Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-14-2018, 06:27 PM   #1
View D Owner

Apple TV

Just purchased the Verizon MIFI with the unlimited data per month. I have also just purchased the Apple TV and looking forward to installing in my Winnebago 19VD tomorrow. I have the HDMI cable. I am led to believe that I will be able to watch all the TV programs through an app as long as I have 3 or 4g. Am I missing something with this and will the Apple TV box be able to sit behind the TV in the cabinet and still operate? Let me know If I left something off. Thanks
gposton58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2018, 07:33 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

Apple TV was designed for a high speed unlimited data internet connection so I fear you will have some issues using with Verizon MiFi. It will use 2-3 Gigabytes of your monthly data plan per hour of programming viewed, so you should be able to use it for at least part of the month before you exhaust your high speed data and Verizon either severely throttles your data speed or shuts your data off all together off for rest of month, depending on how your particular data plan works.

You likely will have major issues trying to use it if you don't have a LTE (4G) connection. In some cases even on 4G your share of their shared 4G data for your location won't be enough to have a good experience with the Apple TV even before you hit your data limit.

I would keep packaging and check it out quickly while your window to return the Apple TV for a store refund is open, it should say on your store receipt how long you have to return it. I suspect you won't be satisfied with how it works in your RV over a Verizon mobile data plan.

UPDATE:

My comments are in particular for the Apple TV service. You should try some of the other streaming apps that run on your Apple TV box like HULU , AMAZON FIRE TV , CBS ALL ACCESS, NETFLIX, etc. they may use less data per hour than Apple TV and work better.

A cheaper way to get streaming TV for HULU , AMAZON, NETFLIX is to get the AMAZON FIRE TV STICK for $ 30 , if you are not locked into the Apple TV Service.
powercat_ras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2018, 08:25 PM   #3
View D Owner

Thanks, I will be checking it out this weekend on a short 3 day camping trip. I appreciate your quick and thorough response.
Old 12-14-2018, 10:04 PM   #4
Site Team

We use a couple of Roku devices and they work great. I’d think the Apple TV would work just as well. Yes, all of these devices can display 4K video but they all scale back to whatever bandwidth is available. In general the minimum download speed for streaming is 2 to 3 mbps.

To check streaming compatibility when you’re camping use a computer, tablet or phone connected via your Jetpack to the internet and go to www.fast.com. You’ll see your speed right there. If it’s 3mb or better you should be good to go.

Netflix runs fast.com and they optimize its results for gauging streaming suitably.
Old 12-14-2018, 10:23 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

Apple TV is more than just streaming. It also has the Hulu, Netflix, etc., apps. Don't know if you have iPhone or iPad but with those devices you can mirror them to the Apple TV and have a nice slide show of you Photo library, or mirror your internet connection, mail, notes, anything you can see on the iPhone or iPad can be mirrored on the TV through Apple TV.

We don't use it to stream movies but we do use it to watch videos or photos on our devices.

You do not need to have WiFi/MiFi to use Apple TV for mirroring iPhone or iPad (or Apple computer) it is peer to peer. Just hook it up and go.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2018, 04:04 AM   #6
View D Owner

Great info! I will try it this weekend!
Old 12-15-2018, 09:10 AM   #7
Winnebago Master

Great, let us know what you think about it.

Recently at a rally we hooked up mine in the rally hall and did a "facetime" with one of our members. I just mirrored my iPhone to the TV we brought in. Worked fine except for the slow internet connection at the CG.
Old 12-15-2018, 09:27 AM   #8
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne M View Post
Apple TV is more than just streaming. It also has the Hulu, Netflix, etc., apps.
Hulu, Netlix, etc IS streaming. Streaming is watching any video content on your TV (tablet, phone, computer) delivered via an internet connection.
Old 12-16-2018, 09:43 AM   #9
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by creativepart View Post
Hulu, Netlix, etc IS streaming. Streaming is watching any video content on your TV (tablet, phone, computer) delivered via an internet connection.

I do know that but was pointing out, maybe not clearly, that those apps are on Apple TV and to stream them one has to have a data plan, and a robust one at that.

I should have paragraphed after the word "apps." Maybe that would have been a little better.

I'm definitely not a writer.
Old 12-22-2018, 05:30 AM   #10
Winnebago Owner

I bought a cord that allows an hdmi cable to attach to your phone or iPad, then to the tv. If the signal is strong enough your device acts the same as a streaming device. If the signal is too weak Netflix allows its shows to be downloaded to your iPhone or iPad then you can play it from the memory of your device. I went to mcdonalds for breakfast and used their WiFi to download all the shows I wanted to watch that evening. I wish Hulu did the same, but at least I got something.
pj48009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2018, 04:49 PM   #11
Winnebago Camper

I do the same. We use my iPad connected to the TV. I also have DirecTV, and it works with my att account, and doesn’t effect my data usage. Keep the Apple TV at home. Get the lightning/HDMI adapter, and enjoy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pj48009 View Post
I bought a cord that allows an hdmi cable to attach to your phone or iPad, then to the tv. If the signal is strong enough your device acts the same as a streaming device. If the signal is too weak Netflix allows its shows to be downloaded to your iPhone or iPad then you can play it from the memory of your device. I went to mcdonalds for breakfast and used their WiFi to download all the shows I wanted to watch that evening. I wish Hulu did the same, but at least I got something.
bodycoach2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2018, 04:54 PM   #12
Site Team

I have the Apple TV in my Advenrurer and love it. We use Hulu, amazon prime, Netflix, and YouTube. It works great with our AT &T unlimited plan and connects to our mifi (AT&T Night Hawk 4G/LTE). We have lots of Apple iTunes movies we’ve purchased, and try to download on my iPhone the ones we want to see that weekend.

We also stream photos and videos that we’ve taken for the day, as already mentioned. Great use of the Apple TV because you can pinch to zoom as you via the photos.

Depending on how you use it, you can burn through a lot of data. Since we have unlimited, I don’t worry about cost. However, once you reach you limit AT&T may give you a lower priority on congested cell towers. Note we have a grandfathered plan, so new plans may be different.

To cut down on data and also make streaming faster, we choose to download at less than HD and I hardly notice the difference.

Hope this helps!
Al
macnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2018, 05:44 PM   #13
Winnebago Camper

We Have MiFi

We have the Verizon mifi... and the all you can use package... unlimited ..

It's high speed for the first 15gb and then it shuts us down to very slow, sometimes good, sometimes you can wait for a while... all depends on where we are... this year we are parked in Phoenix and it does get slow... Last year in Florida it was real slow when it cut down... and this year the local park wifi isn't very reliable so we suffer with Verizon. Since we don't use it for TV and only for our 2 tablets, it lasts us about 10 days before we get cut down on throughput. Not what you will want for TV. Now maybe you can find a different Cell phone package that doesn't throttle back... that would be good.
PolarMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2018, 12:39 AM   #14
Winnebago Watcher

We have the T-Mobile unlimited 4g LTE plan on an iPad Pro. We run it through a PDQ Silver Bullet router. We are using it for our house since there isn’t good internet out here in the boonies.
We were using our Amazon Firetv Sticks, and they worked great. We finally went back to a satellite system, but we changed from Directv to Dish. We are also going to buy a dish for our RV.
Remember with a lot of the streaming apps you must pay a monthly fee or have a cable or satellite login to access the programming.
Old 12-24-2018, 07:25 AM   #15
Vietnam Veteran 1967-1970

WE too have Verizon Jet Pack with 'unlimited'. We use the Jetpack for our Internal Camera to watch our dog, report freezer, refrigerator and temp alarms produced from the coach. NOT 'continued Streaming' like TV. You are correct, it does 'idle' way down once you reach 15 gig, however it is still good for our Camera viewing, temp alarms etc. WE USE 1 of OUR SMART PHONES as a 'HOT SPOT' for video streaming. You get FULL 4G up to 15 gig, then it cuts down speed, sometimes very little, sometimes a lot, however NEVER as slow as the JETPACK. The Jetpack has a 'Fixed' slow speed when you reach the 15 gig. The 'Hot Spot' does NOT. Another words "If you are in an area that 1. has multiple cell towers, 2. UN-populated areas etc. You may NEVER see a slow down of data with your 'Hot Spot' vs Jetpack (that has a fixed slow rate). READ UP ON THE SERVICES AND 'HOW' the Data works for the Jetpack versus using your phone for a 'Hot Spot' Good luck, We are considering DROPPING our Jet Pack and add a 3rd CP line JUST FOR a 'Hot Spot' because it handles the Unlimited? Data better, a different way!
Joshua 24:15
GBFANKEN is offline   Reply With Quote