Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-09-2009, 11:37 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Wheel liner lug nuts

Help! I can't get the "lug nuts" off the wheel liners of the front wheels so I can check the oil level. Is there a simple way? The tool supplied simply bent when I applied pressure and I don't really want to scratch the liners by prying with a screwdriver. Is there a better way?
Craig Heyne & Co-Pilot/Navigator Sharon. 2007 Voyage 33V W20. Brazel's Ultra Power Permormance kit. CAI, Reprogramming, plug wires, Steer-Safe, Suzuki Grand Vitara toad, two spoiled cats and a GPS set to infinity.
Craig H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 12:22 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Send a message via Yahoo to Rick Long
If they are Dicor wheel covers... there are only 2 actual nuts holding the cover on.. the rest are just part of the wheel cover. Mine use a 1 1/8" socket... they are NOT torqued like a lug nut.. just good and snug will do.
You don't pry them off!!! Cap and nut are one piece.

Rick Long is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 12:36 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

I can check my bearing oil by prying off the center portion of the wheel liner. No need for me to remove the liner.

-Tom
Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 01:00 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

If your liners are like mine the 2 you need to remove have an indent on them(like 2 lines or dimples) . Plus if you tap all of them the two you need to remove has a solid sound/feel.
Old 08-09-2009, 09:18 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig H View Post
Help! I can't get the "lug nuts" off the wheel liners of the front wheels so I can check the oil level. Is there a simple way? The tool supplied simply bent when I applied pressure and I don't really want to scratch the liners by prying with a screwdriver. Is there a better way?

Craig - The two lugnuts with the indentations on their sides unscrew to remove the wheel cover. Unfortunately many tire guys use an impact wrench to secure these instead of the hand tool. They do also at times seize up do to the passage of time. Get a socket wrench to remove the two retaining lugs and the cover will slide off with no other tools required. You may have to wiggle it a bit as sometimes the sheet metal gets snagged in the threads on the wheel studs.

Not some covers have a center access hole that slips off for servicing the bearing hubs.
Old 08-09-2009, 11:08 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig H View Post
my w20 with 19.5 wheels has 4 dimpled lug nut covers on each wheel. there is a special tool (plastic covered pliers) available from winnebago.com to remove and reinstall these covers without damaging them. alternatively, i have used duct taped channel lock pliers. pull the cover straight off without twisting. these covers fit tightly (if not damaged) to 4 thin 30mm nuts (1 3/16") that hold the wheel cover in place. these nuts do not need much torque. the 8 lug nuts on my moho, 33mm, are torqued to 475 ft lbs.
the oil reservoir level on my moho front wheel bearings is checked by pulling a rubber plug out and sticking something in the hole to check the oil level.
01 WINNEBAGO 35U W20.8.1L SW Wa, Hi. Good Sam, SKP. AMSOIL fluids. BANKS ecm program. SCAN GAUGE II w/ Ally temp. 2 LIFELINE GPL-6CT AGM Batts on their sides. TST tptts. K&N panel air filter. AERO mufflers. TAYLOR plug wires. ULTRA POWER track bar. KONI fsd shocks, toad '14 smart car
DAN L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 11:26 AM   #7
Winnebago Master

Mine are like Dan L.

I pull off the nut covers by hand.

The T-wrench the came w/coach is in my shed at home.

My coach came with a double ended lug wrench & handle. One end fits the cover nuts & the other end fits the lug nuts.
Old 08-11-2009, 04:04 PM   #8
Winnebago Camper

Wheel covers

Thanks to all who offered advice, it was welcomed and appreciated. I finally got the right size socket, 1 & 5/8"!! all the others on the liner are 1&1/2", go figure. See ya down the road.
Craig Heyne & Co-Pilot/Navigator Sharon. 2007 Voyage 33V W20. Brazel's Ultra Power Permormance kit. CAI, Reprogramming, plug wires, Steer-Safe, Suzuki Grand Vitara toad, two spoiled cats and a GPS set to infinity.
Craig H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 11:05 AM   #9
Winnebago Master

I cheated, I took one of the lug nuts to SEARS and came home with the proper size socket.

Measure carefully, find a nut the same size at a hardware, and then find the socket that fits it

As others have said.... Only 2 of them count,, Look for very very minor differences in two nuts.. HINT: when you find one of them.. The other is DIRECTLY opposite (IE call it #1, the other will be #6)
Old 08-12-2009, 07:24 PM   #10
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post
I cheated, I took one of the lug nuts to SEARS and came home with the proper size socket.

Measure carefully, find a nut the same size at a hardware, and then find the socket that fits it

As others have said.... Only 2 of them count,, Look for very very minor differences in two nuts.. HINT: when you find one of them.. The other is DIRECTLY opposite (IE call it #1, the other will be #6)
I did exactly the same thing, taking one of the lug nuts to Sears. Since I bought my rig used and I wasn't able to find that special wrench that was referred to in the wheel cover documentation.

Low and behold, 2 days later when I was looking at the water heater, there was the tool, hiding underneath the water heater. Would have liked to find this thing before going to Sears, but now I have both.