Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-23-2006, 02:28 PM   #1
Winnebago Master

I had to send my Tru Center back to Blue Ox for checking/repairs. The tie rod bracket had come loose and was sliding on the tie rod and there was some rubbing damage to the side of the Tru Center. I thought an alignment mechanic had loosened the bolts on the bracket and forgot to re-tighten after he adjusted the drag link.

Blue Ox told last week that they were repairing the unit for free and I would get it back this week. They did say there was a recall on some Tru Centers but mine was not affected. They called today and advise that the parts from the new and improved version are not interchangeable with mine so they will be sending a new unit. However, none will be available until April-May due to testing.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2006, 02:28 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

I had to send my Tru Center back to Blue Ox for checking/repairs. The tie rod bracket had come loose and was sliding on the tie rod and there was some rubbing damage to the side of the Tru Center. I thought an alignment mechanic had loosened the bolts on the bracket and forgot to re-tighten after he adjusted the drag link.

Blue Ox told last week that they were repairing the unit for free and I would get it back this week. They did say there was a recall on some Tru Centers but mine was not affected. They called today and advise that the parts from the new and improved version are not interchangeable with mine so they will be sending a new unit. However, none will be available until April-May due to testing.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Old 01-23-2006, 02:50 PM   #3
Administrator Emeritus

I know that's a long time to wait,but they are sending a new unit.

I've always had excellent dealings with Blue Ox.

Not sure what the "new and improved" is all about,but if they said it'll be better,
then I'd wait if I could.

With my IFS equipped coach,the best option for me is going to be the Howard Precision Center Steer System.
rebelsbeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2006, 03:17 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

'New and Improved' is about some Tru Centers locking up during hard right turns (see RV.Net Class A forum)and other miscellaneous problems. I certainly appreciate getting a new unit, especially if the current units are suspect.

I did ask them why they did not have repair parts for existing units, especially those not affected by the recall (like mine). They did not entirely answer that....just said you will get a new unit in April or May.
Old 01-23-2006, 03:28 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> I've always had excellent dealings with Blue Ox. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I like and use Roadmaster products (Sterling bar). Haven't had any dealings with them because no problems!

lol
Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2006, 03:52 PM   #6
Administrator Emeritus

Now Tom.....my only "dealings" with Blue Ox were asking questions over what product to buy.
For instance....

When I sold my brother the Journey I gave him the Aventa II.
So....I wanted to make sure the base plate for my TrailBlazer was ok with the Alexus tow bar I was planning to buy....it was!
Then....when we ALL started talking about toad guards,I had the bright idea to use the shield cover instead of a toad guard....As you now know,(from me calling Blue OX and posting here,) it's not made for rear exhausted coaches...
Then....I called to make sure the Kargard was compatible with the newly released Alexus tow bar....

No problems on my end,just reassuring myself before spending the money.

In all the miles I towed a Ford Explorer with the Journey and Blue Ox products,plus all the miles my brother has pulled his 2003 Tahoe,there's been ZERO issues...My brother recently returned from a trip across the top of the U.S. and back across the bottom to VA.
rebelsbeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2006, 06:10 PM   #7
Winnie-Wise

I posted this on another forum, but since I think that it is such an important topic, I'm posting my experiences here too:

I'm on my third T.C., and after reading this forum, will be contacting B.O. The first unit was installed in Jan 2005, just prior to our departure to the Florida Keys. The trip was uneventful. After leaving the Keys, we were driving across route 41W when I heard a metal banging noise and felt a change in the steering. When I finally was able to pull over (5 minutes?), I found the T.C. dragging on the highway. It had seperated from the mounting bracket when the threads of the single mounting bolt had stripped. I wired it up to the chassis.

We drove to Lazy Days that day, but they could not fit me in their schedule. I called Blue Ox, and they found a nearby R.V. distributor who would replace the unit the next day. I thought that was the end of it.

A few days later, we left there for home, and got to N.C. for a shopping stop. I was driving into the shopping center (a hard right), and when I went to straighten the wheel, found it was locked in hard right. Thankfully I was not going fast, because we actually came to a stop about 10' from the store's busy main entrance door! I nearly drove into the store!

I ended up removing one end of the T.C. there in the parking lot, and wired it up to the frame. I called B.O., and they were going to have me take it to a nearby R.V. dealer the next day, but we chose to drive home and deal with it later.

B.O. ended up sending a traveling mechanic to my house, and replaced the unit with the one that is on there now. We don't have many miles behind us on this one (500?), so now with all these recent problems surfacing, I'm concerned. Not sure what s/n I have, but since B.O. installed it last April, it's certainly not the latest design. Will keep you'all posted.
Indian River, De
CaptBill is offline   Reply With Quote