Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-18-2007, 05:05 PM   #1
Winnie-Wise

I am currently shopping for tires for our motorhome. I am currently running (original) Michelin XZA's in load range F, but they are now 9 years old and need to be replaced. They have served this motorhome very well. After only 22,000 miles they show absolutely no signs of weathering and hold pressure perfectly. I would replace with another set of XZA's, but they are no longer available in my size.

My current tire size is; 225/70 19.5 load range F I would like to go to load range G in same size.

Tires I am considering;

Goodyear G670 RV
Michelin XRV
Michelin XZE

Any opinions on these choices would be greatly appreciated. I have received reasonable quotes on all and need to make a decision.
Kazoo Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2007, 05:05 PM   #2
Winnie-Wise

I am currently shopping for tires for our motorhome. I am currently running (original) Michelin XZA's in load range F, but they are now 9 years old and need to be replaced. They have served this motorhome very well. After only 22,000 miles they show absolutely no signs of weathering and hold pressure perfectly. I would replace with another set of XZA's, but they are no longer available in my size.

My current tire size is; 225/70 19.5 load range F I would like to go to load range G in same size.

Tires I am considering;

Goodyear G670 RV
Michelin XRV
Michelin XZE

Any opinions on these choices would be greatly appreciated. I have received reasonable quotes on all and need to make a decision.
Old 08-18-2007, 06:52 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

Tom and Barb ...

My '99 Adventurer had Goodyears and my '04 Journey has Michelins XRVs ...

the Adventurer had 65,000 miles on it when I traded it in ... the Goodyears looked like new ... the Journey has 53,000 miles on it and the Michelins look great and the ride and handling are fine ...

I could not recommend one tire over the other ... I think you have a "flip a coin" decision ... both are good choices ...

A NOTE: My brother-in-law drove some tires until they were about 10 years old (they still looked great) ... one of his rear duals blew out ... it damaged his body, wiring, and plumbing ... the repair bill was more than $3000 ... so it is important that you change those tires SOON
skigramp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2007, 02:18 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

Yup - agree with Skigramp - I think either one would be a very good choice. What would sway me is price, availability, and if a shop you like is a dealer in one or the other.

We have run Michelin tires on our cars for 30 years and never any complaints so far. We have Michelin on our coach and they seem to be doing fine.

2005 Horizon 40AD, 2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
John_Canfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2007, 02:20 AM   #5

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Kazoo Tom:

Tires I am considering;

Goodyear G670 RV
Michelin XRV
Michelin XZE

Any opinions on these choices would be greatly appreciated. I have received reasonable quotes on all and need to make a decision. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Kazoo Tom;

I currently have Michelin on my Sightseer and had two sets of Michelin on my last 1995 Flair MH. I've never had any problems nor disappointed with the wear. The Goodyears could be just as good or better, I've just never had a set of them.

By the way, I believe that all RV tires are supposed to be replaced after no longer than 7 years, no matter how little the mileage, due to sidewall stresses.
Richard 34A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2007, 03:43 AM   #6
I helped | retired moderator

Goodyear and Michelin would be my only two choices, but I'm partial to Michelin, and I have bought Michelins exclusively.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2007, 04:50 AM   #7
Winnie-Wise

Thank you all for your input. I have price all three listed above and the "out the door" price is within a few dollars of each other. I am leaning toward the Michelin but not sure if I would be better served by the XRV or XZE tire. My current thinking is that the XRV might be better as the motorhome sits for periods between trips and the UV protection is better int he XRV tire.
Old 08-19-2007, 08:52 AM   #8
Winnie-Wise

I just put a set of Goodyear G670 RV tires on my coach. Same as original. MADE IN USA. Load range "F". 245/70 19.5. Garranteed against ozone cracking for 4 years. Plus a $20 refund per tire. Ask for the rebate form or go to Goodyear.com and down load it.
2001 32-V Suncruiser,Ford V-10, 310 HP, 4 Koni FSD's, KVH Tracvision,trickle charge, awning travel lock, 1 dinning room slide; no roof leaks, 03malibu toad sometimes, Blackhawk all terrain towbar, Roadmaster brake Pro,1 wife,1 westy, life is good!
bobpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2007, 05:17 PM   #9
Winnebago Master

I've had Michelins on my last three MHs and last 3 or 4 autos, never a problem and they stay balanced. I've taken Goodyears off of 3 new autos within the first 3,000 miles and replaced with Michelins. Have never run a Goodyear tire that would stay balanced for over a 1,000 miles or so. Just my experience.
Wagonmaster2
2004 Meridian 36G
wagonmaster2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2007, 05:21 PM   #10
iRV2 Marketing

I recently replaced my 5 year old Michelins with new Michelins. Michelin makes an excellent RV tire. In the end I don't think you can go wrong with either manufacturer. It's basically personal preference.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 01:16 PM   #11
Winnie-Wise

Well, I've pretty much decided I will go with one of the "RV" tires for the extra UV protection they offer. I'm still not sure if Goodyear or Michelin will be the better choice. I guess I will let the bottom line decide for me.
Old 08-20-2007, 02:48 PM   #12
Winnebago Owner

I just purchashed 6 new Michelin tires at the WIT rally, in Forest City. To look at them, they should have be driven another 50,000 miles. I put the original size back on the coach,(255/80R22.5) Saved a ton of money by getting the rally discount. The front tires were drying out so much, that the Michelin sales Rep, advised me to replace them before driving anymore. Side wall cracks were 2/32 of an inch deep. As tire reps say about RV tires, we dry them out, before we wear them out. Put 51,000 miles on the old ones, and have put 2500 miles on the new ones sofar. Very happy with Michelins. Good luck with your decision, and happy miles
richierich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 05:17 PM   #13

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by wagonmaster2:
I've had Michelins on my last three MHs and last 3 or 4 autos, never a problem and they stay balanced. I've taken Goodyears off of 3 new autos within the first 3,000 miles and replaced with Michelins. Have never run a Goodyear tire that would stay balanced for over a 1,000 miles or so. Just my experience.
Wagonmaster2
2004 Meridian 36G </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Wagonmaster2;

I didn't want to single out Goodyear, but have had them as OEM tires on new passenger vehicles and pick-up trucks. Seems like every one of those vehicles had to have the tires replaced prematurely due to terrible wear problems, typically on the outside edge. Always maintained correct tire pressures, rotated and aligned. Never seemed to matter; had a new Jeep Cherokee once and had to replace all four Goodyear tires at 22k. Put Michelins on it and replaced them at 95k, and that was only because we gave the car to our daughter. I sold it a few months ago, with those same Michelins still on it... with 165k.

Maybe Goodyear makes a great RV tire, I've just never owned a set...
Richard 34A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 12:46 PM   #14
Winnebago Owner

Ford or Chevy?? Goodyear or Michelins?? Have had both and both did a good job on the RV. The only tire I had a balance problem with was a Michelin. Running Goodyear G-670's on this coach and so far so good. I have been pleased with the ride and quality of the tire. I think they are both make good tires. Good luck.
bellsharbor is offline   Reply With Quote