Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-26-2008, 03:01 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Can someone please tell me where I can find the users manual for the Alpine GPS for a 2006 Horizon on line? I don't know the model number they used.

Thanks
nextcom1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2008, 03:01 PM   #2
Winnebago Camper

Can someone please tell me where I can find the users manual for the Alpine GPS for a 2006 Horizon on line? I don't know the model number they used.

Thanks
Old 07-26-2008, 04:28 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

I have the alpine in my 2006 Vectra and find it very difficult to use compared to my garmin Nuvi.......Looks real nice up there on the dashboard though.
jtharley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2008, 04:39 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

Do you have the nuvi suction cupped to the side window or windshield?
Old 07-26-2008, 05:58 PM   #5
Winnie-Wise

Don't know if it's still the same for your 2006, but I have a 2004 Vectra, and the various manuals/numbers (and what seem to be very hard to find PDF downloads) are:

Alpine GPS NVE-N852A Hardware and Install Manuals

can be found at http://www.alpine-usa.com/US-en/supp...name=NVE-N852A

Alpine GPS NVD-A211 Smart Map Pro Manual and City Coverage list is at:

http://www.alpine-usa.com/US-en/supp...lname=NVD-A211

TME-M760 Monitor User Manual

http://www.alpine-usa.com/US-en/supp...lname=TME-M760

Hope this helps.
emiddleb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2008, 06:25 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

emiddleb,

Thanks, yes thats the one I needed, I appreciate it
Old 07-26-2008, 06:37 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

FYI

At GNR I quizzed the Alpine rep at length about my NVE-N852A unit. It came with '02 map software (1 DVD) in my '03 coach. The '02 maps were really sorry. In Feb 2008 I finally bit the bullet and paid $300 for a map upgrade that came in a 2 DVD set, but is '05 maps!!!! The '05 maps are a big improvement over the '02 maps, but I still let him know how unimpressed I was with the Alpine software, updating in '08 for $300 just to get '05 maps, AND being told that was the last upgrade being produced for my unit.

One thing I did gain out of the conversation is that if I do want to upgrade in the future I can buy one of their new GPS units for apx #$450, toss the DVD head unit out of my coach, and the new unit will plug into my wiring & dash LCD, and after that I can upgrade the maps by downloading new software when available at apx $75 a pop.
Old 07-27-2008, 06:46 AM   #8
Winnebago Owner

You managed to get more information than I could. Good job!!

I was basically told (by the Alpine person, on the phone) the NVD-852 was a discontinued line and was no longer supported. There are no available updates after the (poor) '05 update, and there will be no more.

I asked what there was to replace it and they said "nothing".

FMCA; WIT; FCOA; Good Sam; Passport
porscheracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2008, 12:53 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

My nuvi is attached to the side window.....easy to see and easy to use!
jtharley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2008, 02:33 PM   #10
Winnebago Owner

I have a Garmin 2720 which I use for any "real" GPS operations. I wish it could interface with the monitor for the Alpine, though - a 4x6 screen 3' away is a wee bit hard to read.

Did the Alpine rep imply that there was a version of the Blackbird that had the external antenna and monitor / speaker interface capability to use the original monitor???

Old 07-27-2008, 03:10 PM   #11
Winnebago Camper

I have slightly different info that may or may not be of benefit. I have '06 Winne Journey bought new in early '07. Had Alpine installed by dealer. I have NVD-A801 software, NVE-N872A hardware, TME-M770S Monitor and my DVD Navigation Map is labelled '06 and program version 1.02. Wonder if mine is really '05?
Old 07-27-2008, 03:36 PM   #12
Winnebago Master

FlyFish -- you have a different unit and different maps. If it says '06 I would believe it is 2006 version. Mine is "NVD-A231 Coast to Coast '05, prog ver 2.00."

Norm -- the information I failed to get was what unit models I could buy that would plug into my existing monitor, etc. However, the price range the rep talked about was $450 & up so I doubt that was referring to a Blackbird. But I do see on line that the Blackbird can go into a docking station so it can be controlled through a touch monitor, so maybe? The tech did point out that plugging in a new unit would NOT make my old LCD touch-screen capable.
Old 07-27-2008, 03:49 PM   #13
Winnebago Camper

Is mine a current/forward looking version or am I also on the discontinued list? Thanks.
Old 07-27-2008, 06:27 PM   #14
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Is mine a current/forward looking version or am I also on the discontinued list? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
My guess would be that if your unit is DVD/CD based, updates will cease at some point. If it is software based, allowing you to download updates for a reasonable cost, it has much longer life. From my conversation with the rep I would say that Alpine has wised up that they cannot be competitive requiring users to pay $300 for map upgrades when the competition provides upgrades via computer download at less than 1/3 the cost -- technology overtook them and they took a bit longer than they should have to adapt, but adapt they have!
Old 07-28-2008, 10:20 AM   #15
Winnebago Owner

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by FlyFish:
...my DVD Navigation Map is labelled '06 and program version 1.02. Wonder if mine is really '05? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes. If you check the copyright information, the data on Ver. 1.02 is 2005 data. It's the same software some of us paid $300 for - and were seriously disappointed.

And your year-old unit is a dinosaur, just like my 2-year-old, $1500 unit. Makes me proud to be an Alpine customer - and leery of paying them a bunch more $$ JUST TO HAVE ANOTHER UNIT DECLARED OBSOLETE!!!