Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-22-2018, 06:14 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Tire temperatures

While on a trip from Wisconsin to Texas, I measured tire temperature with an infrared laser. Drivers side rear tires were about 90 degrees, ds front tire was same. Passenger side front tires were around 100 degrees and ps rear tires measured around 130 degrees. Outside temps were in the 65 degree range and I was cruising about 65 mph. The pressure in all rear wheels was 79.5 psi and the front wheels were 60 psi before starting in the morning. Any thoughts on why this is?
Stoflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 06:18 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

If it was a bright sunny day I suspect the tires on the sunny side were probably higher. I noticed that on my TPMS on our recent trip to Indiana.
Old 10-23-2018, 04:46 AM   #3
aa1ssradio

Same here. Ive noticed temp differences around 20 to 30 degrees at times depending on what tires were in the sun and what ones were in the shade.
Ranger Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2018, 04:13 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

If you took the measurements just after driving, and if the RH side tires both got the same amount of sun on them, then Yes, there is a problem with the rear tire. It should have read the same as the front RH tire.

Honestly, my TPMS shows tire temps that are about what the air temp is on the road. Showing temps 30 degrees higher than ambient temperature would be alarming to me. Maybe it the IR sensor you're using?
Old 10-28-2018, 05:31 PM   #5
Winnie-Wise

Sounds like sun was influencing the tire temperature. Also, if the roads you were traveling on happened to be a two lane road with a slight rise in the middle of the road to help drain it, the tires on the low side will run hotter as more of the weight of the coach is shifted to the low side.
Old 10-28-2018, 06:27 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamaboy473 View Post
If you took the measurements just after driving, and if the RH side tires both got the same amount of sun on them, then Yes, there is a problem with the rear tire. It should have read the same as the front RH tire.
Not necessary a tire problem, it could be a loaded problem. Most people tend to over load the right side of the coaches/campers.

If you have duals, then i'd measure the duals on both sides, the inside dual is usually a little hotter but not by that much.

You may have a combination of things affecting your temps. But, 130 degrees is not very concerning as tire temps go. Especially if you have duals and the inside dual is about or a little more in temps, that would suggest a loading issue.

If you start seeing 150 and above then it may be an issue.
Walt523 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2018, 06:54 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

I'm no expert by any means; my frame of reference is a couple of motor homes with TST TPMS, Both coaches had 6 wheels, and temps between inside and outside tires were within a few degrees on the sun side, and about the same on the shade sides.

Both coach tire temps while running on cloudy days, were close to normal outside temps on the roads. I actually have the alarms set at 110 degrees (Southeast traveling)

The TPMS on my utility trailer reads the same. That suggests to me that 15" tires and 22.5" tires might handle temps the same.

Call me a wuss if need be, but I think the OP is right to be concerned.
Old 10-28-2018, 08:33 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

Cold tire pressure is also involved with tire temperature. the lower the pressure the more the sidewall flexes, which equates to more heat buildup; which may also involve overloading/underinflation is the leading cause(approx 90%) of tire failures.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA. "We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution." Abraham Lincoln
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2018, 08:07 AM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoflyer View Post
While on a trip from Wisconsin to Texas, I measured tire temperature with an infrared laser. Drivers side rear tires were about 90 degrees, ds front tire was same. Passenger side front tires were around 100 degrees and ps rear tires measured around 130 degrees. Outside temps were in the 65 degree range and I was cruising about 65 mph. The pressure in all rear wheels was 79.5 psi and the front wheels were 60 psi before starting in the morning. Any thoughts on why this is?

Sounds about normal for IR measurement which is probably 30F to 40F lower than the internal temperature.

Pressure when running the the best indicator as it takes time for lower pressure to generate enough heat to show up with external temperature measurement. Get and use a TPMS as I know of no other method to get enough advanced warning of impending tire problems.