Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Running Gear, Axles, Brakes, Wheels and Tires
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 07-28-2009, 05:31 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Travel with blown rear tire

I had two instances in the past of driving with a blown rear tire in a previous lighter gas class A. Was able to limp to help (under 30 miles at low speed). Now we have a heavier DP and DW asked (since we do not carry a spare) if we could drive short distances with the heavier DP with a flat rear tire assuming the tread was either completely off the tire or intact and not impacting the other dual or the coach. Anyone have experience or opinions?
jbowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 06:34 PM   #2
Winnebago Camper

If the tire were not off the rim, it could come off and be a real hazard for someone behind you. If you could limp on the shoulder, drive real slow and stay out of traffic, the three tires should hold the load for a short distance.

The reason to have road service!
Old 07-28-2009, 06:49 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Lots of "IF'S" But the best thing would be All the Tire/Rubber was gone!! and you could limp in on 3 tires!!

Rick
Old 07-28-2009, 07:00 PM   #4
Winnie-Wise

I have no experience with it, but I wouldn't do it unless my life was in danger of stopping where I was. You run the risk of blowout on the other tire, since it is significantly overloaded with the added weight. You also may damage the motorhome body, and wheels, if that were to happen. Not worth the risk, IMO.
Indian River, De
CaptBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 07:18 PM   #5
Winnie-Wise

It is going to put a lot of load on the remaining tire and it can possibly damage or weaken the tire. I would stop as soon as it is safe and get a tire replaced.

Ken
Old 07-29-2009, 02:45 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

I have limped to town at very low speed with loaded trucks and one rear blown out in my younger years. Those trucks were right at the GVWR of my coach, and I'm sure had poorer quality/inadequate weight rated tires. However, one BIG difference is that there was no fiberglass body panel close to those tires so when the rubber from the blown tire flopped around it didn't do anything except tear up the mud flap and in one case rip the license plate, mount & light off. On my MH, I would run on one dual only if absolutely necessary for safety reasons, and then no further than absolutely necessary. Coach-Net would be on their way to assist.
Old 07-29-2009, 04:19 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

FWIW I have driven with one rear tire unpressurized. I did not know it until I got it in the driveway. The valve extension broke an let all the air out. Knowing this I would have to say that you CAN drive with one tire operational. However I would not knowingly do it except to make it to a safe spot to stop. If you have access to Air from your coach you should at least increase the tire pressure to the required pressure. I replaced both tires because I did not know what damage was done due to the overload of the pressurized tire and excess heat of the unpressurized tire. I consider myself Very Lucky!

2005 Honda CRV, Blue Ox, SMI Brake, TomTom Go 720
Flagelpater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 09:23 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

Quote:
I have driven with one rear tire unpressurized. I did not know it
I have too, BUT not with any weight on board. We had nothing on board except two people and a couple of suitcases. We picked our coach up in Dallas and drove it apx 1,700 miles back to VA after the dealership changed fluids and "made it all roadworthy." I didn't have a dual foot gauge, and when I bought one a couple of days after we got to VA and checked the tires, one inside dual had no air. The problem was a cracked valve stem. I have no idea how long it ran with no air, but based on the feathered edges of the ribs it was probably most or all of the 1,700 miles. The tire place checked it out and said it would be fine. I drove it for 4 years and just over 30k miles before it developed what Michellin called "rib punch" irregular wear. After inspection, Michellin gave me $100 adjustment, and the tire dealer gave me another $100 for the case and they planned to recap it.
Old 07-30-2009, 10:25 AM   #9
Winnebago Master

Drive a short distance.. From the lane to the shoulder.

There are two considerations

1: On today's rigs they run plumbing, wiring and such over the tires, If the flat shreds and flaps around it's going to do thousands of dollars in damage to your rig.. I read on these forums all the time about folks so afflicted

2: When one of a pair of duals goes flat, it's partner is damaged by overload. Not a good thing. NOT driving on it, limits the damage

CoachLink and most road service plans will send you a mobile tire repair/replacement technican, he comes to wherever you are parked and may well do the repair with the rim mounted on your rig (outer dual or front tire only) depending on the type of rim you have.