Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-26-2017, 09:45 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

9" Infotainment GPS Problems

Hello everyone,

I have been experiencing problems with my 9" GPS system in my 2017 View J and wanted to post my experiences.

Since new I have had problems with sluggish performance and 'lock-ups' of my GPS. My dealer and Winnebago Customer Service directed me to RiverPark. We updated and replaced numerous cards, swapped out the head unit and installed a new GPS antenna.

Now it does not crash as often but I am still experiencing 'lock-ups' where I get a dialog box that says the unit must be restarted. The lock-ups are random and unfortunately it has occurred when I most needed the guidance.

RiverPark does not know what else to do and had the developer from Europe work with me. The developer in Europe tested the head unit I sent back and said it was working properly. He said not to expect the XITE/RandMcNally to be as fast or smooth as a phone or Garmin because it is a complex system and that occasional 'lock-ups' are to be expected, perhaps once per trip.

I can no longer trust the unit for navigation and I do not know where to go for help, but will keep complaining to whoever will listen. In the meantime I am going to buy a 6" Garmin RV GPS for $290 that IS fast and smooth. Any ideas?

Steve in Iowa
2017 View J
ArtistsView is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 11:02 AM   #2
Winnebago Camper

My 2017 View has not had the same problems or any for that matter. I think they should replace it. We use google maps on iphone as backup. It is a tossup aswhich works best.
1953Tbm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 01:36 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1953Tbm View Post
My 2017 View has not had the same problems or any for that matter. I think they should replace it. We use google maps on iphone as backup. It is a tossup aswhich works best.
That is good news! Finally someone with a unit like mine that works. The only piece that has not been replaced is the monitor.

Steve
Old 12-01-2017, 10:37 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtistsView View Post
Hello everyone,

I have been experiencing problems with my 9" GPS system in my 2017 View J and wanted to post my experiences.

Since new I have had problems with sluggish performance and 'lock-ups' of my GPS. My dealer and Winnebago Customer Service directed me to RiverPark. We updated and replaced numerous cards, swapped out the head unit and installed a new GPS antenna.

Now it does not crash as often but I am still experiencing 'lock-ups' where I get a dialog box that says the unit must be restarted. The lock-ups are random and unfortunately it has occurred when I most needed the guidance.

RiverPark does not know what else to do and had the developer from Europe work with me. The developer in Europe tested the head unit I sent back and said it was working properly. He said not to expect the XITE/RandMcNally to be as fast or smooth as a phone or Garmin because it is a complex system and that occasional 'lock-ups' are to be expected, perhaps once per trip.

I can no longer trust the unit for navigation and I do not know where to go for help, but will keep complaining to whoever will listen. In the meantime I am going to buy a 6" Garmin RV GPS for $290 that IS fast and smooth. Any ideas?

Steve in Iowa
2017 View J
I've had a 2018 Winnebago View 24J nearly a month. The GPS locked up three times on the 300 mile trip home from the dealer where I bought it. I plan to use it on an upcoming trip and hope it does better. Overall, just messing around with it locally, it is extremely sluggish. Nice display, but it refreshes slowly. Plan to call RiverPark if it keeps it up. I also carry a Garmin GPS as a backup because of lack of faith at this point in the Rand McNally GPS.
SteveD49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 12:04 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

I should update this thread. I continued to complain about the sluggish operation and crash to anyone and everyone that would listen. It must have worked as the developer called me from Europe and said 1) they acknowledge that they have a problem with the navigation software, and 2) they are working on a fix with Rand McNally and hope to have a solution soon.

In the meantime they sent me an operating system update and an alternative navigation software package to use until they get a fix. The nav software they sent is the same one used by several auto makers. It runs smooth and is super-fast on the the XITE system, so I know it is not hardware related. It does allow you to enter RV specific height and weight but has no other RV features.

Steve in Iowa
Old 12-01-2017, 12:18 PM   #6

Thanks for the update. It sounds encouraging for you! I must have a really outdated version of the software. I was driving across the bridge from Hwy 98 to Navarre, Florida, the other day and the map didn't even show the bridge, which was built years ago. According to the GPS, I was driving across the water! Any place I should call first, or just RiverPark customer service?
Old 12-01-2017, 12:28 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Here is what I would do:
1) Call RiverPark at (574) 970-2903 first and get a new card.
2) If problems persist, call Winnebago Customer Relations at (800) 537-1885 and report your problems. They will refer you back to RiverPark, but at least they will have the problem logged with your serial number.
3) Call RiverPark and tell them you have talked to Winnebago Customer Relations see what they say. They know there is a problem with the software and the XITE unit.
Old 12-01-2017, 12:30 PM   #8

Much appreciated!
Old 12-01-2017, 03:10 PM   #9
Site Team

we have the 9" Xite system in our 2017 Adventurer. We have not had slow response but lots of reboots. Then all kinds of screen distortion etc. We replaced the head unit and saw a few issues on the new unit. In every case when things worked badly it was very hot outside. We added a cheap USB powered fan and keep an eye on the temp in that cabinet and we've had zero problems ever since.

I don't know where the head unit is in your View - but if it gets hot there you might try a fan on it to circulate air around the head unit.

Since I didn't (and still don't) have the slow speed GPS issue my suggestion may not be helpful. Just wanted to add another data point to your troubleshooting.
Old 12-20-2017, 07:08 PM   #10
Winnebago Camper

I have had toubles with mine also. I use a garmin imstead.
Old 12-29-2017, 08:01 PM   #11

Update: RiverPark said the Rand McNally "media" (map card) was defective in some instances and sent me a replacement map card. Since receiving it a couple of weeks ago, I've used it on two weekend trips and several day trips around the area. Works much faster and smoother and hasn't locked up yet. Encouraging...
Old 12-30-2017, 07:35 AM   #12
Winnebago Watcher

Thanks for all this information. It’s good to know that we’re not alone dealing with this troublesome unit. We get regular error messages on the screen that aren’t necessarily about the GPS; sometimes it randomly turns on and off. Mostly we use phones for navigation, but it’s important to have a GPS backup in case cellular service gives out. Has anyone REPLACED this unit with something better — and if so, what is it?
BigVRolling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2017, 09:07 AM   #13
Site Team

I'd keep working on getting it solved. It works very good when it's working correctly.
Old 12-30-2017, 02:18 PM   #14
Winnebago Watcher

You are kind and optimistic, creative part. Thanks for the encouragement. If I find something to replace this, I will post. So far, I’m looking at a Kenwood unit at Best Buy. Tried to update the card today and the application wouldn’t even load. We’ll see...
BigVRolling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2017, 02:22 PM   #15
Site Team

I and others have updated the card online without any issues. Not sure why you'd have issues with that part. Certainly no relation to the issues you're having on the unit in your RV.
Old 01-11-2018, 06:40 AM   #16
Winnebago Camper

Screen failure

We have now had our screen fail. Gray shadows/dead areas on the right side of screen. Riverpark is sending a new one under warranty. Last month I bought a Garmin RV660 as I just can’t rely on this unit.

Tags
ems, gps, problems