Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-20-2019, 09:19 PM   #21
Winnebago Owner

The motor home is parked on 2 layers of 3/4 in ply wood. Another thing I’ve done for trailers etc of size. Is cut down a plastic or whatever it made from A milk carton with a mesh bottom and use the bottom It keeps water out etc
Journey cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2019, 08:07 AM   #22
Winnebago Owner

To follow-up on my previous post. I use these mats on top of my rubber stall mats. I figure they help prevent moisture from being trapped under the tire. They are strong enough to hold my Winnebago Tour. Bought them at Home Depot.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/TrafficM...91-1/206355967
Old 09-22-2019, 03:41 PM   #23
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by nova 42qd View Post
To follow-up on my previous post. I use these mats on top of my rubber stall mats. I figure they help prevent moisture from being trapped under the tire. They are strong enough to hold my Winnebago Tour. Bought them at Home Depot.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/TrafficM...91-1/206355967
Wow! Those are expensive! I got 3 poly semi truck mud flaps (plain black) for about $35 tax included!
GTobey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2019, 09:49 PM   #24
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by powercat_ras View Post
I don't think you need to put ANYTHING between concrete and your tires. That said, personally I like to deploy my landing jacks and take much of the weight off the tires when I park the RV in one place for multiple weeks, even if the parking spot is fairly level.
^^^ That makes the most sense because it takes some of the load of the tires and prevents flat spots. Probably a good idea to exercise/drive your RV and generator on a monthly basis (weather permitting).

That is what I plan on doing this winter. There is nothing worst for a vehicle to sit idle for month at a time.

Retired "Quiet Professional". Lifetime HSUS and ASPCA member and supporter.
71_340 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2019, 10:23 PM   #25
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71_340 View Post
^^^ That makes the most sense because it takes some of the load of the tires and prevents flat spots. Probably a good idea to exercise/drive your RV and generator on a monthly basis (weather permitting).

That is what I plan on doing this winter. There is nothing worst for a vehicle to sit idle for month at a time.

Seems to me that having the leveling system under constant pressure, even just a little, for days, weeks, or months, may invite chronic leaking, corrosion, or other issues down the road.
Old 09-27-2019, 07:20 AM   #26
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by akeagle View Post
Seems to me that having the leveling system under constant pressure, even just a little, for days, weeks, or months, may invite chronic leaking, corrosion, or other issues down the road.
I worked on/around construction equipment for 45 years before retiring and many are parked with outriggers down or pressure on the buckets and it never caused an issue. The hydraulic rams are chrome plated and do not rust unless they are pitted which causes leaks and calls for replacement.

Besides, if you exercise your RV on a monthly basis the levelers are retracted and the rams get lubed again.

Like I said, that is what I do based on my own experience. It was just a suggestion and you do what you think is right for you and gives you peace of mind.

Retired "Quiet Professional". Lifetime HSUS and ASPCA member and supporter.
Old 09-30-2019, 12:43 PM   #27
Winnebago Camper

There are several thoughts about tire care, so I guess everyone needs to make their own decision on that. I have attended Camp Freightliner, as well as the seminars put on by Michelin. As far as a plastic barrier under the tires during storage, they both said to do it, as I recall, it had to do with oils leaching out from the tire rubber, They said that is why you see dark areas under the tire when you move the vehicle that has been sitting.They never mentioned Radon.
Old 10-01-2019, 06:59 AM   #28
Winnie-Wise

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalifCruiser View Post
There are several thoughts about tire care, so I guess everyone needs to make their own decision on that. I have attended Camp Freightliner, as well as the seminars put on by Michelin. As far as a plastic barrier under the tires during storage, they both said to do it, as I recall, it had to do with oils leaching out from the tire rubber, They said that is why you see dark areas under the tire when you move the vehicle that has been sitting.They never mentioned Radon.
Thanks CaliCruzer! True! That is the issue. Now whether or not it is a significant hazard or contributor to tire safety or longevity remains un evaluated and undocumented. At best, it prevents annoying black spots on your cement pad., eh?

No radon! Yeah! We can not shed our "anti-C" suits and SCBA gear! I feel better now.
Old Crows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2019, 11:28 AM   #29
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalifCruiser View Post
Thank you! Exactly!
GTobey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 07:09 PM   #30
Winnebago Owner

Here at Camp Freightliner now and just finished the 2 day class. Mike, the instructor suggested that I put plastic,wood , mat under the tires and drop the leveler jack just to the ground to take weight off tire, not to level coach,just to contact the ground. Cover the tires and I'm good to go. Thanks to all who responded.
deckape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 09:51 PM   #31
Winnebago Owner

Perfect advice.

Tags
storage, tires