Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Running Gear, Axles, Brakes, Wheels and Tires
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 02-27-2017, 10:32 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Tire balancing and cupping tires on toad car

would not balancing The rear tires on the coach affect the tires on the toad? We are still trying to track down why the rear tires on the Honda CRV we toe develop the cupping problems. This happened twice after we replace the first rear tires. We are trying to avoid it happening again on the car, And I just ordered new tires for the motorhome through the FMCA program by the way. Great savings

Towing a 2011 Honda CRV
Hardy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 11:01 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

I don't think so. Truck tire experts I've talked to over the years tell me that they never balance rear RV tires or dualie tires on semi trucks because the randomness of dual mounted tires seems to take care of any balance issues (single steer tires do get balanced). Others, a minority, have said that they balance all of them. Love's tire shops for instance...they have balancers for giant tires. But it's by owner's request since they charge for it.

Anyway, you can get your tires balanced at a Love's Tire shop.

Here's some info on cupping... as a FYI.

Good luck!

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : https://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 11:10 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardy View Post
would not balancing The rear tires on the coach affect the tires on the toad? We are still trying to track down why the rear tires on the Honda CRV we toe develop the cupping problems. This happened twice after we replace the first rear tires. We are trying to avoid it happening again on the car, And I just ordered new tires for the motorhome through the FMCA program by the way. Great savings
Is your CRV AWD or 2WD?
Mine is AWD and I've not had any tire issue from new (2013) win over 35,000 Kilometers on the odometer and likely almost as much towing.
Cupping is usually a result of imbalance or shocks.
Old 02-27-2017, 11:28 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

For the record we replaced the struts/shocks and bought new tires a year before we had to replace the tires again.

Towing a 2011 Honda CRV
Old 02-27-2017, 11:28 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Our car is all-wheelDrive it's the top-of-the-line EX edition from 2011

Towing a 2011 Honda CRV
Old 02-27-2017, 11:29 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Do you load the back of the car with extras when towing it ? That could change the alignment.

Did you change brand of tire ?
I dolly toe my Kia Soul. The 4 OEM tires wore out fine, now the replacement are cupping on the rear. Next set will be a different brand.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 11:34 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Put a little bit in the back of the car but not much. I have thought that possible cupping is caused by bouncing because the car is not heavy enough. Interesting though that when we used to tell a Saturn it was 2000 pounds lighter and had no problem with tire wear. Also had no problem from 2006 through 2011 towing older CRV. All our Toyota four wheels down

Towing a 2011 Honda CRV
Old 02-27-2017, 11:35 AM   #8
Winnebago Owner

That should read the bottom all of them are towed with four wheels down

Towing a 2011 Honda CRV
Old 02-27-2017, 11:40 AM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Interesting thread. I am about to replace the OEM Continentals with Michelins. We shall see what happens. Yes, I know the Michelins are expensive but I've Never had a problem with them on any of my vehicles.
I generally carry my golf clubs and fishing gear when we travel but that's about all the weight I put in.
Old 02-27-2017, 11:46 AM   #10
Winnebago Owner

My thought about weight in the back, is that the front seats are empty, when towing.

Will that effect anything, I don't know.
Old 02-27-2017, 11:49 AM   #11
Winnebago Owner

We have Michelins on coach

Towing a 2011 Honda CRV
Old 02-27-2017, 11:56 AM   #12
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardy View Post
We have Michelins on coach
I do as well. My tire guy is trying to convince me to go with Toyo which is a fair bit less money but I would rather pay the premium and pass on the headaches. Hope that will be the case....
Old 02-27-2017, 12:56 PM   #13
Winnebago Master

When my Honda Accord was brand new the rear tires cupped after about 50,000 miles. A four wheel alignment found that rear wheels were out of alignment. I have had all wheels aligned several times over the years but only the last one at a local Honda dealer seems to have fixed the issue.
Old 02-27-2017, 01:52 PM   #14
Winnebago Watcher

Tire cupping is caused many times by the shocks, specifically the shock's ability to control rebound. The rebound on most car/truck shocks is not an adjustable parameter and the rebound is either too fast or too slow
xrated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 02:42 PM   #15
Winnebago Owner

I have over 80,000 miles on that thing, shock are something I should look into.
Old 02-27-2017, 03:31 PM   #16
Winnebago Owner

I personally have no experience with toads, but is the tow bar level? I would think that if it isn't, it could pull up (or down) on the front of the toad and perhaps affect tire wear?
Old 02-27-2017, 04:37 PM   #17
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4van View Post
I personally have no experience with toads, but is the tow bar level? I would think that if it isn't, it could pull up (or down) on the front of the toad and perhaps affect tire wear?
Good observation. I was just talking to my guy at the tire shop and he made the same comment.
Old 02-27-2017, 10:04 PM   #18
Winnebago Owner

Spent $600 to have shocks replaced, same thing happened again.

Towing a 2011 Honda CRV
Old 02-28-2017, 04:38 AM   #19
Winnebago Watcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4van View Post
Every car/truck/vehicle has a weight ratio front to rear....I.E. the distribution of that weight. An example might be 55% weight on the front axle, 45% of the weight on the rear axle.....unloaded of course. If you change or redistribute that weight, things happen. Shocks that are made to operate correctly with a certain weight on them, become overloaded or unloaded and that affects their operational ability.....as most of these shocks are not adjustable. So, on the toad, if it's not being towed at the same attitude or level that it is made to operate at, there is a possibility it can affect tire wear because of the weight ratio being changed because of being towed at a different attitude or level

That is one of the reasons that weight distribution hitches are so valuable/useful on truck's/SUVs/etc. pulling trailers that are heavy, or at least heavier than the tow vehicle can pull safely without affecting the weight ratio negatively....steering, braking, handling.
xrated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 08:25 AM   #20
Winnebago Camper

First things I would be looking at is tire balance and alignment. You didn't say where the cupping is, inside, outside, both, all across the tread?
I would suspect that the cupping is going on as you drive the car just the same as when you tow the car (wheels turning) and really has nothing to do with the towing process.
Is there any abnormal or fast wear on the front tires? Could be the caster (alignment) is pulling to one side against the hitch which would put some side force on the rear tires at the same time.

Tags
tires, toad