Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-11-2013, 09:05 PM   #1
Winnie-Wise

Tire Opinions Please

We have Michelin XRV 235/80R22.5 load range G tires on our current rig. The tires are original to the rig and beginning to show their age. 27,000 miles and the tread looks like new with no abnormal wear patterns. Sidewalls, however, are showing signs of age with minor cracks. I think it's time to look for replacement tires.

Here are what I consider to be my choices;

1. Replace with the same size and model Michelin. This would be my first choice, but they are really expensive. The FMCA program gets me the tires for 378 each, then add mounting, balance, valve stems, etc and they end up over 400 each.

2. Looking at Goodyear 670 RV sized 245/75R22.5 same load range. Had these on a prior rig and they seemed great. Had no problems in 5 years and then traded for this rig. I have heard of possible "rivering" problems with the Goodyear tires. Has this problem been addressed by Goodyear, or is it still an issue?

3. Switching to Hancook, Bridgestone or Toyo? I've read comments about these in the past. I'd like to hear from those of you who have put some miles on these about how they are holding up. How does the quality compare to the Michelin or Goodyear tires?

I am not looking for a "war of opinions" on the tire brands, just an honest assessment from those of you that have run those tires. We are planning a long trip this summer and want some good shoes on the baby before we leave. I am not looking for "cheap" tires, just good tires at a fair price.
Kazoo Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 11:24 PM   #2
Winnebago Watcher

Use Michelin on the front and Hankook on the rear. Great compromise and great ride and best safety considerations
jsabatinos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 02:11 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner

I'm happy with toyo's and they were $1200 less than mich.

Don
Old 04-12-2013, 03:44 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

I have Michelin, ran mine ten years before replacing, and have never experienced a problem. It does not sound like you have either. The way I looked at is was $1,200 amortized over ten years (or seven) was not a lot of money so I went with the tire that got me here.

Frankly I believe if you stay with the brands you mentioned it is just a case of make a choice, they will most likely serve you well if you care for them properly. But there are no iron clad guarantees and when we spend that kind of money it is what we seem to want.

I stayed with the brand and size that came with my MH since it served me well provided I cared for it well. Sounds like you have enjoyed the same experience.
njs42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 08:44 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

The tire dealership is as important as the brand of tires you buy. If there are any Les Schwab stores in your neck of the woods, I'd recommend to go there and get Toyo.
Old 04-12-2013, 10:42 AM   #6
Winnie-Wise

Thank you all once again. Lots of good information here. I am still in the process of getting price quotes on tires. Just got back from the Goodyear truck shop. The price for their RV tire is over $600 each!!! Yikes !!! Makes the program price on the Michelin's seem like an absolute bargain. They also quoted the Goodyear G661 HSA and it is competitive with the Michelin price but is a bit stiffer as a truck tire. Right now I am leaning toward the Michelin.
Old 04-12-2013, 10:53 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

You did get a good price, Two year ago I paid $375. same tire, at Costco pretty much the same price as FMCA. Tires have gone up in price, so you did good.

I found Goodyear priced themselves out of my market as well.
njs42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 12:40 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

If you current Michelins have been trouble free I would go with Michelins through FMCA's fleet purchase plan.

I had 6 installed the week before Christmas. Jan 2nd drove to FL without a problem and the ride was smooth as silk!

-Tom

Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 12:55 PM   #9
Winnebago Watcher

After bad luck with FS, BS and GY, I have only purchased Michelin for the last 30 years.
dsbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 01:07 PM   #10
Winnebago Camper

How much do you save with the FMCA plan? I can't seem to get any details on their website until after I join.

(Snowbirds in Reverse)
Winnebago Chieftain / Ford Hybrid Toad
Raining Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 03:02 PM   #11
Winnebago Camper

http://www.fmca.com/images/stories/p...lin-prices.pdf
rvGator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 05:32 PM   #12
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raining Star View Post
How much do you save with the FMCA plan? I can't seem to get any details on their website until after I join.
The invoice provided by Tom N shows a discount of nearly 50% through the FMCA program. There are also specific instructions for using the program and you must be a member to use it. Looks like the discount will pay my membership dues for many years to come.

Use the link provided by RVgator. Page 2 lists the prices through the program.
Old 04-12-2013, 06:21 PM   #13
Winnebago Owner

I just bought tires under the FMCA Advantage program but have not yet received the final invoice. The sales rep told me that it is quite a deal, even asked me what my dues were to FMCA and couldn't belive it. He thought I was getting a great deal and discount for my membership.

Hope so!
traveler of california is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 09:55 PM   #14
Winnebago Camper

Just had 6 Hankook AH11 P225/70 R19.5 installed on my 2000 Winnebago Adventurer this afternoon for a total of $1800 at Long Distance Tire in Medway, Massachusetts. Chose them as I was going to go with the Michelin XRV and they are listed as a National Advantage Dealer for Michelin. Those would have cost me approx $2400 total. After reading about peoples satisfaction with Hankook tires on here and other forums, personal research and speaking with the sales people at the Dealership, I decided to go with the Hankooks and save some money. Took off a set of Coopers CXMT 320's that were installed in 2006 and were in fantastic shape still with no signs of cracking or deformities along any of the sidewalls. Was very pleased with the service I received and if you are in the area and need replacement tires, look them up. Good luck with your purchase and do plenty of research.
joemcgin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 07:56 AM   #15
Winnebago Camper

G670's

Just had a go-around on replacing tires on our newly purchased Itasca 32v F53 chassis. The original 11 year-old Goodyear 670's were still on there and looked fine, good tread, no weather cracking. PO claimed never had an issue. But, they were 11 years old!

Tire suppler claimed he had better models of Goodyear tires available. I called Goodyear and they said G670's are best they have for RV use... Made with compounds that resist UV and oxygen degradation, and, important for our F53 chassis, more flexible sidewalls for a better ride. I'm getting the G670's. Then again the seller is footing the bill.
Okiedoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 10:04 AM   #16
Winnie-Wise

I was going to take a look at the Hancook tires, but can't find a dealer in my immediate area. Although it doesn't appear that the discount is significant compared to the program price for the Michelins.

I also found that Goodyear is very proud of their G670 tire as evidenced by the retail price of the tire. The manager of the Goodyear Wingfoot truck shop was not able to get the price down under $600+ per tire for me. Almost double the cost of the Michelin under the FMCA program.

The prices become more affordable in the 19" tire sizes as there is more competition, and the regular tire shops can handle the work. The 22.5" sizes require a truck shop to handle the job properly. Right now it appears my best deal is to go with the Michelins using the FMCA program.