Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Running Gear, Axles, Brakes, Wheels and Tires
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 05-20-2009, 06:07 PM   #21
Winnie-Wise

A few years back I built a spare tire on the rim holder for my 34H. Many pics in my album with measurements. Simple, cheap, secure, check it out. A few pics.

http://www.irv2.com/attachments/phot...DSC00856_1.jpg

http://www.irv2.com/attachments/phot...DSC00852_1.jpg

http://www.irv2.com/attachments/phot...DSC00870_1.jpg
Gary CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2009, 03:33 PM   #22
Winnebago Owner

Gary CA,

Beautiful job on the tire mount.

I assume that the rim you show could be mounted in either front or rear wheel--all rims are the same?

How do you raise and lower the spare?

thanks for your photos.

jim & debbie and 2 cockerspaniels
04 Journey
jimmccreary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2009, 05:40 PM   #23
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKL2 View Post
I put an inflated tube in the tire to keep the debris and moisture out and to keep it snug..Also I used rachet nylon tiedowns on two sides.......
I spiral-wrapped my spare with 6 inch wide plastic you can buy on a spool at a U-Haul moving store. It protects the tire inside and out.

The tire is suspended by three nylon tiedown straps. I can leave a little slack in each one in turn. Mine has been there about 50,000 miles.
Ding-a-ling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 08:02 AM   #24
Winnie-Wise

Hi Jim: I actually use a floor jack with a block of wood to lift it up. I also two nylon straps to secure the tire to the frame. To lower the tire I remove the bolts and simply loosen the straps and the spare is on the ground.

I like the design of your tire mount also. I think it is a good idea to travel with a spare.
Gary CA is offline   Reply With Quote