Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-05-2011, 03:13 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Tire pressure ???

I finally completed the deal on the 2008 Destination. Thanks to all for all the info.

Anyway part of the deal was for new tires. Going home I was all over the road, it was real windy but I think I found the problem. The tires have 110 lbs.of air. There is no weight in it, just a 1/2 tank of fuel.

My question is around what pressure do you folks run with a load or empty. I gotta get this thing to the point where I can run around to get it aligned and so on. I'm thinking of dropping them down to 80 or so pounds until I start loading it. Your thoughts?
Fastcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 03:26 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

There should be a document in your mh showing the gross vehicle weight, gross axle weights, and the recomended tire pressures for your mh. You should use these numbers until you can get your unit weighed.
2013 Chevy Sonic Hatchback (Automatic)
wildtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 12:01 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildtoad View Post
There should be a document in your mh showing the gross vehicle weight, gross axle weights, and the recomended tire pressures for your mh. You should use these numbers until you can get your unit weighed.
Well, I did get it weighed, each corner individually. Was kinda surprised at what I found. I loaded about all the stuff we carry and placed compensatory weight at various places in and under the coach to replicate things that would make up a full load out.

Given that the tire pressure was set at the gross axle weight I found that the front was 25 pounds overinflated and the rears were 30 pound over inflated.
Not imo, a condition one wants to drive around with. Lucky it didn't rain.

This is why it is sooo important to weigh each wheel or wheel set individually And not just go by the gross weight reccomendation.
Old 11-11-2011, 12:34 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastcar View Post
...I found that the front was 25 pounds overinflated and the rears were 30 pound over inflated....
I bet your ride improved 10-fold too!

Weight it! Always! Enough said!
ottffss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 05:56 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by ottffss View Post
I bet your ride improved 10-fold too!

Weight it! Always! Enough said!
That's a bet you would win!!
Old 11-12-2011, 01:05 PM   #6

I would also like to bet the mileage went Down;; It did on our Ultimate; Went To the pressure Recommended on the side wall And I'm at 10 MPG ..Remember that ford of years ago? It was listed For sale Compact Ford With Exploding gas tank and self Distructing tires; It also happened the the Ford Explorer, The manufacture Recommended A Lower tire pressure then the tire manufacter The tires got hot and a lot of bad things happened; When you run a tire with lower pressure then what the manufactor recommends it will get hot. If it is properly/per man. It will run cooler ;;I had 2 blowouts with the coachs rating rather then the tire rating Be safe use the tire pressure..Lets move to the next leval. Lets say you are the owner of a company You test a product till it has reached optinum You state that on the product ...... OOPS some one comes along and says. NO you need to do this or that. Then they blow out And you blame the Ford Explorer;;I know not everyone will agree, When you have a blowout on your Underinflated tires (per tire specs.) don't blame the tire company. As I have sees many times;; Life is good These are Only the facts;;
bachler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 01:37 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

bachler if you re-read the posts you'll find that the rig was weighed (each corner no less) and then used the inflation tables you so fondly mention to determine the correct inflation... fastcar did it EXACTLY right. He's also enjoying safe tires and safe inflation and a comfortable ride. Facts is facts in this case.

I will also render an opinion that there is no way that any of us with the primitive and crude methods and non-repeatable driving circumstance could any of us truly measure the mpg difference caused by the inflation changes mentioned in this thread. I also realize that perception is all too often perceived as truth and happily accept that you believe what you believe.

It's all good.
ottffss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 05:10 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by bachler View Post
I would also like to bet the mileage went Down;; It did on our Ultimate; Went To the pressure Recommended on the side wall And I'm at 10 MPG ..Remember that ford of years ago? It was listed For sale Compact Ford With Exploding gas tank and self Distructing tires; It also happened the the Ford Explorer, The manufacture Recommended A Lower tire pressure then the tire manufacter The tires got hot and a lot of bad things happened; When you run a tire with lower pressure then what the manufactor recommends it will get hot. If it is properly/per man. It will run cooler ;;I had 2 blowouts with the coachs rating rather then the tire rating Be safe use the tire pressure..Lets move to the next leval. Lets say you are the owner of a company You test a product till it has reached optinum You state that on the product ...... OOPS some one comes along and says. NO you need to do this or that. Then they blow out And you blame the Ford Explorer;;I know not everyone will agree, When you have a blowout on your Underinflated tires (per tire specs.) don't blame the tire company. As I have sees many times;; Life is good These are Only the facts;;
HUH????

I suppose if I ran more air in the tires my mileage would increase. Of course that's not rocket science, it is less rolling resistance. In other words less tire in contact with the road, which also increases your braking distance, worsens your handling and a few other things that will become more evident on wet roads..

Regarding fuel mileage, we are driving things with the aerodynamics of a brick. Fuel economy it isn't a factor to me, keeping things right side up and heading in the right direction are.

But if it works for you, by all means have at it.
Old 11-12-2011, 10:33 PM   #9
Winnebago Camper

Bachler....please don't take this personally, but the facts don't support at all your comments re Explorer or air pressures on the sides of tires. First, the air pressure indicated on a tire is the MAXIMUM pressure that is NOT to be exceeded....it is NOT a recommended pressure. You will also notice that maximum load ratings are indicated as well. Some tires have a bit more detail than others, but the numbers indicate maximum amounts....not recommended amounts.

Second, I was closely involved in the Firstone/Explorer tire issue and recalls some years ago. For your information, the recommended tire pressures issued by ANY vehicle manufacturer are based upon the TIRE manufacturer's design, testing, engineering reporting and load/air pressure recommendations. The TIRE manufacturers certify the engineering results, the design limits, the load limits and the air pressure ranges and limits for each specific tire they build, not the vehicle manufacturers. The vehicle manufactures rely on the tire data and tire engineering test results provided them by the tire manufacturers....not the other way around. Vehicle manufactures normally do tire testing, but that testing is primarily focused on NVH (noise, vibration, harshness) standards, handling characteristics, wear patterns, fuel mileage....to name just a few. They are not focused on tire pressure recommendations per say outside of those usual parameters since that has already been engineered, determined and certified by the tire manufacturers for the tires involved.

Just as a follow-up, about 2 years ago Firestone FINALLY was forced to accept legal responsiblity and blame for their tire failures and paid Ford (and a couple of other OEM's) many millions of dollars in legal and punitive damages as determined by the Courts. And this is NOT the first time Firestone had been putting dangerous tires on the road. During the early 70's, tread separation on their Firstone 500 tires cost them millions of dollars to rectify....and also cost about a dozen folks their lives.

Those are the facts....
Old 11-12-2011, 11:24 PM   #10
Winnebago Camper

In the 80's I had a set of Firestone tires. They started seperating. The were only 7k miles. I did not know anything about a bunch of them having troubles.
I just scapped them and went to Michelins. No more problems.
Old 11-13-2011, 05:03 AM   #11

I do not want this to become a Judge Judy Thing. If any of you have followed the pressure guide lines Of the coach And blew out 2 tires 275 80 x 22,5 Mich. tiires under 2 years old PLEASE respond ;; Out of the 8 coaches we have oned That one I used the Coach Recommended pressure.. You can state your opion/experiances that is what this forum is for. PLEASE don.t go so low ( snake low) as to down grading a fellow poster Experiances, Or opions, I will not use names, It's senceless and ____-_
bachler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 12:16 PM   #12
Winnebago Owner

I think it's time.

Thanks to all who responded and offered advice. I appreciate it.