Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-11-2014, 01:51 PM   #21
Winnebago Owner

Our tires started blowing just over five years too! Great tread, no cracks, tires looked new... in Florida also. We had a inner read blowout and had the spare put on without issue. Replaced the spare, made another trip a couple weeks later and blew out another tire 14 miles from our destination. Luckily had our new spare so had that put on. Got to our destination for the weekend, pulled out and within an hour or so had our 3rd blowout in two weeks. Unfortunately we had just used our new spare so had to be towed to the nearest CW a couple miles away. Drove our toad home and left the motorhome for 6 new fresh from the factory tires. A buddy told me long ago, that when they start to blow, they will all blow soon. Never again will I put off buying tires past the 5 year mark. At least down South! Luckily we had roadside coverage so other than the time we spent waiting for service (one time for 4 hours!!!) it didn't cost us anything and we suffered no other damage. Oh yeah, we also purchased a TPMS and that may give us an indicator also!
emmmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2014, 05:07 PM   #22
Winnebago Camper

Wow nothing like reading through everyone's posts to give you religion about changing tires out regularly. I'd always heard about the seven year guideline and our motorhome was right at it when we too blew out an inside dual in Florida several years ago. Not going to let that happen again at least due to the age of the tires.
bandirector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2014, 05:16 PM   #23
Winnebago Camper

My 7 year old XR2's starting riding rougher than a buck board, so I changed them. My new coach ride was back instantly. That made me a believer of the 7 year rule, but I was going to go for ten years.
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2014, 05:28 PM   #24
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by emmmw View Post
Our tires started blowing just over five years too! Great tread, no cracks, tires looked new... in Florida also. We had a inner read blowout and had the spare put on without issue. Replaced the spare, made another trip a couple weeks later and blew out another tire 14 miles from our destination. Luckily had our new spare so had that put on. Got to our destination for the weekend, pulled out and within an hour or so had our 3rd blowout in two weeks. Unfortunately we had just used our new spare so had to be towed to the nearest CW a couple miles away. Drove our toad home and left the motorhome for 6 new fresh from the factory tires. A buddy told me long ago, that when they start to blow, they will all blow soon. Never again will I put off buying tires past the 5 year mark. At least down South! Luckily we had roadside coverage so other than the time we spent waiting for service (one time for 4 hours!!!) it didn't cost us anything and we suffered no other damage. Oh yeah, we also purchased a TPMS and that may give us an indicator also!
What brand of tire? China bombs or GoodYear, Michelin, etc.?
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2014, 05:29 PM   #25
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by brobox View Post
My 7 year old XR2's starting riding rougher than a buck board, so I changed them. My new coach ride was back instantly. That made me a believer of the 7 year rule, but I was going to go for ten years.
We went 8 years on our OEM (Spanish made) Michelins with no troubles.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2014, 06:28 PM   #26
Winnebago Camper

Just left a CG in Savannah GA. While setting up we spotted a Newmar MA being towed into this KOA. You guessed it a front passenger Michelin blowout. Fortunately no on was hurt but the beautiful MA. I spoke with the owner who was busily trying to re wire everything that was hanging down in what used to be the wheel well! The entire front panel was gone! Along with step motor, rim, and who knows what else? Asked the year of the Michelins, yep, seven years exactly. I inspected the rear tires they looked perfect! Made a believer out of me. After traveling I 95 through SC today and dodging or falling into huge potholes I'm sure I've lost a year off my tires. Living in Fl. I will change out after year five for sure.
Clayobx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2014, 07:22 PM   #27
Winnebago Owner

There are a lot of factors relating to longevity of tires. Age at purchase, covering, inflation. speed while driving, keeping them clean, avoiding solvents to make them pretty, road hazards, road temperatures. length of storage etc. The rule of thumb could be if you are worried enough to ask then change them.

A friend of mine who had fifteen years on his tires trouble free said " I guess it amounts to how much risk you are willing to accept". On that note I bought new tires. My Michelin's went ten years and while I do not suggest or recommend it to anyone it is my comfort level.

Yes I have already had the profits of doom talk about the awful things that will happen to me on this website. It is easy to scare someone about tires, retailers count on it for sure.

If in doubt, buy.
njs42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2014, 10:00 PM   #28
Winnebago Master

No scare, you have to manage the risk and follow best practice however it is not a personal risk that some naysayers present it as since people who roll the dice and run old tires put everyone riding near to them at risk.

It is really lousy to be behind a risk taker on my motorcycle when the tread flies off his 6 year old tire. I find being put at risk by these naysayers unacceptable.

You could say its similar to burying your head in a newspaper and not looking while crossing the street. Yes some people may get away with it for some time however there will be an unacceptable number of people harmed from following that example. Regardless of how many people might get away with it the practice is a very poor one and not one to recommend.

The State of Florida is considering making it illegal to sell tires over 5/6 years old or vehicles with tires over that age on them and it is the tire dealers that are the biggest complainers against this. They want to be able to sell you old out of date tires which is quite the opposite of what the naysayers are presenting.

The biggest problem as of late is dealers selling off old inventory of new tires that have been sitting in warehouses for 6 or more years only to have a tread separation and blowout once taken out on the highway. This usually ends up in a rollover with crippling injuries and/or fatalities. Not hype of fear mongering just the reality as is the evidence warehouses maintained by the attorneys here full of vehicles that had new looking 5 year or older tires fail on them.
Old 09-12-2014, 11:01 AM   #29
Winnebago Watcher

My coach is a 2006 and just had a blowout of an orginal tire. I'd checked the pressure before heading out that morning. Also had a tire monitor, no indications of trouble until BOOM. Not going anywhere until I replace the rest.
ssiic175 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2014, 05:30 PM   #30
Winnebago Master

NeilV, How do you determine the age of the tires on vehicle in front of you while riding your motorcycle? Are you wearing all the recommended safety gear (helmet, leather jacket, chaps, gloves, heavy boots, eye protection, etc) while riding your motorcycle? If not, someone is saying the same about you risking death in front of their kids, also unacceptable.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA. "We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution." Abraham Lincoln
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2014, 09:51 PM   #31
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
NeilV, How do you determine the age of the tires on vehicle in front of you while riding your motorcycle? Are you wearing all the recommended safety gear (helmet, leather jacket, chaps, gloves, heavy boots, eye protection, etc) while riding your motorcycle? If not, someone is saying the same about you risking death in front of their kids, also unacceptable.
All the gear all the time with no exceptions.

I wear a full face helmet with both a full face outer clear shield and an inner flip-up sun shield, my riding jacket has level 3 armor at critical points with full back protection, gloves are leather with carbon fiber armor at critical points and inserts to better protect the palms up to the fingertips, riding pants are Kevlar reinforced at the knees, hips and seat with level 3 armor at critical points and leather boots are regulation over the ankle street riding boots.

By the way I prefer Kevlar reinforced riding pants with level 3 armor to to just chaps which only afford minimal protection up front and none whatsoever to sliding on your buttocks. Chaps may be nostalgic and more of an outlaw look but that's not for me.

The only way to ensure compliance is unfortunately through hard and fast laws with regular inspections and strict enforcement. Otherwise you get mamby pamby naysayers who think they are above the law doing what they think is best and usually this is motivated by some form of greed trying to save a buck or by a rebellious attitude against following rules. The carnage here in Florida is getting to the point that its only time before tire age regulations are stiffened and enforced.
Old 09-14-2014, 10:09 PM   #32
Winnie-Wise

Neil - I saw the AGATT. You would be a GWRRA would you?
Old 09-15-2014, 10:04 PM   #33
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Dewald View Post
Neil - I saw the AGATT. You would be a GWRRA would you?
Though I ride with some nice folks on Wings personally I have a 250cc Aprilia with a 4 valve high compression engine that is Interstate capable but gives me between 65 and 80 mpg depending on how you work the throttle so I am not a member of the Gold Wing Road Riders Association.

The little Aprilia carries nicely on a hitch rack and is really easy to flick around on a winding road. Same gear is required to ride safe at Interstate speeds regardless of how many CC's a bike has.

And its never too hot to wear your gear either. I ride daily to commute and save about $4,000 a year on fuel that way. Pays for when I fire up the V10 and go RVing.

AGATT is a way of life and that safety mindset that also includes looking 4, 6, 8, 12, etc seconds ahead of and aside from what you have immediately in front of you then is applied to everything you do.
Old 09-16-2014, 10:11 PM   #34
Winnie-Wise

Fully agree - though I have a large displacement - no flicking!! LOL
Old 09-17-2014, 11:29 AM   #35
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Fully agree - though I have a large displacement - no flicking!! LOL
When you see a good friend crippled for life in a minor sub 20 mph off due to wearing a half helmet and no other gear and then another get bumped a 75 mph by a motorhome and after skidding off the road get up and walk away though his gear took a beating you begin to appreciate it even more.

In the 20 mph off his low shoes came off and he caught a stamped sign post (possibly for a bus stop) between his toes which split his foot up to the instep. Damaged the should cup and chipped an elbow along with a few vertebrae, broke his jaw and messed up his hands along with a lot of skin. Was rendered unconscious instantly and they kept him that way for a few weeks. It took over a year to get him able to walk out of the house. He has more respect for people who wear their gear now and highly encourages it even though he will never be able to ride again and will count his blessings to be able walk out the door without an assistant again.

ATGATT!
Old 09-17-2014, 10:49 PM   #36
Winnie-Wise

Yup - off topic and this will be the last. Nephew did a slow crash and broke his elbow. His full face helmet had a huge gash in the chin bar. Would have lost a jaw except for the chin bar. I changed from the 3/4 to full face the same week.
Old 09-18-2014, 02:59 AM   #37
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Yup - off topic and this will be the last. Nephew did a slow crash and broke his elbow. His full face helmet had a huge gash in the chin bar. Would have lost a jaw except for the chin bar. I changed from the 3/4 to full face the same week.
Its about promoting a culture of safety where we do not compromise doing things safely for ourselves and those around us to meet a time frame or financial goal nor where we compromise due to peer pressure to ignore best practice.

On my bike I understand best practice is to wear my safety gear and follow the 2/3 year rule on tires while on my RV and 4 wheeled roadway vehicles its 5 years along with the rules for operating them safely that also need to be observed.

We all need to work together to generate positively focused peer pressure to ride and drive safe.