Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Tech | Toys and Gear
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 11-13-2006, 01:46 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

We are looking at the king dome 9702 automatic dome. Can someone tell me the difference beteween the tracvision and the king dome as far as quality, and the over all performance. We have a wineguard roll up dish now and would like to know if the automatic dome has a stronger signal than the roll up dish,or would we still need the tripod for under trees.
Thank you Ron and Patti

Celebration Florida
Ron and Patti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2006, 01:46 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

We are looking at the king dome 9702 automatic dome. Can someone tell me the difference beteween the tracvision and the king dome as far as quality, and the over all performance. We have a wineguard roll up dish now and would like to know if the automatic dome has a stronger signal than the roll up dish,or would we still need the tripod for under trees.
Thank you Ron and Patti

Celebration Florida
Ron and Patti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2006, 02:27 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

Ron - with the smaller antenna, the domes will not have the signal strength of the open dishes. However, if you stay mainly in the center of the U.S., this is no big deal. You WILL need some of the dome spray that King Dome sells for morning dew which will attenuate the signal to a degree that can cause dropouts.

You might need a tripod for under the trees regardless of dome or open dish on the roof - sometimes trees get in the way.

When we went to Alaska this summer we lost our King Dome signal about Calgary, Alberta and the dish on a tripod worked maybe another 250 miles further north. A friend had a 24" open Motosat dish on top of his Country Coach and he was receiving DirecTV sporadically in SE Alaska.

2005 Horizon 40AD, 2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
John_Canfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2006, 03:34 PM   #4
Winnie-Wise

Ron and Patti,

I have the Kingdome in motion system and it works great. Don't know about the tracvision. If all things were equal I would go with Kingdome again due to the exceptional customer support I received from them.

'05 Meridian 36G
CHIPPYSGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2006, 05:23 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

have the KVH r6 and it works great...expensive...when I go (60 mph) under bridges the replenish time is less than 1 second and sometimes I do not even lose a picture.. while traveling it works great...only can comapre it to the KVH L2 which was junk...never owned a kingdome...but I think I purchased the right one for moving/stationary mode. customer support is not 100 percent with KVH when I owned the L2(long hold time)...but with R6 never had to call.
peter griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2006, 03:01 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by peter griffin:
...KVH L2 which was junk... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I agree 1000%...

I haven't decided to spend the money to upgrade L2 to R5/6 yet...but the L2 was money wasted.
Old 11-14-2006, 04:27 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Check out TracStar. I have had zero problems with their in-motion....As I've been advised; TracStar licences their technology to King Dome. That doesn't mean however that they both use identical materials etc. I don't know about service, so far I've been very lucky.