Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-29-2008, 03:58 PM   #1
Winnebago Master

We have used the Doran/Pressure Pro tire monitoring solution with great results practically since we have owned the coach.

However...

On the Jeep Liberty we tow, I had a sensor sort of 'freeze' to the tire valve stem apparently from dissimilar metal corrosion. I forgot exactly the genesis of the problem, but the end result was a Jeep tire stem with galled (unusable) threads. No longer could I easily thread the sensor on and off of the stem. The threads in the Doran sensor were ruined, but the tire valve stem threads would still accept a cap.

I recently talked to the Doran/Pressure Pro people to order new seals for the sensors and told her about the problem. She immediately said you need to use Teflon tape with aluminum tire valve stems -- this is the first I have heard of this!

Do you have a Jeep and use screw-on sensors? ....

2005 Horizon 40AD, 2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
John_Canfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 03:58 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

We have used the Doran/Pressure Pro tire monitoring solution with great results practically since we have owned the coach.

However...

On the Jeep Liberty we tow, I had a sensor sort of 'freeze' to the tire valve stem apparently from dissimilar metal corrosion. I forgot exactly the genesis of the problem, but the end result was a Jeep tire stem with galled (unusable) threads. No longer could I easily thread the sensor on and off of the stem. The threads in the Doran sensor were ruined, but the tire valve stem threads would still accept a cap.

I recently talked to the Doran/Pressure Pro people to order new seals for the sensors and told her about the problem. She immediately said you need to use Teflon tape with aluminum tire valve stems -- this is the first I have heard of this!

Do you have a Jeep and use screw-on sensors? ....

Old 04-29-2008, 04:53 PM   #3
Winnie-Wise

John I'm surprised that as a former sailboat owner you haven't heard of this. I also had a sailboat. It had an aluminum mast with stainless steel plates where the shrouds attached. After a couple of years, the aluminum surrounding the plates corroded badly, even under the epoxy coating. Some dissimilar metals don't get along. Stainless steel and aluminum are two of them. The process is called electrolysis. This also how batteries work and eventually wear out. It is amazing how many so-called professionals and engineers do not have any idea of the effects different metals can have on each other.
ChasA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 05:52 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by John_Canfield:

...........However...

Do you have a Jeep and use screw-on sensors? .... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

John, get a small tube of di-electric grease (Silicon Paste) and put just enough to coat the threads on your valve stems, and you will not have that problem again.

You can get it at any auto parts supply or online:

DiElectric Grease On Line Supplier

Best to you - Glenn. (Eileen and I sat beside you and Jane at dinner on the Lake Paddle wheel show boat at the BRANSON rally last year!
Old 04-30-2008, 04:55 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ChasA:
John I'm surprised that as a former sailboat owner you haven't heard of this. I also had a sailboat. It had an aluminum mast with stainless steel plates where the shrouds attached. After a couple of years, the aluminum surrounding the plates corroded badly, even under the epoxy coating. Some dissimilar metals don't get along. Stainless steel and aluminum are two of them. The process is called electrolysis. This also how batteries work and eventually wear out. It is amazing how many so-called professionals and engineers do not have any idea of the effects different metals can have on each other. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Never dawned on me I would have that problem away from salt water Yes - I had lots of problems with dissimilar metal corrosion on the boat - more than once I had to either use a torch, impact driver, or both to remove fasteners on the mast or boom.

Mutha - thanks for the tip. I'll stick with the tape for now since I have a bunch of it laying around the shop.

Old 04-30-2008, 02:06 PM   #6
Winnie-Wise

John,
Is Doran going to give you a break on new sensors? I ask because I'm on the verge of ordering their 360RV system, and I'd like to know how they stand behind their products. I think I'd use the teflon tape too. And locks to make sure the sensors didn't loosen up and leak or fall off.
Chas
ChasA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 03:37 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

Chas,

It's a good product (reliable and works as advertised.) The design of the display and the programming leave a whole lot to be desired - sort of endemic for a generation 1 product.

No - they didn't offer me any break nor was I expecting one - the unit was long out of warranty.

The locks didn't work on my Jeep valve stems - the stems are too short. It really hasn't been an issue not having them - none have unscrewed themselves or have been 'appropriated.'

Old 04-30-2008, 04:09 PM   #8
Winnebago Camper

I use silicone sealer on the stem it also seals them....no corrosion and I'm in salty air west coast florida jim k