Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Tech | Toys and Gear
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 06-17-2014, 07:47 PM   #21
Winnie-Wise

I understand, I use an Airport Express, Apple TV, iPad, and Macbook Pro. I've also used a HDMI cable from the iPad and Macbook Pro and with an adaptor on the MBP hooked directly to the TV. You're just playing saved or DVD data through the wifi signal from computer to Airport to Apple TV. I thought you were getting internet through the air in some new way.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 08:26 PM   #22
Winnebago Master

Wow! 5 years ago we started out with the iPad-1 (Original) and at that time I purchased some external connectors. The first TV had only VGA input and the iPad outputted both audio and video. Subsequently we had the iPad2, and now the iPad4 and both are able to output an HDMI signal of both video and audio without any other connections.

I have a MAC Mini that will do the same thing, and a MACBOOK Pro that will do the same thing. Not other audio cables are required, just HDMI.

Knowing what model TV you have may help to identifiy if it is capable of HDMI full capabilities.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2014, 07:22 PM   #23
Winnie-Wise

Some MacBooks had a strange proprietary HDMI output plugin, in 2009 to 2011 or so. This connection did not carry sound - only picture. Lately, MacBooks have changed to the common HDMI type plug, and these carry sound.
danhannah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2014, 07:40 PM   #24
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by danhannah View Post
Some MacBooks had a strange proprietary HDMI output plugin, in 2009 to 2011 or so. This connection did not carry sound - only picture. Lately, MacBooks have changed to the common HDMI type plug, and these carry sound.
It's not a 'strange proprietary HDMI port', it's called a 'Mini DisplayPort' that outputs high definition video. Adaptors can be had that changes it to a HDMI, VGI, or DVI video output. It didn't include an audio output through the mini display port, but there is an audio in/out.

The newer MBP notebooks still don't have an HDMI port, they have a 'Thunderbolt' port that also can accept an adaptor for HDMI, VGI, or DVI, but is also capable of very high definition or multiple monitors.

Bob & Donna
Old 12-06-2014, 08:07 PM   #25
Winnebago Camper

Apple TV, WiFi Ranger, iPad mini retina

Title describes my system. I have the WiFi Ranger with the new XT antenna. I can see many networks and some are open. A few allow me to stream video to Apple TV.

Biggest help is at campgrounds that advertise WiFi, but have weak signals at the site. Ranger cures that problem.
Laker44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2014, 09:44 PM   #26
Winnebago Owner

Apple TV

I use Apple TV with iOS 8 on my iPhone 5 to stream peer to peer directly (no router needed). My content source is a Dish Hopper with SlingBox located in the sticks and bricks. I stream from the source over the 4G connection because I have unlimited data plan.

If doing the same with the HDMI adapter and cable only high quality video mode works. With the Apple TV I can do standard mode. Standard mode requires less bandwidth resulting in a more reliable connection.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 12:31 PM   #27
Winnie-Wise

True enough about the Mini DisplayPort. I was oversimplifying.

Not true info about the HDMI. Both my new MacBook Pros have a standard HDMI port with audio as well as a few thunderbolt ports. Solves everything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFlinn181 View Post
It's not a 'strange proprietary HDMI port', it's called a 'Mini DisplayPort' that outputs high definition video. Adaptors can be had that changes it to a HDMI, VGI, or DVI video output. It didn't include an audio output through the mini display port, but there is an audio in/out.

The newer MBP notebooks still don't have an HDMI port, they have a 'Thunderbolt' port that also can accept an adaptor for HDMI, VGI, or DVI, but is also capable of very high definition or multiple monitors.
danhannah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2014, 10:34 PM   #28
Winnebago Watcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by rottenkid View Post
I have the HDMI cable from my computer to the TV. Great picture, but I believe I need a PC line to get sound.

I could connect my Apple TV, but when on the road there is no internet. Can you connect a router to make the Apple TV work while on the road?? I don't have a cell phone so I can't use a cell phone for a router. Can any Winnebago owners help with this question??
I think for the Apple TV to work you need to be connected to a network. Now, I was thinking on doing the same thing by using my Ipad as a hotspot then connect the Apple TV to see if it work. I havent dont it yet because the RV i want to buy is not ready yet. When I try this I will drop you a note with my finding. Good luck amigo

Hector
Hector1959 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2014, 11:32 PM   #29
Site Team

If the movie is already on your iPad or iPhone, then you can show it on the AppleTV even if it is not connected to a network, as iOS 8 allows peer to peer sharing.
macnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 07:41 AM   #30
Winnebago Watcher

Hi guys.

Modern computers and notebook based on a Intel chipset and that have a HDMI output, will stream the audio to a HDMi equipped TV. If you have an older computer (usually greater than four years), the HDMI may not support audio. If it's a PC and you have an avaiable PCI Express x16 expansion slot, you can purchase a video card for around $50 that will provide HDMI with audio.

With reguard to the Apple TV, it depends on how you plan to use it. If you want to use a streaming service to watch movies like Netflix's, that can be an issue over a 3G connection... you would usually need LTE with a unlimited bandwidth. You can get a LTE wireless router for about $80 however you wll also have to get the sim card and sign up for the service. Streaming HD content takes a lot of megabits and a HD movie may be a gigabyte or more. This can be very expensive.

If on the other hand you want to use the Apple TV to play movies that are stored on your PC, notebook, or a NAS in your coach, than you do not require a LTE router but just a wireless router. After setting it up, all your devices in the coach that are both wired to the router and connected to it wirelessly, will be able to share information and you can play a movie located on one device at another. In my day job, we manuafacturer and sell all sorts of equipment for use in RV's and boats which is why I'm interested in getting a RV (yes I don't have one yet).

Since I'm such a movie fan, I will be installing a wireless router in my own RV along with a NAS, and a least one media center PC. I have over 3000 movies stored in my home NAS so naturally I'll want them on the road with me. I may purchaase a LTE wireless router just so I can surf the internet, email, and download stuff from any device in my coach but I won't using it for streaming content.

You can Google these devices to find out more or just create a post and I'll respond. I welcome any chance to share my expertise considering the incredible amount of knowledge I've gotten from you folks that will help me make the rigth decision about which RV is for me.

Paul.
PaulJohn6969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 07:52 AM   #31
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hector1959 View Post
I think for the Apple TV to work you need to be connected to a network. Now, I was thinking on doing the same thing by using my Ipad as a hotspot then connect the Apple TV to see if it work. I havent dont it yet because the RV i want to buy is not ready yet. When I try this I will drop you a note with my finding. Good luck amigo

Hector
The Apple TV can be wirelessly connected to your computer and linked to your iTunes. Then, any movie in you iTunes can be played. Having said that, it has been my experience that this works sometimes and for no apparent reason does not work the next time.
jones47172 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 09:44 AM   #32
Winnebago Master

Ah, technology, don't you love it!

With IOS 8(+), as I understand it, and I'm liable to be corrected, you can connect to Apple TV using Airplay, and you do not need to be connected to a network. If you have your Apple TV set to "everyone," then anyone walking into your area can show what they have on their screen through Apple TV to a monitor or TV. Airplay just needs to be turned on. For the more security minded, the protocal can be set to "Contacts only," or just turned of and no streaming via Airplay.

Read Article

Just found this article.
Information on Airplay
Old 12-18-2014, 10:44 PM   #33
Site Team

Wayne, that's just right and a great feature. In addition to showing movies stored on my iPad, when friends are over they can use their iPhone to share photos with the AppleTV on our HDTV.
macnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2014, 08:05 AM   #34
Winnebago Master

I cannot pry the iPad-4 out of DW's hands, however, she does have an unlimited data plan on that device. Consider if I could use it for a couple hours we could stream movies via Airplay to the Apple TV and never use up the data plan. Hmmm! Maybe I can get here a newer model and have her "old" one for me.

Nah! Never going to happen.

Next time on the road I'm going to tag along the Apple TV and give it a try.
Old 12-19-2014, 09:52 AM   #35
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne M View Post
I cannot pry the iPad-4 out of DW's hands, however, she does have an unlimited data plan on that device. Consider if I could use it for a couple hours we could stream movies via Airplay to the Apple TV and never use up the data plan. Hmmm! Maybe I can get here a newer model and have her "old" one for me.

Nah! Never going to happen.

Next time on the road I'm going to tag along the Apple TV and give it a try.
Maybe it's just the terms you used, but as I understand Airplay, it allows content to be played between an Apple device and the Apple TV to be displayed on the TV. The content must be stored on the Apple device OR streamed from a cell phone data provider. You could stream content from a WiFi source if it could handle the bandwidth or was open to streaming sources. Otherwise you'd be the campground 'bandwidth hog' slowing down everyone's connection.

Bob & Donna
Old 12-20-2014, 11:51 AM   #36
Winnebago Camper

You need a HDMI 2.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by rottenkid View Post
I have the HDMI cable from my computer to the TV. Great picture, but I believe I need a PC line to get sound.

I could connect my Apple TV, but when on the road there is no internet. Can you connect a router to make the Apple TV work while on the road?? I don't have a cell phone so I can't use a cell phone for a router. Can any Winnebago owners help with this question??
I have the same setup as you. The HDMI does not support the compressed audio sound but the HDMI 2.0 cable does. I have an HDMI 2 on my MacBook Pro to my Samsung flat screen. Great sound. Check with a Best Buy or Fryes store if you don't have an Apple store handy.
michealwhela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2014, 10:06 AM   #37
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Maybe it's just the terms you used, but as I understand Airplay, it allows content to be played between an Apple device and the Apple TV to be displayed on the TV. The content must be stored on the Apple device OR streamed from a cell phone data provider. You could stream content from a WiFi source if it could handle the bandwidth or was open to streaming sources. Otherwise you'd be the campground 'bandwidth hog' slowing down everyone's connection.
Bob,
This is a direct quote from Apple:
"A faster way for friends to wirelessly connect to your Apple TV.

Peer-to-peer AirPlay lets visitors to your home or office quickly and easily connect their Mac or iOS device to your Apple TV without gaining passwords and connecting to the Wi-Fi network. Apple TV detects their device and makes the connection. So they can show off photos, share documents, stream movies, or play music right on your TV. Simple as that.2"

"2.Peer-to-peer AirPlay requires a Mac (2012 or later) with OS X Yosemite or an iOS device (late 2012 or later) with iOS 8; and an Apple TV (3rd generation rev A, model A1469 or later) with Apple TV software 7.0 or later."

The only data that it uses is whatever you may be viewing on the device sending the Airplay data. If you are downloading a video, then the data rates for your system would apply. If you have stored video, pictures, etc., on the iPhone or iPad, then there is no data being (downlaoded) streamed to the device and the information is sent to the Apple TV with no fees. That is what I have read and understand of the system.

Most assuredly if you were downloading content to an iPhone or iPad and streaming it to your TV you would be using up your data plan, or bogging down the CG's WiFi. I think the original point is that you can stream to the Apple TV using Airplay. How one gets the data to do that is up to them. I'm sitting at the S&B with 60Mbs download speeds and when someone in the family wants to view a YouTube video and send it to the TV it doesn't coast me any more $$ than my monthly service plan. Being on the road and in an RV using Cell coverage, MiFi, CG Wifi, changes all that.

Hope that clears it up.

Airdrop is another Apple feature that will send pictures, etc., from one apple device to another. (phone to phone, or MAC to MAC, if newer MAC and OS's up to date) If the "Contacts Only" feature is selected, WiFi and Bluetooth need to be turned on for the devices to use Airdrop. If the "Everyone" is selected it is peer-to-peer. Airdrop is Apple's proprietary wireless technology.
Old 12-21-2014, 11:02 AM   #38
Winnie-Wise

Thanks Wayne. The thing is, unless you have the content stored on a hard drive, memory stick, or DVD you have to get it from somewhere when away from your home network. I have an Apple TV and enjoy it at home, but see little advantage to taking with in RV because of that limitation. While in the RV, we read books or occasionally rent a movie from Redbox. To try to stream from the campground WiFi or our data plan for the iPhones just isn't worth the hassle or $$. I do carry cables and adaptors to hook my Macbook Pro, iPad, or iPhone to the TV if we want to.

Bob & Donna
Old 12-21-2014, 12:19 PM   #39
Winnebago Watcher

Quote:
Thanks Wayne. The thing is, unless you have the content stored on a hard drive, memory stick, or DVD you have to get it from somewhere when away from your home network. I have an Apple TV and enjoy it at home, but see little advantage to taking with in RV because of that limitation. While in the RV, we read books or occasionally rent a movie from Redbox. To try to stream from the campground WiFi or our data plan for the iPhones just isn't worth the hassle or $$. I do carry cables and adaptors to hook my Macbook Pro, iPad, or iPhone to the TV if we want to.
Another option is to take a collection of movies and TV shows along, on your laptop or iDevice drive, to watch while on the road. I currently have 44 movies and a few (full season) TV shows on my MacBook Pro which I'll watch on our next trip (leaving just after Christmas), viewing them through our Apple TV.

Though most RV park wi-fi systems are poor and slow, they are much better during the night when everyone is sleeping. Many of these will support the downloading of torrents during these slow low traffic hours, enabling you to watch them at your convenience. One of the other positive features of torrent files is that if you don't get a complete file download one day, you can connect again another day from a different site and continue with the download.
Old 12-21-2014, 02:20 PM   #40
Winnebago Master

Quote:
You are correct in that you need to have the information stored. If using the Internet you may have to pay for the streaming, depending on your plan. If your MacBookPro is 2012 or newer, anything on it can be sent to Apple TV, even plugging the USB into the MacBookPro and then sent to Apple TV using Airplay.

There are many different variations of hook-ups and playback. The key "stored" and that does not cost anything to send the information to the Apple TV if nothing is connected to a media for downloading. Video's you have stored on your MacBookPro can be sent via Airplay to Apple TV, free. Also stored information on you iPhone or iPad can be sent free.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron_H View Post
Another option is to take a collection of movies and TV shows along, on your laptop or iDevice drive, to watch while on the road. I currently have 44 movies and a few (full season) TV shows on my MacBook Pro which I'll watch on our next trip (leaving just after Christmas), viewing them through our Apple TV.
[...]
Me too!