Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-10-2010, 10:40 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Red face Are TVs Designed for RVs Hype?

I see the following listed for a Jensen "RV TV":

1) Designed and engineered specifically for RV use
2) Built to withstand rugged road conditions, extreme temperatures, vibration and voltage variations
3) Metal chassis with reinforced internal structure and integrated mounting points

Is any of this significant or is it just hype? Jensen RV TVs appear to be significantly more expensive than regular LCD TVs which can often be purchased on sale.
TrailerFool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 10:57 AM   #2
Winnebago Owner

I have used Samsung, ViewSonic, and Westinghouse consumer TV's in my coach for about three years now with no problems. Some folks take them out for winter storage but I never have. We live in Albuquerque and have freezing weather in the winter but not nearly a severe as some of the weather in the North or Midwest. I think with a LCD the freezing doesn't damage the newer TV's like it did the originals. They just don't work when it's very cold or for that matter when it's very hot.

For several years, before I retired, my company installed LCD's on Commercial Aircraft and we had more problems with altitude than temperature. It got very cold sitting on the tarmac, say in Chicago, Alaska, or Tokyo and to my knowledge we never had to replace one because of freezing weather. We did have to replace a few during decompression testing which took them to about 20K feet very fast but in normal service the cabin was at about 8K feet and we didn't have any problems.

So at least in my opinion the hardened LCD's may be a little more immune to vibration damage but not temperatures. With today’s manufacturing methods with Surface Mounted Components and the lack of needing heavy parts like the glass tube TV's required it's just not a big deal.

Dick
Old 12-10-2010, 10:57 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

I don't believe a word of it. I've replaced my OEM TVs inside with a 37 and 32" standard LCD sets and have >30,000 miles and two years on them with no problems.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 11:01 AM   #4
I helped | retired moderator

Pure hype.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 11:30 AM   #5
Winnie-Wise

Our Aspect came with a Jenson. Designed for RV and Marine use. Suppose to take a beating. Way over priced, poor sound. It listed for $1200.0. Replaced with a $300.0 Vizio LED Better pic and sound.
2010 Ford Flex
rvten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 11:30 AM   #6
Winnebago Camper

I use Vizio tv's and I went to Jensen to compare the spec's for their tv's versus my Vizio's. No operating spec's found for Jensen, but Vizio clearly lists their operating temp, non-operating temp and altitudes. So while it may not be all hype, there is no way to compare to standard commercial tv's.
Old 12-10-2010, 12:27 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Replaced stock TV's with "Sharp" and have not encountered any problems. Suspect made for RV is mostly hype. Would not buy a Jensen anything. Poor products installed in RV when new. I ended up replacing all their products within 2 years because of failures. No help from Jensen. Out of warranty is their stock answer. I used the bedroom cd player only once before failure-"out of warranty"....

07 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 01:04 PM   #8

Products labeled RV, Marine, or Aircraft=$$$$$$$$

Old 12-10-2010, 01:44 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theberrys View Post
I... They just don't work when it's very cold or for that matter when it's very hot...
I don't know just what temps are "very cold" or Very hot" but we have had our cheapie Vizzon LCD in hot temps (well over 100F) and over 5000 miles with no problems. No loss of picture quality or sound. I know because we were looking at a DVD. While I do like a good TV (we watch movies) and our current 20 inch screen on our TV is much smaller than our former home TV (52 inch rear projection TV with surround sound... one of my daughters has it now), picture wise it is still a good picture (Enhanced High Def). We chose a fairly cheap TV for the RV because of possible damage. I did not know how it would hold up although we ran a standard CRT TV in our pop-up for decades without any problem. If you want a special "RV" tv then go for it. But an inexpensive TV holds up just as well.
Lorna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 01:53 PM   #10
Winnebago Camper

More folks simply replace defunct TVs than repair them, but the specialized RV/marine TVs are bound to be harder to get specialized parts for than the generic general run after a few years have passed...
Gary - K7GLD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 03:59 PM   #11
iRV2 Marketing

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrailerFool View Post
Is any of this significant or is it just hype? Jensen RV TVs appear to be significantly more expensive than regular LCD TVs which can often be purchased on sale.
TrailerFool, You know you could get a Panasonic ToughBook rather than a HP Pavillion. Do they both compute you bet but the ToughBook has a rhinoceros hull.

In regard to the Jensen RV TV. How do you make a TV "resilient" yet still allow the case to be "upscale" attractive so that it can be installed in high visibility areas of a modern RV? I'm thinking that there's got to be something that Jensen is doing to the TV's frame and components to justify the RV rating that they say exists in their product. If they are lying to customers and just providing a sheep in wolf's clothing I'd have to see that proven.

I'm going to stop short of calling Jensen a liar and out of hand claim their product line to be hype for the moment unless it can be proven otherwise. That said, their TVs are certainly pricey and I would not be buying one due to the price point vs performance that I could get with a residential style TV.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 04:20 PM   #12

No offense to anyone, but residential TV's are used in mid to highline motorhomes.

Old 12-10-2010, 06:36 PM   #13
Winnie-Wise

I have put TV's from WalMart and Best Buy in several RVs and never a problem.

Ken
Old 12-10-2010, 07:04 PM   #14
JC2
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrailerFool View Post
I see the following listed for a Jensen "RV TV":

1) Designed and engineered specifically for RV use
2) Built to withstand rugged road conditions, extreme temperatures, vibration and voltage variations
3) Metal chassis with reinforced internal structure and integrated mounting points

Maybe gives them an excuse to unnecessarily charge more. Residential TV's would be fine. That's all we've ever used with no problems.
Old 12-10-2010, 09:32 PM   #15
Winnebago Master

My coach is not yet four years old. My 20" Jensen in the outside entertainment center hasn't worked for the past two years. Next month I'm going to replace it with a 26" low end LED/LCD set and I plan to purchase an extended warranty on it.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 09:44 PM   #16
Winnebago Camper

If this is the same Jensen as in the car audio world, the name is synonymous with cheap junk.
Wanabee FTer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 10:13 AM   #17
Winnebago Owner

I'll put my vote in for Vizio. We installed a 32" 1080p set in the front of our MH about a year ago and it's just been awesome. Mounted it on an articulating arm so we can swing it out for storage behind it. So far so good!
RVJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 01:17 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanabee FTer View Post
If this is the same Jensen as in the car audio world, the name is synonymous with cheap junk.
Was just gonna say...
Midniteoyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 11:53 AM   #19
Winnebago Owner

Just a thought: I am supposing that the mounts for home TV's aren't designed for the bumps and shocks from travelling in an RV , particularly over bad expansion joints and potholes. I added a safety strap to mine while travelling, as it is a front mount and could knock me out if it fell while I am driving. Not saying that the Jenson is any better in that aspect, just saying...

I have a 28" Insignia that I installed a year ago (Best Buy house brand that I inherited) and I need to replace it as it gets real dim until I bonk it. Were it's electronics damaged from a rough road? Don't know. I think I can fit a 32 incher in it's place though.
CJ7ole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 11:48 AM   #20
Winnebago Owner

I have the original POS RCA that came with my Suncruiser. I guarantee that it is not "RV Rated", and it is doing fine. I will replace it when it dies with a Vizio 1080P. Moral of the story; put what you want in your coach. It comes down to what you like the looks of.
2003 Jeep GC Overland in Tow
FDchief is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rv tv