Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-09-2016, 08:24 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

13" TV Not Working - How to Replace????

I have a 2001 Winnebago Adventurer 32v and the bedroom tv (13" Audiovox) had stopped showing the video. All I have is a thin vertical white line in the center of the screen. Audio is OK. Is this unit repairable?????

It is in a nice oak cabinet.
So,
1. How do I remove it??? AND

2. I have heard of flat screen tv's used as replacements, so, does anyone have instructions about how to do this?

I'm sure someone (or many) in this forum has been through this so I would appreciate the input from those with experience. I know from previous times that this kind of help is valuable.

Thanks for your time to reply.
winnie32v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 09:31 AM   #2
Winnie-Wise

You'd have to search your area to see if there are any TV repairmen. They are pretty rare, the cost of replacing is often cheaper than repairing, and the nature of modern TVs leaves little to repair.

I removed a 13" CRT TV from our RV, I installed a 5/8" plywood panel, painted black, in the opening and mounted a 19" flat screen on the surface of the plywood, covering the opening. A couple of large holes in the plywood allows all wires to be hidden in the old enclosure for the CRT TV. A mount was used for the new TV, however it could have been mounted directly on the plywood without the mount, just using appropriate screws into the threaded mounting holes in most all flat screen TVs.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 09:48 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner

I have to agree that repairing the old tube TV may not be worth the trouble or money.

There are lots of threads here about replacing old CRTs with flat panel TVs. We are about to start replacing our front 25" old Sony with a 29" Vizio. We chose the Vizio because the outside dimensions will fit inside the cherry frame. The Vizio has been my "watch the game outside" TV but it's time to get to work on installing it inside and getting something else for the outside cabinet.

With the huge difference in weight, a new flat panel should be easy to install. If you don't want to do it yourself many RV dealerships will be able to. I think our change over will take about 70lbs out of the front overhead.
HD4Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2016, 08:51 PM   #4
Winnie-Wise

If you really want to keep that type of TV in there, then look at the Good Will Store for a replacement. Personally, a 19" or 24" flat screen would be better and most likely cheaper than repair if you can find someone willing to work on it. The per hour charge is most likely more than the cost of a new TV
Check to see if your models' drawings are available on the Winnebago site, they should give you some insight as how to un-install it.
Old 12-13-2016, 04:13 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

UPDATE

I finally got energetic and began removing screws so I could remove the old TV. Removal went very well and didn't take much time at all.
MY SURPRISE; The TV is a 12 volt TV, NO 110v plug in the cabinet.

Oh,Oh, I thought. But I went to the internet and found TV's that were 12v and had a 'car plug' so I could just plug it in to the existing jack for power.

I am probably going to upgrade from the original 13" size to a 15.4" size, primarily so i can just place the flat screen over the existing cabinet and simply secure it via a couple of wood supports using the mounting holes in the back of the TV.
Should fit nicely on the existing cabinet and we would benefit with a little bigger screen.
Plan to order it today and expect it to be delivered in less than a week.

I will post some pics when the project is completed, probably after New Years, because we will be on the road for a while.

Have a Blessed Christmas and New Years.
Old 12-13-2016, 01:49 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Can you clarify how you removed the old one? I have a 2004 Itasca with a 19" CRT TV in the bedroom overhead cabinet that I would like to remove, but I'm not sure how to get to the backside. Any hints from those that have been there/done that?
Old 12-13-2016, 02:49 PM   #7
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4van View Post
Can you clarify how you removed the old one? I have a 2004 Itasca with a 19" CRT TV in the bedroom overhead cabinet that I would like to remove, but I'm not sure how to get to the backside. Any hints from those that have been there/done that?
As winnie32v discovered, just start removing any visible screws and you'll figure it out. A journey begins with the first step.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2016, 02:55 PM   #8
Winnebago Camper

I recently bought a 12 v TV at Rite Aid of all places. A forum poster altered me to it. It comes with a household plug, but since it takes 12.v, one can convert the plug. If you have a RiteAid nearby, you might want to swing by for a look at their stock.n you also might find stealth 12 v TV at other stores.
WendyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2016, 03:09 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Location: Kamloops, BC, 60 miles from the Center of the Universe
Quote:
Originally Posted by winnie32v View Post
I finally got energetic and began removing screws so I could remove the old TV. Removal went very well and didn't take much time at all.
MY SURPRISE; The TV is a 12 volt TV, NO 110v plug in the cabinet.

Oh,Oh, I thought. But I went to the internet and found TV's that were 12v and had a 'car plug' so I could just plug it in to the existing jack for power.

I am probably going to upgrade from the original 13" size to a 15.4" size, primarily so i can just place the flat screen over the existing cabinet and simply secure it via a couple of wood supports using the mounting holes in the back of the TV.
Should fit nicely on the existing cabinet and we would benefit with a little bigger screen.
Plan to order it today and expect it to be delivered in less than a week.

I will post some pics when the project is completed, probably after New Years, because we will be on the road for a while.

Have a Blessed Christmas and New Years.

I did the same on our old Airstream, but mounted the TV on a plywood door and hinges. Gave a little extra storage area in behind it. Used a "Bulldog Latch" to hold the door closed.
2008 Winnebago Adventurer 38J, GP, dozens of small thirsty ponies. Retired after 40 years wrenching on trucks! 2010 Ford Ranger toad with GSXR 1100T or KLR650 in the back. Easy to spot an RVer, they always walk around with a screwdriver or wrench in one hand!
Unplanned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2016, 04:37 AM   #10
Winnebago Camper

As another poster just mentioned you'll just have to look around to see how to get access to the mount screws behind the TV. Every MH and application is usually different. I just replaced our 22" in the bedroom with a Samsung, 32" Smart TV, $249. At first I couldn't figure out to gain access to the mount on the old TV because it was mounted on the wall and it was very snug against the wall, Then I discovered I had to remove the valance & d/n shades to get access underneath the TV to get to the mount. Once I had access I removed the TV but decided to keep the old TV mount that was screwed into wall. Now the new 32" TV of course had a totally different mounting screw placement for a mount and was way bigger and couldn't possible fit. I didn't want to removed the old mount, buy a new mount, and then put more additional holes in the wall. So I modified the old mount, by cutting the old mount in several places, built 2 custom brackets, drilled new holes, had to find new special 8mm screws and then mounted the new TV to the old mounting bracket. Time spent...1 full day but a clean install, no more new holes and the bottom of the new TV fits 1/2" above valance now. Whenever you change out old appliances like this for new ones, there's usually a very good chance that some mod's will have to be made. Just be inventive and you'll get there. We now can watch all our favorite internet programming on Netflix, Hulu & Amazon in our bedroom streaming from our wireless, portable, T-Mobile WIFI device.
marjoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2016, 05:11 AM   #11
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
As mentioned above, I began removing the obvious.
First, the cosmetic panel on the bottom. Knew it was cosmetic because of the small Phillips screws.

Next, looked at the bottom that was now visible. Saw 2 bigger silver screw heads. Others were black color. So, from the position of the silver screws, I realized that they were in a position that would hold the tv in place. Removed these screws and the tv came loose and was able to be pulled out of the opening. Silver screws were attached to a custom bracket that went around the tv. Next, carefully remove the 12v plug and coax tv cable from the back of the tv. TV came out ok.

Next is the modification of the existing cabinet so you can install the new tv you have selected. This is a personal touch and can can be as involved as you want it to be.
Let us know how you make out AND if I can be of any more help.
Old 12-17-2016, 05:21 AM   #12
Winnebago Owner

UPDATE

I ordered a 15.4 ", flat screen 12v TV from eBay ($104) and it is on the way...FedEx and is expected to be here by this Wednesday.

I have done all of the measuring and am ready to make some simple supports that will use the mounting screws on the back of the new TV and "sandwich" the TV via two 1" X 2" boards to the existing frame opening. I may have to use a couple of spacers toward the top to ensure that the TV is 'tilted' down for optimal viewing, when laying in bed.

Depending on how well the new TV covers the old opening, I may make a couple of matching oak fillers so the opening is 'less visible' to us half-asleep viewers in bed.

Just my way of fine-tuning the job.

I will update this post with photos when the task is completed. Look for this early January.

Merry Christmas to all of this forum.
Old 12-17-2016, 04:14 PM   #13

With TV prices where they are I wouldn't repair any TV.
LarryW21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2016, 10:44 AM   #14
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
The old 19" in ours quit a few years ago in our '04 Vectra. It was mounted in a swing out cabinet in kind of in the corner. I also just started taking out screws until it was loose. The metal frame it was in could hold a tank.

The size of the cabinet was so small we decided to buy a 32" and just set it on the dresser. When in motion we just lay it on the bed. It looks like I could fabricate a mount to put it above the dresser. It would block the mirror but I really don't need to look and be reminded I'm getting old
HD4Mark is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
replace, ace