Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-06-2008, 06:00 AM   #1
Winnie-Wise

I know that in 2009 they are going to all digital tv programming - in my 07 Suncruiser neither of tv sets are digital - both were made in 05.

Can anyone tell me where and how the didgital box will have to be installed in order to receive the new signal?
Old 04-06-2008, 06:00 AM   #2
Winnie-Wise

I know that in 2009 they are going to all digital tv programming - in my 07 Suncruiser neither of tv sets are digital - both were made in 05.

Can anyone tell me where and how the didgital box will have to be installed in order to receive the new signal?
Old 04-06-2008, 09:05 AM   #3
Winnebago Camper

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Rocket Heart:

Can anyone tell me where and how the didgital box will have to be installed in order to receive the new signal? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Short answer is, between the TV antenna (Batwing) and the TVs. Long answer depends on what you're currently using to feed the TVs. If it's a sat receiver, or campground cable, you don't need the digital tuner box at all.

joe
Old 04-06-2008, 09:46 AM   #4
Winnebago Camper

Here are a couple of websites that will explain the transition and where you can purchase up to two $40 coupons for purchasing the converter boxes:

The Digital TV Transition (FCC website)
DTV Answers
Old 04-06-2008, 12:26 PM   #5
Winnie-Wise

Thanks for the info - I guess I should be more specific - I would need 2 boxes - one for each tv. I assume they would connect to the entertainment box in the front orf the coach and not directly to the tv's?
Old 04-06-2008, 01:00 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

If you'll go to the first link I gave above, on the right-hand side of the screen is a section called "How To Install A Converter Box." This *should* answer your question.
Old 04-06-2008, 01:38 PM   #7
Winnie-Wise

Thanks again Linda - I know I sound like an idiot but everything our tv's do, runs through the entertainment box up front. So that's my question - connect to the box or directly to the tv??
Old 04-06-2008, 03:11 PM   #8

It doesn't matter. However, you are going to have to change channels from the converter box and not your TV so you have 2 concerns. First, since they likely will use an IR signal from the remote, one remote will change both boxes at the same time. The second concern would be your ability to change channels on the bedroom TV if it is upfront with the video controller.
In all likelihood, the most logical location would be at the TV if you have the room.
Bill Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2008, 03:51 PM   #9
Winnebago Master

Tom;

I did a little research on this issue. I checked 2 converter boxes. First at Radio Shack and 2nd at Best Buy. Neither have RF pass through when the converter is shut down. This means that your satellite and DVD player will not work on your TV unless you install a splitter to bypass the converter. Winegard makes a digital converter and you can go to their site and down load the manual. It has an excellent sketch on how it should be hooked up. It would seem to me that it can't be installed between the antenna and your video switch box, if you have one, as most of us have an amplified antenna. The box would interfere with the power going back up to the amplifier on the antenna. I am going to try and give you a URL to try. The manual down load is on the upper right side.

Winegard

Hope this helps;
Don
Don & Bev Morgan Weyauwega WI, 05 Itasca Horizon 40KD, 400 HP Cummins, Delorme GPS LT 40, Toad 07 Saturn Vue AWD, Air Force One, TST 510 TPMS, Mayor of Weyauwega 2007 - 2013, Waupaca Co Board Supervisor 2010 - 2014
Petro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2008, 06:57 PM   #10
Winnie-Wise

Thanks - that's exactly what I was looking for!