Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-12-2014, 03:09 PM   #1
Winnebago Master

Activating Sirius Radio

Last year when we purchased our 2013 Adventurer one of the options we chose was the Sirius satellite radio. As of now we still haven't activated it, which leads me to this question. How many of you that part time have a Sirius radio permanently installed in their motorhome, and if you do did you activate it?

The reason I ask is even though we use our motorhome more than most part timers it doesn't seem cost effective to pay $25.00 to $45.00 (depending on the plan you choose) to activate a radio that will not be used for weeks, and sometimes months at a time.

We have Sirius radios in each of our cars, but they get used on a daily basis. It seems activating the one in the motorhome isn't worth the expense unless there's some type of plan that will let you suspend service for the time it spends in storage.
Old 01-12-2014, 03:15 PM   #2
Winnebago Camper

Useless at best to pay for radio you can get free. Wifi is available in most locations gives you unlimited amount of music and sports with news feeds galore
trackman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 03:24 PM   #3
Winnebago Watcher

We have Sirius in our MH. To me it is worth the price.
gmadams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 03:24 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

trackman, you must camp places that have wifi and wifi that actually works. 90% of the areas we camp do not. I have a Sirius receiver that I use with the home stereo and that receiver is in the trailer when we camp.
Shadowcatche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 03:28 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

I have the life time subscription in the cars and MH. Makes the annual or monthly cost reasonable. Really enjoy having it. Can't be without Radio Classics 82.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
sdennislee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 03:34 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

My truck came with one. After the free subscription expired, I dropped it and installed my Pioneer Inno into the truck. This allows me to move it easily from one vehicle to another, so I get to listen to it almost full time. Personally I think it is a big waste of money to have a built in unit that I cannot use year round.
450Donn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 03:41 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

We have XM in our MoHo and car, wouldn't be without it. Once you have the plan, the cost for additional radios is much less than $25 if I'm not mistaken.

Nick
traveler of california is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 03:52 PM   #8
Winnebago Camper

I have the portable XM radio that I switch from car to camper, we love it for news, music and old time radio. You can also negotiate price with Sirius/XM. I have for several years.
safari1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 03:53 PM   #9
Winnebago Watcher

I have three Sirius radios in all our autos. After the first radio, the others are $7.95 or $8.95 per month. The longer you contract for the better the deal. Good luck with adding the radio, the customer service is one of the worst I have endured and we have been a customer over 10 years.
milkman55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 04:05 PM   #10
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by milkman55 View Post
I have three Sirius radios in all our autos. After the first radio, the others are $7.95 or $8.95 per month. The longer you contract for the better the deal. Good luck with adding the radio, the customer service is one of the worst I have endured and we have been a customer over 10 years.
So far the people we've dealt with at Sirius have been friendly and helpful. I was hoping to find someone who had information on some type of suspendable service. So far no one at the company seems to be aware of such an option. Our experience with the price of additional radios is dependent on the plan you choose. Some are as low as $9.00 per month while others are several times that.

As far as spending money on an option that we don't use, it was part of a promotional package. It was going to cost more to purchase the individual options we did want that to buy the package that included the Sirius radio. In our case no money is lost if we never activate it. I would just like to find a plan that will suit our needs.
Old 01-12-2014, 04:22 PM   #11
Winnebago Master

We have an '08 Winni and up until this past June we had a portable Sirius radio that we could take from vehicle to vehicle. One cost and since we were both in the car and MH at the same time it was no problem having one unit. We truly enjoy having the Sirius/XM radio. Unfortunately the MH did not come with a satellite antenna, nor the module for the Sirius.

Make sure you have the satellite module that goes with the Sirius Ready Radio. Ours did not come with it. If you have the module you most likely have the antenna.

For our portable radio, I used the hockey puck antenna and just set it on the dash. As the attitude of the vehicle changes from the Southern hemisphere we just move the antenna to get a signal. I did not want to install and run wires through the coach. Hockey puck for the old TOAD Saturn was in the center of the dash and always had a signal.

Happy trails.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 04:33 PM   #12
Winnebago Owner

I have 2 cars and the MH on XM. In Nov. I put my MH service on "suspension" for 5 months. Call XM and request a temporary suspension on the MH radio. They will do it.
ghutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 04:40 PM   #13
Winnebago Owner

I have Sirius radio in 2 of my vehicles & the motor home. I have lifetime on one unit. The second unit was purchased for my son & when he was suppose to take over the yearly payments he gave it back to me. The lifetime deal was at that time & is still no longer available. Sirius told me it was too hard on the users because they would change radios every few years. I call BS on that one & it is all about the mighty dollar on their part. So I pay for 2 radios & I feel it is a small cost to pay to be able to listen to the music I want as we travel across the country.
Sorry but don't know of any plans that can be put on hold. One thing to remember if you have the same radio as I do, which is likely for the same year Winnebagos, you can listen to the radio even when parked & you can switch to either house or chassis battery to operate the radio.
dsbike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 04:41 PM   #14
Winnebago Watcher

I have had Sirius in all my vehicles for years. I recently cancelled on my previous motorhome, and have yet to activate it on my new one. While canceling I asked the CS guy on the phone about canceling service during winter months when not using the MH. He stated I should not cancel - that I could SUSPEND the service and it would not cost reactivation fee when I resumed the service, and that there would be no fee during period while service was suspended.

I have yet to verify this. I have the new Sirius receiver installed, and will not activate it until we get her out this spring, but if so, it's nice to know I don't have to pay for it if not using.
taylorgso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 04:43 PM   #15
Winnebago Camper

Notwithstanding the customer service issues, we were told recently by XM that you can simply transfer service from one reciever to another. Assuming you leave one car at home, just x-fer that xm service to the MH. Unfortunately, we learned that the "xm ready" radio we installed a couple years ago is already outdated, requiring a significant amount of equip [namely an older technology tuner and antenna] to complete the connection--so much for "XM ready"......
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 06:04 PM   #16
Winnebago Camper

I've had two lifetime subscriptions since 2005. With smart phone apps like Slacker, Pandora and I heart radio, I'm not sure it's really worth it anymore. Cell coverage does drop out and can be weak in some places but then you can switch to FM. I do enjoy being able to listen to what I want when I want without ever having to worry about not getting a signal.

The old lifetime subscriptions are for the life of the unit so I need to be careful not to break them. One is on a Roady II which I like so I bought three of them new in the box off Ebay years ago as spares. The other is on a GXM-30 receiver that I use through a Zumo 550 on my bike and also through my Garmin 7200 GPS in the MH. The Roady also slips into an XM boom box I bought so we can carry our XM radio wherever we go.
DGShaffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 06:07 PM   #17
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Scout View Post
Notwithstanding the customer service issues, we were told recently by XM that you can simply transfer service from one reciever to another. Assuming you leave one car at home, just x-fer that xm service to the MH. Unfortunately, we learned that the "xm ready" radio we installed a couple years ago is already outdated, requiring a significant amount of equip [namely an older technology tuner and antenna] to complete the connection--so much for "XM ready"......
There's also a $15.00 fee to swap each time so it will run you $30 to swap it out and back for a trip. It used to be free
Old 01-13-2014, 06:35 AM   #18
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowcatche View Post
trackman, you must camp places that have wifi and wifi that actually works. 90% of the areas we camp do not. I have a Sirius receiver that I use with the home stereo and that receiver is in the trailer when we camp.
Perhaps you should venture out to other locations. The vast areas for camping await you
trackman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 04:12 AM   #19
Winnebago Camper

trackman We did a three thousand+ mile trip to California and points west the year before last and even in the KOA's half the time there was not enough band with to get more than email and in some cases it just did not work i.e. the KOA in Cody Wy where it kept dropping and I went to the desk and asked and they said "we have a problem with that when there is wind" and I said, "when do you not have wind"? The camp ground at Tioga lake at the top of Tioga pass 10,000' had nothing including much air! State parks for the most part do not have Wifi at least in Ohio Indiana and Michigan. The eight day stay in Lake Superior Provincial Park (north shore of Superior) had cell but the roaming rate in Canada is fierce. Our teardrop was set up for serious boondocking, water filters so I can pull water from streams and lakes, solar to power the refrigerator lights heater... places where you are lucky to have cell coverage. When my wife retires and we head west I will rent a sat phone or one of the sat PLB attachments for a smart phone. There are areas in the South West we want to go that will include camping on BLM land.
Shadowcatche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 05:47 AM   #20
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowcatche View Post
trackman We did a three thousand+ mile trip to California and points west the year before last and even in the KOA's half the time there was not enough band with to get more than email and in some cases it just did not work i.e. the KOA in Cody Wy where it kept dropping and I went to the desk and asked and they said "we have a problem with that when there is wind" and I said, "when do you not have wind"? The camp ground at Tioga lake at the top of Tioga pass 10,000' had nothing including much air! State parks for the most part do not have Wifi at least in Ohio Indiana and Michigan. The eight day stay in Lake Superior Provincial Park (north shore of Superior) had cell but the roaming rate in Canada is fierce. Our teardrop was set up for serious boondocking, water filters so I can pull water from streams and lakes, solar to power the refrigerator lights heater... places where you are lucky to have cell coverage. When my wife retires and we head west I will rent a sat phone or one of the sat PLB attachments for a smart phone. There are areas in the South West we want to go that will include camping on BLM land.
How's that saying go? OH SNAP!

Tags
radio