck getting it fixed if it is a slide problem. You should definitely call Winnebago and document the problem. Search this forum for Schwintek or Lippert. I hope your problem is not in the slide. Best of luck.
ChasA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 01:28 AM   #7
Winnie-Wise

On our motorhome, depending upon the wind and direction, we can get a bit of banging at the microwave outside vent. It is only really noisy occasionally, under specific conditions, so we have never fixed it. But a friend who had an identical coach did make a foam insert to keep the banging from bothering him.

For us, its one of those things, if you don't know what it is, then it is a real bother, but once you know what it is, then not such a big deal.
Old 01-22-2015, 06:52 AM   #8
Winnebago Owner

I had exactly the same problem. Tech spent hours (on warranty) trying to adjust cables from Traveler into coach, no good. Turned out it was the passenger front slide mechanism. Lippert recommended a particular lubricant (I am 600 miles from coach, can't check). There was a great picture on a post here that showed where it goes. It helps, reduces the incidence of banging and quiets it, but doesn't eliminate it. I can live with the result. Of course, my alternative is ???
mgtr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 09:00 AM   #9
Winnebago Camper

Our 34B has had a number of slide issues, including banging noise. However it has been on the drivers side. An earlier post suggested the TV Sat antenna. Another possibility is the DVD compartment directly above the passenger seat. We've had some pretty nasty noises coming from there. We have stuffed a few rolls of paper towels above the dvd player to snug it down tight. I read an earlier post about isolating the DVD from the cabinet by adding a foam layer to the cabinet and a board under the dvd for keeping the dvd heat away from the foam.
CBTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 09:14 AM   #10
Winnebago Watcher

I would suspect it to be a awning partially unrolling and then rolling back up. Pretty common thing to happen in high wind situations. We once had a Dynasty that was terrible with that problem in high wind. JMO Randy
Old 01-22-2015, 01:20 PM   #11
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randyman1 View Post
I would suspect it to be a awning partially unrolling and then rolling back up. Pretty common thing to happen in high wind situations. We once had a Dynasty that was terrible with that problem in high wind. JMO Randy
Many A&E slide toppers have an anti billow arm that prevents it from unrolling. If a side wind is strong enough the topper will unroll maybe 1/8 turn and the anti billow arm will bang against a plate on the side of the slide. That might be what you guys heard.
Old 01-22-2015, 04:41 PM   #12
Winnebago Master

I used to have a banging noise from the front mudflaps when I travelled into a strong quartering wind. It took me a long time to discover the source of the sound ... I finally noticed the "wear" on the compartment behind the right mudflap ...

I made a "stiffner" for the flap ... the noise went away.
skigramp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 07:40 PM   #13
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by skigramp View Post
I used to have a banging noise from the front mudflaps when I travelled into a strong quartering wind. It took me a long time to discover the source of the sound ... I finally noticed the "wear" on the compartment behind the right mudflap ...

I made a "stiffner" for the flap ... the noise went away.
X2 ....except mine was the right side rear mudflap bracket. From the drivers seat, it was very hard to pinpoint. But when my brother was driving I was able to locate it. One heavy duty tie-rap holding the sheet metal secure and it's nice and quiet.
Old 01-22-2015, 08:48 PM   #14
Winnebago Owner

From now to about the end of March, you can drive I-40 in New Mexico and Arizona and see numerous awnings that were torn off motorhomes. White knuckle driving you say, perhaps you answered it yourself. We got wind!!! not the breaking kind.

DUNER: What was blue ox's answer about your baseplate? (looking for a mkz hybrid)

Kerry
two-niner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 11:10 PM   #15
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by two-niner View Post
......DUNER: What was blue ox's answer about your baseplate? (looking for a mkz hybrid)

Kerry
Hi Kerry, Blue Ox redesigned and replaced the baseplate no charge. But they would not admit to a design deficiency and I had to have a body shop fix the cracked frame of the Lincoln MKZ at a cost of $1350 (ouch!). The new baseplate is very solid and I've since put another 4,000 miles on it.
Old 01-22-2015, 11:27 PM   #16
Winnebago Camper

Check your awning. We didn't realize ours was out about and inch, banging noise in wind.
480w Go Power solar
PeaceOwl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 04:38 AM   #17
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeaceOwl View Post
Check your awning. We didn't realize ours was out about and inch, banging noise in wind.

Our slide topper would billow out in high cross winds and then slam back into the coach as the tension spring brought it back in. It sounded like someone had slammed into that side of the coach.

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
Clifftall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 08:21 AM   #18
Winnebago Owner

Update - the banging noise was coming from the light inside the audio cabinet. Light was tightened and no more noise according to the techs - we will see when I get it back.
Old 02-09-2015, 08:56 AM   #19
Winnebago Owner

Thank you for the update, they are important.
See My RV Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 06:12 PM   #20
Winnebago Owner

Mine was the slide topper. I rotated mirror and could see it. 45mph cross wind.
cpoo is offline   Reply With Quote