Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Tech | Toys and Gear
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 04-17-2012, 06:52 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

2006 38J bedroom Radio Question

Does the bedroom radio turn fully off or does it always have something displayed? (i.e. with the power "off" does it always display the time.) I'm trying to track down a house battery drain and thinking outside of the box.

More on the battery drain on another thread.
Sky_Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 07:33 AM   #2
Winnie-Wise

Yeah, when the radio is "OFF" the display is lit.

Or do you mean when the AUX BATT switch is turned off? That kills everything used by the house battery.

BTW, have you run accross our iRV2 member "Thudman" yet?

FJF
Ding-a-ling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 08:37 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ding-a-ling View Post
Yeah, when the radio is "OFF" the display is lit.

Or do you mean when the AUX BATT switch is turned off? That kills everything used by the house battery.

BTW, have you run accross our iRV2 member "Thudman" yet?

FJF
I think I need another lesson in knob/switchology! LOL I need to double check the AUX BATT thing. I may be corn-fused about that whole issue. so, NO, I am not referring to that switch but maybe I should have. LOL

Thudman and I have had a couple nice email exchanges.
Old 04-17-2012, 06:53 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

I pulled the radio out and pulled the plugs. Re-attached it and problem solved. Kinda like a Microsoft fix. LOL Sandee is thinking she likes your idea about just removing it because of the dumb on-off button.
Old 05-08-2012, 05:06 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Bad location for a radio

We have the same problem with the light always being on an my wife will turn over and hit the button and on it goes. We currently have the light covered, and when I get time.: I would like to remove the radio completly. Has anyone done this?:anyone
sherf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 10:25 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

Gang,
The DW has an issue too with the back-lighted clock etc. on the radio when we're sleeping, or trying to sleep that is. So, she has a tiny pillow that lays up against the radio, blocking out all the light emitted from that screen.

But, I've got a little thought here. How about a very small piece of dark or black tinted plastic on a hinge or, somehow attached with Velcro etc that would block out that screen or dial until you needed it. Then just reach over and lift the plastic or remove it from the Velcro etc. One could make a nice little "face cover" for it, Hmmmmmmm, might have to work on that.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 07:48 AM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE UP View Post
Gang,
The DW has an issue too with the back-lighted clock etc. on the radio when we're sleeping, or trying to sleep that is. So, she has a tiny pillow that lays up against the radio, blocking out all the light emitted from that screen.

But, I've got a little thought here. How about a very small piece of dark or black tinted plastic on a hinge or, somehow attached with Velcro etc that would block out that screen or dial until you needed it. Then just reach over and lift the plastic or remove it from the Velcro etc. One could make a nice little "face cover" for it, Hmmmmmmm, might have to work on that.
Scott
We currently have a large band aid over ours as a quick fix.http://www.irv2.com/forums/images/sm...re/popcorn.gif
Old 05-10-2012, 10:26 AM   #8
Winnebago Camper

Bedroom radio light

I use a piece of electrical tape. I have read other posts where they cut the power cord and insert a onoff switch. I am not sure how they mount the switch.
newk72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 06:26 PM   #9
Winnebago Master

Hey Gang,
Just thought of another type of fix or idea that may work on this "lighted Radio dial" issue. How about some window tint film, one, two, or as many layers as might be needed and, you might be able to still see the time etc., through it but, it won't be so bright in the middle of the night. Another idea, maybe some camera filter paper, purchased at a camera shop. It comes in all kinds of transparent colors. A layer or two or three mght work there too. Just toying around with ideas here. This way, there's no permanent damage and you can simply adjust the light level by adding a layer or two more. I think most of it might be "static" cling so, it will just stick to the small screen by itself, maybe.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 09:48 PM   #10
Winnie-Wise

My two cents worth....I purchased a "on-off" switch from Winnebago parts. It is the same color as the rest of the MH interior switches. Then next to the bedroom radio I have a few small drawers...pulled them out, located the back of the radio and pulled the "red" power wire out. I then cut a hole in the side next to radio an installed the new switch and new wires. Used a label maker to show switch to show the "off" position. DONE deal. I leave it off most of the time.

A side note on battery drain. IF you have an outside radio, behind a locked door, this is all so "on" all the time with the Aux battery on. You could install a similar switch here also. Then the front radio also will drain with the Aux battery on.
Stevegd007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 08:07 AM   #11
Winnebago Camper

My TV remote turn the radio on and a loud peep when changing channel and the Volume. But I like the clock in the middle of the night. I would like to keep the clock and disable the sound.
rvGator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 09:43 PM   #12
Winnebago Camper

I pulled mine out. Frankly, I think it was a dumb idea, but we don't listen to the radio while in bed. At age 75, the bed is for sleeping and dreaming about not being 75. I really like the handy-dandy little compartment. It's a great place to keep the remote......which is another thing to do in bed....watch TV. I almost forgot.
Old 10-18-2014, 12:54 AM   #13
Winnebago Camper

Since the last time I was here I have pulled the radio and unplugged it and replaced. Problem solved!!

Tags
radio