Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Tech | Toys and Gear
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 01-06-2008, 09:10 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Boy am I confused. Just read "Highways", and a letter on page 26 said TV's made before March 2007 will not receive digital signal. My MH is a 2005 Adventurer, with a Sony Trinitron up front and an RCA TruFlat in rear , so my TV is maybe a 2004. OK, on campground cable it will not matter, but when I have my Winngard batwing up will I get readable signal? Does anyone know? Since we seldom watch TV while vacationing, I don't want to invest in satellite.
kalynzoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 09:10 AM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Boy am I confused. Just read "Highways", and a letter on page 26 said TV's made before March 2007 will not receive digital signal. My MH is a 2005 Adventurer, with a Sony Trinitron up front and an RCA TruFlat in rear , so my TV is maybe a 2004. OK, on campground cable it will not matter, but when I have my Winngard batwing up will I get readable signal? Does anyone know? Since we seldom watch TV while vacationing, I don't want to invest in satellite.
kalynzoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 09:29 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

When the switch is finally made from analog to digital, you will need a converter box unless you have a digital receiver. I just heard a news report mentioning the government will be offering a $40 coupon towards the converter, but I don't believe that since I haven't corroborated the story.

This situation is like when I was a kid and the UHF channels were added. Most TVs only tuned 2-13 so the family had to buy the UHF converter.

If you want to get a jump on the situation, Winegard sells the digital converter box now - check out Camping World's web site.

2005 Horizon 40AD, 2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
John_Canfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 09:49 AM   #4
Winnebago Camper

John is correct. Unless you have a newer television with a ATSC digital tuner you will need to use a converter box. The government will make availavble (2) two, $40.00 coupons per household.

If on most cable systems or satellite reception the cable box will not be required.
Dick A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 09:56 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

If you go to the "Technology, Internet, Cell Phones" forum on this site, there is a discussion going on about this under the title "TV Digital Converter Boxes".

One of the things to note is that there is apparently a 90 day time limit to use your $40 coupon. However, because it is early and prices may drop, or the technology might change, I would hesitate to jump on the bandwagon and get a converter box at this stage (IMHO).

Jeep Wrangler
Gary the Wombat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 12:18 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Here is the site for the $40 coupon.
TV Converter Program Website

1999 Chieftain 35U
RonTon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 01:56 PM   #7
Winnie-Wise

Send a message via Yahoo to vicsryd
The converters aren't expected to be in stores until March. The Fed e-card coupons won't be mailed until then. The 90 day expiration is set at the time the e-card is mailed. So in that sense there is little risk in applying for the cards today.

There may be changes in the market which will combine the converter function with other features. However, the e-card coupon will only be applicable to a fixed set of basic models from approved manufacturers and the approval cycle is apparently closed. So be aware if you plan to wait until there is more bang for the buck then the $40 subsidy won't be applicable to that purchase.

Also, see you may be interested in the discussion I just started, DTV Transition and Cable TV. I'm fearful that cable in RV parks will in fact be impacted to some degree.

vicsryd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 05:48 AM   #8
Winnebago Master

By the time digital takes effect boxes will be $10. Walgreens, CVS and dollar stores will have them.

We have DirecTV and have never used the roof on air antenna.

I'm not doing anything until digital is in effect.

-Tom
Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 08:28 AM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Would you be able to service two TV's with one box if it was connected after the antenna but before the splitter box?
Old 01-07-2008, 03:14 PM   #10
Winnebago Camper

They will do only one channel at a time so you could use two TV's but they will be on the same program.

1999 Chieftain 35U
RonTon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 02:08 AM   #11
Winnebago Master

I am with you TOM N. This whole digital TV thing is getting blown out of proportion. First of all the lousy TV programming isn't going to get any better, so why the rush to buy equipment. I will wait until I have to and then I will not want to.
Izzyblueye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 04:36 AM   #12
Living The Dream

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Homer:
I am with you TOM N. This whole digital TV thing is getting blown out of proportion. First of all the lousy TV programming isn't going to get any better, so why the rush to buy equipment. I will wait until I have to and then I will not want to. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I have an idea --- instead of all the new technology, how about ala carte channel selection and prices accordingly reduced? Then, instead of 150 lousy channels, I could have . . . oh, say 20 lousy channels.
SeeTheUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 05:06 AM   #13
Winnebago Master

See the USA: That is a stellar idea.
Izzyblueye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 05:44 AM   #14
Winnie-Wise

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by SeeTheUSA:
how about ala carte channel selection and prices accordingly reduced? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

My sentiments, exactly, but fat chance that'll ever happen.
Ding-a-ling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 07:22 AM   #15
Winnie-Wise

Send a message via Yahoo to vicsryd
Tehnically with an all digital service and set top boxes ala carte channels could be done. But the providers will never see the value in it and if they did they'd probably price it like the ala carte services vs. bundled service the phone companies offer and 20 ala carte channels woudl cost the same as 150 bundled channels.

vicsryd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 12:11 PM   #16
Winnebago Owner

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">instead of all the new technology, how about ala carte channel selection and prices accordingly reduced? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
as noted, this is a reason for the set top boxes and cable cards.

The benefit for the cable companies is reduced bandwidth lower delivery cost plus more direct service billing (think pay per view)

prices reduced? hah! ;-)
BryanL is offline   Reply With Quote