Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Running Gear, Axles, Brakes, Wheels and Tires
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 04-27-2017, 01:48 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Winnebago vista 35b tires

We currently have a 2013 Winnebago Vista 35B that came with Michelin 235/80R22.5 tires and are thinking of upgrading to Continental 10R22.5 which is a slightly larger tire. The new Vista 35B's now come with Michelin 255/80R22.5 so has anybody upgraded to the Continental's? and if so how do they perform for you -- tks, Littleguy
garygalla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 02:32 PM   #2
Winnebago Camper

Is Continental better then Michelin ???

Itasca66
Itasca66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 02:45 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

I wouldn't say Continental is better than Michelin but with the tire life only being safely 5 to 6 years we only put about 50,000 miles on the Michelin's which after 5 years are starting to show cracks and don't want to risk a blow out -- the Continentals are $2,000.00 (FMCA discounted) less expensive than Michelins so since we don't wear out the tread before they age out why not go with the Continentals -- many truckers use them and I also have a brother in the trucking industry that swears by them since they also cost less
Old 04-28-2017, 05:00 AM   #4
Winnebago Camper

Great info will look into them next time I need tires. I have 8 years on my tires I have now no cracks yet. All still looks good . There hankook F19 7.50 16 .I'm keeping a eye on them there Gs.

Itasca66

Do you think heavy the rig the harder it's on the tire. Like comparing 12,000 lb rig compared 23,000 lb rig with age also. More weight more tension or stress on tire.
Itasca66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017, 06:59 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

The sidewall cracks are related to leaving the tires exposed to the sun and atmosphere. It is a sign of the rubber breaking down. It is normally not a sign of to much load or stress.

I have heard that there are some Michelin tires cracking prematurely. That I am sure is related the the lack of wax in the compound. The wax is put in the compound to continually bloom to the surface and provide a built in cover.

If you keep your tires covered when your coach is sitting you can avoid cracking.

Washing your tires frequently can speed up the depletion of the wax and once gone tires will begin to show signs of cracking pretty quickly.
Forza Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017, 09:13 AM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Thanks for the info Tom but the cracks in my Michelins are actually in the tread not the sidewalls -- we would appreciate any thoughts you have on these -- tks, Gary
Old 04-29-2017, 07:13 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by garygalla View Post
Thanks for the info Tom but the cracks in my Michelins are actually in the tread not the sidewalls -- we would appreciate any thoughts you have on these -- tks, Gary
That is very unusual. Have you taken pictures and communicated with Michelin? Tires are constructed from many different compounds. You sidewalls also know as the carcass continues completely from side to side and runs beneath the tread. There are several ply's made from a different compound before you get to the tread compound.

The likelihood that crack in your treads would cause a sudden deflation are slim. That being said that shouldn't be happening.

I would certainly be contacting Michelin and get their opinion on it.
Forza Tom is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tires, winnebago