Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-07-2013, 09:25 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

2002 Winnebago Ultimate - need some help

Let me start by thanking all of those who have replied to my earlier requests for advice.......

In my ongoing quest to get everything fixed I have come across three more "things" that are bugging me.

1) The black tank dump valve does not completely seat when closed. Suspect it need to be replaced being as the coach is at least 12 years old. Pulled the water bay panels out today. I can see the valve and I can reach three of the four bolts/nuts that hold it in place but I cannot figure out how to get at the fourth one short of cutting a hole in the bottom of the belly. Any replaced one of these before? If so, how did you get access?

2) Never got a key FOB with the rig and Winnebago tells me the manufacturer is out of business. Anybody had any luck with aftermarket FOBs? If so, what brand?

3) The "Stepwell Cover Emergency Air Release Valve" handle/knob is broken on my rig. Again, the manufacturer of this valve is out of business. It appears this is simply an air valve that is either ON or OFF. Any suggestions for a replacement? As it is, I can operate the stepwell cover by pressing in on the valve itself but that is a little awkward from the passenger seat.

Thanks for any advice..............

Lenp
lenp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 12:28 AM   #2

This will help with problem #1

For problem #2, visit the Parts department of an automotive dealership that makes your engine, ie. Ford, Chevorlet, Dodge
key fobs replacement - Google Search

Problem #3. Since you have the broken Air Relief Valve, take it or photo's of it on your cell phone to a dealer that sells air compressors and explain what it does. He most likely will have your solution.
Doggy Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 08:18 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

The dump valves are difficult to access. Removing the wall of the storage compartment immediately beside them will help. It comes out easily by removing screws around the edges. My adjacent compartment is a pass-through, and the rear wall is in two apx 4 ft sections. Then you have to remove some styrofoam insulation to see/get to the dump valves. Even then, access is not great. I recommend that you replace only the seal (unless the valve body itself is damaged, which is not likely). You can buy only a seal, or take one off a new valve assembly. Removing the entire valve assembly would be an extreme pain, while replacing just the rubber seal is still painful due to the access problem, but much less so.

Our fob's have quit working, and I know of no one who has found replacement options.

My stair cover is different, so can't help with that one. It sounds like just the control knob is broken? (mine is controlled by a rocker switch on driver/passenger consoles). A great resource for Winnie parts is Lichtsinn Motors in Forest City, 800-343-6255, ask for "motor home parts". They can normally sell you parts and ship them for less than a local dealer. Give them your coach s/n, and they will make sure they are providing the right parts. I have never gone wrong with them.
Old 04-08-2013, 10:57 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

AFChap,

You might have hit on the valve replacement strategy. I looked at the adjacent pass through compartment and thought of pulling off the rear panel but it looked like there was a steel panel in there also. Will pull the panel off when the weather permits and see if access is any better.

I suspected the key fob was not going to be replaced. (doggy daddy - this one is unique to Winnebago and the manufacture is out of business).

As for the step well cover, there is a switch on the passenger side that controls the cover but the air switch on the dash is a bypass (I think) that allows the step cover to be manually pushed back in if air pressure is lost. I will have to experiment a little more.

Thanks to all for the replies,

lenp
Old 04-09-2013, 09:27 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

AFCHAP,

You were right on with the black tank dump valve access. Pulled the rear panel of the pass through compartment and there it was! Now to go get the parts to repair it.

Had the rear panel removed trying to find the intermittent wiring problem on the bedroom slide. The wire from the switch that applies 12 volts to the pump solenoid has an intermittent open. Found two in line connectors but they seemed to be fine so just ran another wire from the switch to the solenoid and slide seems to work fine now.

Now for the next problem......
Started working on the entertainment system this afternoon and discovered the two (left & right) front speakers have no sound. Replaced one of them and still no sound. Both home theater and dash radio have the same symptom.

Trying to decipher the wiring diagrams has me dizzy! Diagram shows both left and right sub-woofers with loads of wires coming/going (FTLT, FTRT,RRRT,RRLT). Actual woofers only have two wires each! I don't understand why the woofers would have all those wires shown on the diagram!

The parts list shows a "SWITCH - SPEAKER - 6 CHANNEL" mounted in the left front compartment. I suspect this is where my problem lies but I cannot find it on the wiring diagrams but I assume this "switch" selects between the dash radio and the home theater.

Any ideas for troubleshooting?

thanks again for all the help.

Lenp
Old 04-09-2013, 10:01 PM   #6
KIX
Winnebago Master

I see that AFChap has you on the right track to repair your black tank valve. But, I'll add a couple of things for you that will make the job easier.
As you have seen there is a manifold of black pipe that has the gray and black tank valves. With the lower section of the wet bay wall and the valve cable handle "plate" removed you can then remove the whole valve manifold for seal replacement. Replace both gray and black seals while you have the manifold out. Order the two 3" valve manifold connectors from Lichtsinn and replace yours when reinstalling the manifold. Use some plumbers grease (Home Depot) to hold the seals in place while reinstalling the four bolts.

The door and bay lock system was made by SCS/Frigette. They did go out of business a couple of years (or more) ago. YOu may be able to do something to get your system up and running with a fob through TriMark. It would be worth a phone call to them to see if you can get any help.

The bypass stair well cover switch on our coach only turns 1/4. So, if you can find something to fit the valve stem it may work. Another source may be a RV salvage yard

I've done most maintenance myself on ours over the years so give me a shout if I can help with anything.
Old 04-10-2013, 10:00 AM   #7
Winnebago Master

I have four small speakers on the ceiling (front & rear/left & right) and two woofers (one under refrigerator and one in side panel by driver seat). I have had to mess with the ceiling speaker connections at a couple of the speakers when I noticed sound problems. Other than that, I have not messed with the speaker wiring. The switch to select radio or TV surround sound on my coach is in the upper right cabinet on the outside wall. If you have not found/used the switch, you have not used surround sound/home theater. There is a HUGE difference in TV sound from normal vs surround sound. If the TV is swapped out, the new TV must have analog audio out jacks or must be alter to have them in order for the surround sound to still work. I had to add jacks to the flat screen I installed in November. You can read about that and see some pics on my web site at Front TV Flat Screen Conversion.

Hope some of that helps a little.
Old 04-10-2013, 10:29 AM   #8
Winnebago Camper

Kix & AFCHAP

Again, thanks for the very quick replies.

I swapped the TV out for a Sony flat screen and the home theater system for a new Panasonic DVD/AM/FM radio that has HDMI capability. Also. both have the ARC (optical) audio interface. Shouldn't have to worry about the RCA cables with that. Unfortunately, the front left & right speakers never worked with the prior factory system either.

AFCHAP, I think mine does not have the switch in the upper right cabinet but I will have another look. The only switch I see is for the (I think) TV amp. Will verify that is what it is. As I noted, the parts list shows a "SWITCH - SPEAKER - 6 CHANNEL" mounted in the bay below the driver seat. Wiring diagrams do not show anything like it.

Both the dash radio and the home theater do drive the rear speakers and the woofers so I am assuming there is something that automatically switches between dash radio and home theater.

Back at it this morning.

Thanks again,

lenp
Old 04-10-2013, 11:52 AM   #9
Winnebago Master

Quote:
the parts list shows a "SWITCH - SPEAKER - 6 CHANNEL" mounted in the bay below the driver seat.
I didn't catch that being in the basement compartment ...no idea what that is. That is where my factory DHS surround sound amp is located. Unless I stand on the passenger seat and use a flashlight, the only way I find the switch in the right front cabinet is by feeling for it.

Quote:
I am assuming there is something that automatically switches between dash radio and home theater.
There may be now, but pretty sure there was not originally. Your removal/replacement of the factory system may have done that. Since the rear speakers do work, and the front don't, I strongly suspect that is a result of your replacement. If you figure out how you got the rear speakers tied in, you will likely have a big hint as to how to get the front tied in also. Did you totally remove the original amp, or simply disconnect and wire around it?
Old 04-10-2013, 01:30 PM   #10
Winnebago Camper

AFCHAP,

Little more digging and I have found a schematic of the "SWITCH - SPEAKER - 6 CHANNEL". It is powered by the dash radio. When you turn it on all the relays (6 of them) energize connecting all speakers to the dash radio. When the dash radio is off, all the relays are in the "normally closed" position which connects the speakers to the home theater. I believe this feature replaced the switch you have in the overhead compartment. Might have been a sound system upgrade or Sony didn't make a dash radio that had that feature after 2002.

Following the schematic I do have audio coming through the switch - I can connect a speaker directly to switch output and confirm it is passing the audio from both dash radio and home theater.

I did find a cutout in the right side of the passenger side front overhead compartment but nothing is installed in it and appears as though nothing ever has been.

Going on what I have found, it appears there is a problem between the "SWITCH - SPEAKER - 6 CHANNEL" and the two (L & R) front speakers. You indicated you had experienced issues with wiring in the overhead. I pulled the right speaker and wires out as far as they will come and all appear to be fine. Where exactly did you have your problems? I sure don't cherish the thought of running new wires!!!

thanks again for the quick reply!!!

Lenp
Old 04-10-2013, 01:34 PM   #11
Winnebago Camper

AFCHAP,

After reading your last post...............

I replaced both the home theater and the TV. There were no additional wires attached to either of them beyond the normal AV & RF cables. Oh, and the FM wire antenna that lays in the cabinet. No control wires or anything like that.

Lenp
Old 04-10-2013, 01:47 PM   #12
Winnebago Master

Seems I have read something about a change in the surround sound system at some point. You apparently have the earlier one. My wiring problems have been where the wires connect to the speakers ...spring-loaded pinch connectors. Messing with them,disconnecting and reconnecting has normally eventually given me a good connection/output.
Old 04-10-2013, 02:30 PM   #13
Winnebago Camper

AFCHAP or should I call you Paul?

Pulled both speakers down and connected another speaker directly to the connector - nothing. And I cannot figure out the wire routing from the "SWITCH - SPEAKER - 6 CHANNEL" to the speakers.

Time to call Winnebago I guess,

Lenp
Old 04-10-2013, 04:19 PM   #14
Winnebago Master

Quote:
AFCHAP or should I call you Paul?
Either works ...only my online friends know me as AFChap.

You said earlier that the relays in the switch activate the speakers depending on which is turned on ...TV or radio. I would suspect bad relays. Have you checked for current on both sides of the switch/relays? Winnebago Owner Relations may be helpful ...they have given me good assistance several times.
Old 04-10-2013, 07:26 PM   #15
Winnebago Camper

Paul,

The switch is between the dash radio and the home theater system. When I connect a speaker to the output of the switch I do get audio on both left and right front output. I am confident the switch is working correctly.

Called Winnebago and came away thinking I know more about the coach than the fellow I was talking with. Tried tracing wires from the speakers but they are buried in the overhead. Thought they may have been routed up the windshield pillars but not found in there. I am convinced there is a switch or relay someplace that turns them off but sure cannot find it. About ready to run new wires. Going to try Winnebago in the morning and see if I can find a more knowledgeable person.

Lenp
Old 04-10-2013, 07:30 PM   #16
Winnebago Camper

Signature test

Just created a signature - testing

lenp
Old 04-11-2013, 09:52 PM   #17
Winnebago Camper

Update................

Called Winnebago again today and talked to a different tech. He tried to help Identify the wire routing but could not find anything that helped. I ended up just running new wires to both front (L&R) speakers and all is well. Sure sounds nice now!

Also tackled the black tank dump valve - WHAT A MESS! The valve leaked a significant amount and I am thinking the previous owner was one of those who liked to leave his grey valve open while at a campsite. With the black valve leaking as much as it was, all the liquids drained from the black tank leaving nothing but solids.

As I noted in earlier posts, I have had problems dumping black tank due to large chunks of scale like material clogging the outlet. When I pulled the valve there was less than a 2" opening in front of the valve (going into the tank). A lot of tender scrapping and chipping cleared the tank outlet but I am sure there is still a lot of that scale like stuff on the bottom of the tank. Only time will tell.

WHAT A CRAPPY DAY!

Lenp
Old 04-19-2013, 01:58 PM   #18
Winnebago Camper

Winnebago Ultimate Advantage Black water valve replacement.

Spent a lot of time on the phone with Winnebago trying to get help on replacing the valve. They said to access it from the belly pan. NOT!!! Wound up eating close to $700 at a Camping World while they learned how to change it. Service panel and drivers side pass thru bulkhead is "THE" answer.

Presently tending to my basement air not cooling. Once again Winnebago Tech was off base by telling me the unit must be lowered down and removed from under the coach. Wrong! Slides out from the side just like all the others. After trouble shooting the unit, we determined that it's low on refrigerant. But, it has no service ports. Sealed unit. I'm now in search of a tech to add ports and bring it up to the correct level. Hope that works, because a replacement is $3676 plus labor. Ouch!
Obiwan35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 09:32 PM   #19
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by lenp View Post
Let me start by thanking all of those who have replied to my earlier requests for advice.......

In my ongoing quest to get everything fixed I have come across three more "things" that are bugging me.

1) The black tank dump valve does not completely seat when closed. Suspect it need to be replaced being as the coach is at least 12 years old. Pulled the water bay panels out today. I can see the valve and I can reach three of the four bolts/nuts that hold it in place but I cannot figure out how to get at the fourth one short of cutting a hole in the bottom of the belly. Any replaced one of these before? If so, how did you get access?

2) Never got a key FOB with the rig and Winnebago tells me the manufacturer is out of business. Anybody had any luck with aftermarket FOBs? If so, what brand?

3) The "Stepwell Cover Emergency Air Release Valve" handle/knob is broken on my rig. Again, the manufacturer of this valve is out of business. It appears this is simply an air valve that is either ON or OFF. Any suggestions for a replacement? As it is, I can operate the stepwell cover by pressing in on the valve itself but that is a little awkward from the passenger seat.

Thanks for any advice..............

Lenp
For the Key FOB try Winnebago Parts - Parts for all Winnebago motorhome makes, models, and years, including Itasca, Rialta, Eurovan - Specializing in the Renault based Winnebago LeSharo, Phasar, and Centauri Motorhomes. They have plenty of Winnebago parts including some obsolete stuff although I've had no success in finding a replacement keyless entry pad for my Horizon.
Ralph A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 10:46 PM   #20
Winnebago Camper

Many thanks to all who have relied! Have everything previously identified repaired I think - knock wood!

Took another trip today about 130 miles for a weekend visit with our son located in Roosevelt, WA right on the Columbia river. No big issues but noticed the bedroom window awning liked to unroll in the wind - will have to tighten it up a little when we get back home. Also the windshield washer hoses are broken and squirt water everywhere you don't need it.

Beyond that, all is well.

have a great weekend everyone,

Lenp

Tags
winnebago