Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-29-2013, 08:23 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Another NO Sound from Front TV while on Satellite...please help!

I did some research on here earlier today and found some really good threads on this issue, but none of the info seemed to resolve my issue.

Just got a old standard definition satellite receiver hooked up to my new to me rv which already had a pre-existing dish on the roof and "old school" Sony tube tv.

Reception and picture are great. Problem is.....very little sound comes out of the tv or surround sound speakers. It doesn't matter what sat channel I'm on. I have to turn tv volume full blast to barely hear sound. Whenever I use the DVD player or the OTA antenna digital receiver I get perfect sound from tv and surround sound.

I have tried to bypass the coax out to tv from back of receiver and used the RCA cables too, but still only faint sound is heard. I haven't looked at the back of the tv or the component switch box yet.

Any ideas to check? I'm about to start learning how to read lips!
AJ
Old 01-29-2013, 09:17 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

There is actually a sound level control on the satellite receiver. In satellite mode, point the remote at the receiver and increase the volume as you would for the TV.
1999 Jeep Cherokee & 1991 Jeep Wrangler Renegade
John Hilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 08:51 AM   #3
Winnebago Camper

I tried that with the universal remote I had. I had to program the remote for the RCA brand receiver and it controlls if fine for changing channels and stuff. I dont see any volume bars on the TV when you adjust it from the Sat Remote. Will try again tonight. thanks for the Tip.
Old 01-30-2013, 09:05 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

What do you have DirecTV or Dish and what receiver. The universal remote might not have that function.
1999 Jeep Cherokee & 1991 Jeep Wrangler Renegade
John Hilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 01:08 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

I have direct TV and it is a old RCA Standard Def Receiver.(dont have the model number with me) I used a newer direct tv universal remote and programed it to the receiver.
Old 01-30-2013, 05:07 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

Some times you need to go into the menu setting on the sat receiver and look at the audio options. There could be 3 or 4 different options and one could be "Fixed" sound. Try the different options in the audio output settings of the sat recvr. Also see if there is an special audio input settings on the television. I'm assuming from what you have said that these are "older" sets.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 10:39 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

If you are connecting the Receiver to the TV with RG6 cable, the tv controls the sound. Go through the TV set menus and check for audio settings. If you are connecting the 2 units via RCA cables or S-video cable, the TV must be set to that input. make sure the TV sound is not muted as well.
ghutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 11:10 AM   #8
Winnebago Camper

Well I gave up and had direct tv send me a new receiver. Just got it in the mail. Gonna hook it up later today and call them to activate it. Will advise if my problem is resolved. Thanks much.
Old 02-10-2013, 06:34 PM   #9
Winnebago Camper

Well after all of that troubleshooting, it was a bad Sat Receiver. Just got the new one hooked up and activated and everything is good to go. Thanks for all the help!
Old 02-11-2013, 03:52 PM   #10
Winnie-Wise

JonseR, welcome to the forum and the 39K family. If someone hasn't mentioned it, there are several of us 39K owners on the forum and we all talk to each other about issues, problems, improvements, etc. We are all here to help, as you just found out with your receiver, so feel free to search us out on the forum. Good luck, sir.
Old 02-11-2013, 06:02 PM   #11
Winnebago Owner

There are a pair of RCA plugs that come out of the rear of the TV. One or both of them may be unplugged. The amplifier in the lower front compartment may be unplugged or not working
lwasouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 08:44 AM   #12
Winnebago Owner

A problem we've had with our digital cable, no sound on some channels, was resolved by going to the "language" selection in the menu and switching it to Spanish, then back to English.