Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Tech | Toys and Gear
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 04-18-2019, 01:14 PM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

2000 Sunrise - OBDII compatible?

I was looking at adding an OBDII reader to my toolbox to keep an eye on engine vitals for the MH during trips. I have experience with OBDII interfaces on various passenger vehicle but i was curious if anyone had any experience with them on this vintage MH. I am guessing its a standard chevy obdII interface and should have any sensor the truck version would have, im specifically hoping to get trans temps, and oil temps+pressure.

Any experience or thoughts/info would be greatly appreciated!
Ludacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019, 02:37 PM   #2
Winnie-Wise

I don't know for sure, but see no reason to doubt it. Have you tried googling on the chassis make and year and OBD II?

I suggest getting a bluetooth reader like the OBDLink that I have. I paired it with an old tablet, and use it as an auxiliary glass dashboard to show stuff like fuel flow, instantaneous and trip fuel mileage, etc. The app also integrates accelerometer and GPS data from the tables on to the configurable dashboards.
SLOweather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2019, 09:23 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

From 1996 forward everything is OBD II (federal mandate). So you will get all your standard P.... codes. Just keep in mind that OEMs are allowed to add their own proprietary coding system on top of the OBD II protocol, those codes require a dedicated reader/software to be read.
71_340 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2020, 10:00 PM   #4
Winnebago Watcher

If you RV has the physical 16 pin OBDII port then yes you can read what the computer reads emissions wise I am pretty sure.

First see if you have the port: all 1996 cars and light trucks were required to have diagnostic ports, but since you have a RV I am not so sure if you have one. Car and light diesels weren't required until 1997 (I used to own a 1996 Jetta TDI diesel because it was CA Smog Check exempt : ) and heavy duty engines are different story.

I don't think you are asking if you have a port, if the port looks like the OBDII ports on your passenger cars then yeah , your asking can you read stuff? I am hoping someone else chimes in here with real world experience on your model, but as far as I know (no experience with your chassis or even know what engine your running) if you have the OBDII port then you should at the minimum be able to read the emissions related sensors, which isn't bad because there weren't a whole lot of sensors on the older vehicles that weren't emission related. O2 sensors, temp sensors, EGR sensor, MAP and MASS Air sensor. Again I hope someone with more experience chimes. Here's another idea pull into one of those autopart stores that advertises free code reading, they can verify that you have the port and maybe see what diagnostic system they can read with their OBDII reader.
PKview is offline   Reply With Quote