Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-21-2016, 02:13 PM   #21
Winnebago Camper

[QUOTE=Blastvalve;3383095]
Quote:
Originally Posted by LSC9901 View Post
I totally agree that the ham radio service would be far better. I've dabbled in electronics for more years than I care to admit BUT ....... I do not hold a license nor do my son and son in law. They have more than enough on their plates without adding the cost of equipment and time to study for and take the exam.
Quote:

Now see, your first mistake is assuming your Son In Law actually wants to be able to talk to you on those long trips. Maybe he bought his own to avoid that?
Maybe I wrote son in law there just to be nice without actually meaning it !!!

For the curious readers ..... yes he is my son in law

LSC9901 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2016, 03:59 PM   #22
Winnebago Owner

Best Son In Law you have too!!!

For all looking to help him with CB, save my ears and give him bad advice!
Old 12-21-2016, 04:21 PM   #23
Winnebago Camper

I didn't choose him ......

That was my daughters mistake

Old 12-21-2016, 04:39 PM   #24
Winnie-Wise

I mounted my CB antenna on the side of the MH. I found a spot where the inside is behind the back of a cabinet. The backs of my overhead cabinets are removable so access was easy. I then ran the cable behind the cabinets and down the "A" pillar. I added a spring mount so the antenna will give if it hits a tree or other obstruction.

I will take pictures tomorrow and post them here.

UFO Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2016, 05:09 PM   #25
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Do you have photos of this? I cannot imagine whip antenna (102" ?????) on a mirror plus a whip antenna requires a ground plane as I recall.

Two issues. If I'm gonna put holes in my fiberglass body it will not be on the roof. A 12" square really won't provide much of a ground plane and I'm not looking to have a cable outside of the MH.

I'm really looking for a permanent solution with a NGP with photos for a CB antenna.
While a 12" square is not an optimal ground plane it will act as one. Make it larger if you have the room. No screws needed in the roof - 3M VHB tape or Sikaflex will keep it in place. I've never been a fan of the performance of NGP antennas. IMHO, YMMV.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2016, 05:32 PM   #26
Winnebago Camper

Where are you running your cable ?

Old 12-21-2016, 06:55 PM   #27
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Where are you running your cable ?
I don't have a big problem with making a hole in the roof. Dicor and a through yearly inspection and reseal as needed assures no leaks. I like using a Winegard entry plate, they make single and multiple wire versions.

https://www.amazon.com/Winegard-CE10.../dp/B003H2NFR8
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2016, 02:22 PM   #28
Winnebago Owner

Luckily our motorhome came with the factory installed mount on the roof. It even talks about how to hook it up in the owners manual. I installed one when we got the camper (actually replaced the old one) for various reasons.

I think that mount will work fine if you can get to the inside. As others said biggest ground plane the better. I took our cabinet apart to see what they did on the roof and there was only a small 6x6 plate inside with a heavy ground wire run to the frame. I was able to get a decent vswr but not great. As i really only use it to listen and talk to my father when he is following i never messed with it much more.
Old 01-12-2017, 10:03 AM   #29
Winnebago Owner

i have a tyt Th8900 in the coach and a th-uvf8 handy talky it works great the handy talky only cost me about 50$ and the 8900 was about 250 the was less than new batteries for my old icom the 9800 is a quad band an i can receive cb for road reports. i mounted the antenna to the ladder ran a ground line to the frame it works great..will take the general test this winter

Gordie Connelly
KB8HFC
Gordiegaffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 11:08 PM   #30
Winnebago Owner

We just installed a Fire Stik on our 2005 Journey today. We replaced the one that was already on it but didn't work. It was a big job. They did not make access easy but my husband did a wonderful job. We had already bought a new cb radio and tried hooking it up to the existing one and it just wouldn't work. When he finally got the wire fished out he found that the ground wire was never connected to a ground point. But, it was in a position that he could not reattach it. The new antennae works great and we were able to tune it in our driveway.
maryinreddin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 10:03 AM   #31
Winnebago Camper

Radios and RVing

I have been operating mobile since 1970 with radios in cars and in RV's since 1974.

My father in-law had a CB station at home and in his motorhome when I married, so we installed a CB in the car and soon had a CB station at home. Camping and traveling with the wife's parents was better because of the CB. In the early 70's they dropped licensing and the language became unsuitable for the family and we left CB and switched to ham radio.

I could still tune CB frequencies and listen to traffic reports while driving. But if I wanted to talk while driving using ham radio was far better. I learned to use phone patches and could literally get a patch to a landline while traveling to speak with family and gather family news.

Now, with cell phones, having two way radio may appear less important. But getting the traffic news by monitoring CB channel 19 still makes the CB capability worth while. Having ham radio means even when fully off the road boon docking with no cellular coverage, I can still be reached and reach out if I need to.

If you visit QRZ.COM W6LMJ you will see what I am doing with cars and RV's today. I like APRS, so I am using a TM710G for APRS and VHF/UHF voice. I use a glass mount UHF/VHF for the TM710G. Not only can family and friends see where I am but they ca also send text messages and email linked message world-wide to me. This is the link to the APRS page https://aprs.fi/#!call=a%2FW6LMJ&tim...3600&tail=3600

For HF I have an Icom 7100 and an ALS-500M amplifier. I am planning to mount a Little Tarheel with top cap on the side of the motorhome using a Tarheel mounting bracket, with backplate, to hold the antenna. If you go to the Tarheel website and look at the photos I believe you can see one mounted on a Vista. When camping I put a trailer hitch flag pole support in the trailer hitch receiver and put a Comet CH250B on ten feet of pipe for 80 through 6 meter operation.

I am a bit of a fanatic about amateur radio. The wife is an Extra Class and insured five of our six kids licensed. We now have three son in-laws and two grand children licensed. It is a family affair. Good luck with your CB and ham radio installation efforts. Doing both can enhance the RVing experience.
W6LMJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
antenna, install