Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Tech | Toys and Gear
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 01-23-2018, 08:45 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

AT&T Mobley Wireless Data

Anyone with experience on this?
Gene36542 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 11:43 PM   #2
Site Team

I have one. Earlier they were available with an unbelievable unlimited data plan called Connected Car. $20 per month for truly unlimited data. I was lucky enough to get one. Some months I use as much as 60 gigs of data for $20. I bought a 110v adapter to use it in the RV without needing to plug it in to the OBD port of the RV.

ATT caught notice of some folks using it in homes, using 200 gigs per month for $20. So the Mobley device went out of stock for about 6-months.

Now the device is back available from ATT but the unlimited Connected Car plan has been replaced with a plan with no more than 5 gigs per month.

Luckily those of use with the unlimited plan are grandfathered in... for the present anyway.
Old 01-24-2018, 07:43 AM   #3
Site Team

I'm working full-time from the road with one. I average just over 100GB/month since last June. HOPING that the plan lasts for a while as there are not really other truly unlimited plans on the market.
Old 01-25-2018, 10:19 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

Works GREAT. I improved it in marginal ATT coverage areas by buying a WeBoost Sleek Cell Signal Booster and putting the Mobley in it's device holding cradle.

However, you can no longer buy it with the $ 20 per month unlimited plan. The unlimited plan is currently about $ 90 per month, about $ 20 less if you bundle with a DirectTV package.
powercat_ras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2018, 11:57 PM   #5
Site Team

The best results with a Mobley come from not using the Mobley at all. Take the SIM card out of the Mobley (this assumes you have the $20 unlimited Connected Car plan) and put it in an ATT 4G aircard (MiFi). It will not only work much better with double the speed but you’ll still have unlimited internet for $20 a month. I’m using mine in a 2-yr old 770S Unite aircard.
Old 01-26-2018, 07:01 AM   #6
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by creativepart View Post
The best results with a Mobley come from not using the Mobley at all. Take the SIM card out of the Mobley (this assumes you have the $20 unlimited Connected Car plan) and put it in an ATT 4G aircard (MiFi). It will not only work much better with double the speed but you’ll still have unlimited internet for $20 a month. I’m using mine in a 2-yr old 770S Unite aircard.
That's been discussed at length on some of the other forums and the point that sticks in my mind is that AT&T can see that the sim is in a different device. My fear is that I load it into a different device and they decide that anyone not using it in the intended modem is now going to be moved off the plan.

As someone that relies on the Mobley for my lively-hood (working full-time from the road) losing the $20/unlimited plan would be a large hit to my pocketbook to have similar internet access and I'm just not willing to chance that. Yea, they could end the program and leave me hung out to dry but I'm not going to give them any more reasons (the first reason would likely be the sheer amount of data I do use)
Old 01-26-2018, 08:20 AM   #7
Site Team

I fully understand. At this point I've accepted that risk. The performance improvement is so great. But I keep waiting for ATT to contact me about it. I've only used the SIM in the mobley for less than 10 hours in 6 months. I"ve used it exclusively in the 770S Aircard.

I use it in my RV and so it gets a month of use, then a couple months without any use, then another month of use. I tend to run up about 60 to 80 gigs or so when I'm using it. I know others are using theirs much more. So, I hope my use is not standing out.

The folks that run the Mobile Internet Resource Center (Chris and Cherie) have spoken to ATT and say that the plan's terms of use do not preclude using the SIM in another device.

But I again, I understand where you're coming from. I worry about it as well.
Old 01-27-2018, 05:44 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene36542 View Post
Anyone with experience on this?
Gene, Got mine last June and used it on a month long trip during the summer and at Christmas in Nashville and found it worked all the time. I am very pleased with it. However with the satellite dish on the roof for entertainment I don't think that have used over 22 gb any billing period. I use in when traveling in the car between trips and really like it. I have the unlimited plan which is 22 gb then "throttled back" which according to reports on other threads doesn't happened. You can track usage on the ATT phone app. As an ATT customer before I got my Mobley I went for the 2 year commitment and got the Mobley free. For some comparisons If you are an FMCA member they have a Verizon 25gb then trottled back and Sprint unlimited plan =both are $49.99/mo.
Member FMCA F421963, GS Life, SKP#127220, WIT, PA,
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Robmat is offline   Reply With Quote