Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-11-2014, 09:26 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Apple TV

I have the HDMI cable from my computer to the TV. Great picture, but I believe I need a PC line to get sound.

I could connect my Apple TV, but when on the road there is no internet. Can you connect a router to make the Apple TV work while on the road?? I don't have a cell phone so I can't use a cell phone for a router. Can any Winnebago owners help with this question??
rottenkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 10:55 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

I'm not an Apple TV user but seems to me that sound should also be carried via your HDMI.

Connecting Apple TV to a router when traveling won't do much good without having an internet provider to feed the connection to the router. Most campground wifi just won't handle the bandwidth to stream movies, etc.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 01:53 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

RickO is right.. the apple TV supports audio out via the HDMI, but your TV has to support that too. i still have the old 2005 Flat screen that came with the coach, so i have HDMI to DVI adapter. which DOESNT support Audio. The Apple TV also supports Fiber audio connection OUT, but then you have to have a receiver to accept IN. so sadly, in my case, i can't use the apple tv until i upgrade to a newer TV to use the HDMI audio. today I connect my Macbook to the TV and use computer speakers in the line out audio jack off the macbook. not the greatest setup, but it works.
-mike
CigarBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 02:24 PM   #4
Winnebago Watcher

I had an Apple TV set up in my MH. Yes you need a router if you want to steam content from your iPhone, iPad or laptop to the Apple TV.
Old 06-11-2014, 05:17 PM   #5
Site Team

When iOS 8 is out in October, a router will no longer be needed to stream from an iPhone or iPad or Mac notebook to an Apple TV. You will be able to stream directly to the device! Maybe Tim Cook has a motorhome, too! :-)

2013 Itasca Sunstar 26HE, 2014 Honda CRV with Roadmaster tow package, RVing on weekends and vacation since June 2012
macnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 05:20 PM   #6
Site Team

I use an Apple TV in my RV., and sound is carried through the HDMI cable along with the video. No other cable or other connection for sound is needed.

2013 Itasca Sunstar 26HE, 2014 Honda CRV with Roadmaster tow package, RVing on weekends and vacation since June 2012
Old 06-11-2014, 05:21 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by macnut View Post
When iOS 8 is out in October, a router will no longer be needed to stream from an iPhone or iPad or Mac notebook to an Apple TV. You will be able to stream directly to the device! Maybe Tim Cook has a motorhome, too! :-)

Interesting, but won't an internet service provider still be required?

The OP doesn't have a cell phone.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
Old 06-11-2014, 06:18 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

My Winnebago is the 2013 26 HE. I'm limited on my computer knowledge. My computer is an OSX Mac 10.9.3. I can use my apple TV at home because I have internet service, which is very expensive in rural areas in Canada. I understand that I need to stream from my computer to get the apple TV to work on the motor homes TV.
I don't know why when i connect the HDMI to my computer that I can't get sound on the TV.
Old 06-11-2014, 09:12 PM   #9
Site Team

Apple TV

Quote:
Originally Posted by macnut View Post
I use an Apple TV in my RV., and sound is carried through the HDMI cable along with the video. No other cable or other connection for sound is needed.

Ok, I had a brain lapse...I connect my iPad to the HDTV in the RV using the iPad to HDMI cable made by Apple.
http://www.amazon.com/Apple-MD826ZM-...+to+hdmi+cable

You can connect your Mac to an HDTV using this: http://store.apple.com/us/product/HF...er-4k?fnode=51
However, if your Mac was made before 2010, it may not work.

This allows me to watch anything I have on my iPad on the tv, including movies I have brought with me and videos/music I stream form the net. However, downloading movies would take high bandwidth.

I really want to add an Apple TV to do the same thing wirelessly. Right now I'd also have to add a router. With iOS 8 I will be able to do that wirelessly and effortlessly. I still would not stream movies from netflix, for instance, unless I had a really fast wifi connection while camping...which I've never had yet...and would never you my 10G/month AT&T data plan for streaming movies.

Anyway, I hope this helps.
Al

Old 06-15-2014, 09:05 AM   #10
Winnebago Watcher

I use an Apple AirPort router to stream from iPad to Apple TV. ISP not needed for this to work.

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
trun57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 01:43 PM   #11
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by trun57 View Post
I use an Apple AirPort router to stream from iPad to Apple TV. ISP not needed for this to work.

Where is your ipad getting the data you are streaming? Stored on the iPad?
spinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 01:44 PM   #12
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by rottenkid View Post
My Winnebago is the 2013 26 HE. I'm limited on my computer knowledge. My computer is an OSX Mac 10.9.3. I can use my apple TV at home because I have internet service, which is very expensive in rural areas in Canada. I understand that I need to stream from my computer to get the apple TV to work on the motor homes TV.
I don't know why when i connect the HDMI to my computer that I can't get sound on the TV.
Make sure your computer is set to output sound over hdmi, you may be only outputting to the computers sound system
spinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 01:47 PM   #13
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by trun57 View Post

Please help me understand how this works.

Are you only viewing content which resides on your iPad or are you viewing content via the internet? If via the internet, how are you accessing it without an ISP?

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
Old 06-15-2014, 02:41 PM   #14
Winnebago Owner

Content can be on a local computer or local server or remote via the internet. If viewing remotely via the internet an internet connection is needed, else not needed.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 03:37 PM   #15
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by spinn View Post
Make sure your computer is set to output sound over hdmi, you may be only outputting to the computers sound system
I agree. With HDMI cable connected between computer and to the TV and both on, go to Apple menu and open System Preferences and Sound. Under Output you should be able to select other output besides internal speakers.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 10:49 PM   #16
Winnebago Watcher

Yes. Typically movies I downloaded with I-Tunes at home.

trun57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 10:50 AM   #17
Winnebago Owner

Thanks for all the replies. I purchased the Airport Express Base Station. I can now view all my movies anytime while in our motor home. Even the Apple store workers were not sure this would work, but the they finally said it would.
Old 06-17-2014, 11:07 AM   #18
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by rottenkid View Post
Thanks for all the replies. I purchased the Airport Express Base Station. I can now view all my movies anytime while in our motor home. Even the Apple store workers were not sure this would work, but the they finally said it would.
Where is the Airport Express getting it's connection to the internet?

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 05:18 PM   #19
Winnebago Owner

You don't need an internet connection to view your computer. The airport express acts like having the internet and sends the signal to Apple TV. That is how I believe it works. All I really know is that I have the setup in our Winnebago Vista 26 He now. I have watched a movie will sitting in the motor home. I have my computer on and my hard drive with all my movies which sends mirror image to the TV in the motor home. I wish I could turn off the computer screen will watching the TV, but I all I can do is lower the laptop scree down low enough not to have the picture shoing on the laptop.
Old 06-17-2014, 06:44 PM   #20
Winnebago Watcher

the express creates a wifi network. any computer, phone, tablet or in this case the Apple TV can then connect to that network. Here is the cool part. You can either stream from one of the apple products via the network created by the express, or if there is available wifi in the area, the express can receive that signal and share it within the network too. So your Apple TV in that case could use the wifi from the express' network and stream netflix, hulu or itunes, etc.
DBTulsa is offline   Reply With Quote