Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-07-2019, 11:58 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

tire pressure monitor View

Since I am unable to install a steering stabilizer I want to install some tire pressure monitors in the tires of my 16 Mercedes View. Has anyone out there done this and if so, what product have you used.
Will there be any vendors at the Jamboree in River City selling and installing them?
sunvale1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 10:23 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

I have added TPMS to all tires on my motorhome as a way to avoid blowouts. Blowouts get terribly expensive if they tearout a sidewall, etc.
I find they are pretty easy to mount myself---=once I get the stems added to reach inside duals!
This is a set for four tires of the brand and dealer I used but shopping is always good to find what fits you best.
https://www.rvupgradestore.com/TST-4...t-507-rv-4.htm
Basic idea is that you screw a "sender" onto the valve stem, with each having a serial number, turn on the receiver and program those numbers to each tire. You set alarms for each axle for high and low pressure and tire temperature. Takes a little study to figure the setup and how to move through programing but once set, it is easy.
The receiver sets on my dash and cycles through each tire, showing pressure and temp until one goes out of limits and turns on an LED and buzzer.
One complaint is the "information overload" I get from now knowing how much the pressure varies as the tires warm! I used to set the tires to the cold specs and call it good but now I see the temp makes the pressure go way high. Set at 82 PSI spec, my tires go to 100 PSI as I drive! So now I wonder how do I ever set it to be right?
Morich is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 11:19 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morich View Post
I have added TPMS to all tires on my motorhome as a way to avoid blowouts. Blowouts get terribly expensive if they tearout a sidewall, etc.
I find they are pretty easy to mount myself---=once I get the stems added to reach inside duals!
This is a set for four tires of the brand and dealer I used but shopping is always good to find what fits you best.
https://www.rvupgradestore.com/TST-4...t-507-rv-4.htm
Basic idea is that you screw a "sender" onto the valve stem, with each having a serial number, turn on the receiver and program those numbers to each tire. You set alarms for each axle for high and low pressure and tire temperature. Takes a little study to figure the setup and how to move through programing but once set, it is easy.
The receiver sets on my dash and cycles through each tire, showing pressure and temp until one goes out of limits and turns on an LED and buzzer.
One complaint is the "information overload" I get from now knowing how much the pressure varies as the tires warm! I used to set the tires to the cold specs and call it good but now I see the temp makes the pressure go way high. Set at 82 PSI spec, my tires go to 100 PSI as I drive! So now I wonder how do I ever set it to be right?
my only hesitation on the screw on monitors is the potential for having the un screwed by some dumb ass.
Old 07-17-2019, 12:12 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

They would need an allen wrench to remove you will be good to go i have over 4000 miles on my 507s
Gordiegaffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 08:58 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

I have been told that from others and most likely will go that route. With the rack and pinion on my View I'm not able to install a stabilizer on my steering system.
Old 07-21-2019, 06:25 PM   #6
JCM
Winnebago Camper

Change out your tire air stems to metal ones. The rubber ones will fail after flexing constantly as you drive down the road.(happened to me at -30) I started driving from home when one light for the toad came on. I thought I would ignore it until a second one came on. I stopped and got out to find that 2 right sided tires on the toad were flat. I changed out the stems and have been running ok for 4 years. Look at a TTS unit. Good luck.
Old 07-21-2019, 07:19 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

As JCM stated, replace your stock rubber valve stems with high pressure ones. I did that and installed TireMinder TPMS. It comes with nuts and a special wrench to keep someone from stealing them. Work great.
jlshank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2019, 08:08 PM   #8
Winnebago Camper

I installed a system from TST that goes inside the tire and attaches to the rim via a large band clamp. The put no pressure on the stems or will ever leak air. They work great. I would agree on the high pressure stems for sure.
vescotech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 09:10 AM   #9
Winnebago Camper

I have a 2016 View 24G on the Sprinter chassis. I installed this system and mounted the monitor in front of the driver in the "map" well above the speedometer.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

You absolutely have to get replacement valve stems that will stick through the hole in the outer rim of your duallys. Don't bother with valve extensions or any other solution.
Hatrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 06:29 PM   #10
Winnebago Master

The comments about somebody stealing the sender is gone, once we look at how they are installed using a wrench that only very special people will have, like the folks who own that brand. Kind of does away with most people wanting to steal things if they can't get them off. Lots of things will be easier to get!
On senders, I see there are two type, one that has builtin and sealed batteries and others which expect you to change the battery when it runs down. I bought sealed while my brother bought replaceable.
I now favor sealed that have to be sent in for factory replacement as the unsealed are getting way too much moisture and failing way too often on his type.

I DO NOT recommend cheaping out on this system as a poor one is more trouble than it is worth. Amazon is full of cheap knockoffs that have lots of faults and little future for when parts or repair are needed.
Morich is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2019, 04:55 PM   #11
Winnebago Owner

Had my 1st stem failure Monday had to change tire on my pickup on off ramp now have changed all stems to metal, The tpms did its job and warned me of a leak in time to get out of traffic. TST507
Cataska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 10:31 AM   #12
Winnebago Camper

If I install a TPMS on the valve stems of my Mirco Minnie, will I need to have the wheels balanced?
Old 09-09-2019, 04:13 PM   #13
JCM
Winnebago Camper

NO.
Old 09-09-2019, 04:15 PM   #14
JCM
Winnebago Camper

Get steel ones - problem solved
Old 09-09-2019, 04:18 PM   #15
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCM View Post
Get steel ones - problem solved
Steel valve stems?

Doesn't that require removing the tire from the wheel?
Old 09-09-2019, 05:05 PM   #16
JCM
Winnebago Camper

Yes. But that is better than having a flat on the side of the road.

Tags
tire pressure