Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-22-2007, 03:58 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

For those that replaced the radio...

I would like to replace the existing RV radio (which is cr*ppy). Since it is 1.5Din, what did you replace it with. If you put in a 1DIN size unit, how did you cover the gap(holes)? Any other problems you encountered?

Post a pic too?

Thanks in advance...
Old 03-22-2007, 03:58 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

For those that replaced the radio...

I would like to replace the existing RV radio (which is cr*ppy). Since it is 1.5Din, what did you replace it with. If you put in a 1DIN size unit, how did you cover the gap(holes)? Any other problems you encountered?

Post a pic too?

Thanks in advance...
Old 03-22-2007, 04:01 PM   #3
Winnie-Wise

I believe that you can replace your radio with just about anything you desire. Any good automotive installation shop can supply you with a plate to cover any exposed opening if you decide on a smaller radio. I am sure you will get more advice form other members who have replaced theirs.
Kazoo Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007, 07:02 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Check out Crutchfield - Stereothey can probably help you out.
Old 03-24-2007, 04:05 AM   #5

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by LandHo:

I would like to replace the existing RV radio (which is cr*ppy).
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's an understatement!!
FrontRangeRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2007, 04:44 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

I wasnt thinking CRA**Y,I was thinking POS!!!!
My first one lost the audio output,and the one they replaced it with
has a scratchy vol. control. But it does sound better AFTER I changed
all 4 speakers..

I am sure the replacement radio was one sommeone returned, but they
knew maybe I would be happy with it as it did make noise....TENN.
Old 03-24-2007, 08:26 AM   #7
Winnebago Watcher

Circuit City carries a generic faceplate kit for GM cars with several different face plates for about twenty bucks. GM uses 1.5 DIN radios a lot. Had to cut off some plastic tabs then superglued the face plate to the rv dash, slipped in a DIN radio that my ipod plugs into and away we went. Biggest pain was matching the wiring from the old radio to the new one. The legend on the radio didn't match the wires I was seeing. The OEM manual had the wiring matched to the position on the plug-in on the back of the radio and I was able to figure it out from that. Good Luck and good tunes. PS the speakers are next.
HELISKIER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2007, 08:57 AM   #8
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by HELISKIER:
Circuit City carries a generic faceplate kit for GM cars with several different face plates for about twenty bucks. GM uses 1.5 DIN radios a lot. Had to cut off some plastic tabs then superglued the face plate to the rv dash, slipped in a DIN radio that my ipod plugs into and away we went. Biggest pain was matching the wiring from the old radio to the new one. The legend on the radio didn't match the wires I was seeing. The OEM manual had the wiring matched to the position on the plug-in on the back of the radio and I was able to figure it out from that. Good Luck and good tunes. PS the speakers are next. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

When I changed mine out on my previus coach I was having trouble matching up the harness so I brought the old radio and harness adapter with me to Circuit City and they very quickly and inexpensivly took the plug that matched the new radio and properly attached it to the harness from the old one. It took all the guess work out of it and for less than $20 turned this into about a ten minute job. That new Sony Explode with wireless remote was a very nice addition to the coach.
Old 03-24-2007, 10:34 AM   #9
Winnebago Camper

Send a message via Skype™ to George Miklas
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by HELISKIER:
...Biggest pain was matching the wiring from the old radio to the new one. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I replaced the OEM radio (AM/FM/CD) in my 2000 Georgie Boy Pursuit with a Chrysler AM/FM/CD/Cassette. The OEM had a smaller opening (1 DIN I think), and the Chrysler was larger (1.5 DIN I think). I cut the hole larger and trimmed it. The biggest pain was figuring out the wiring.

gm
George Miklas is offline   Reply With Quote