Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-26-2017, 05:39 AM   #41
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by 747Driver View Post
On our '03 Winne Adventurer, we went from Michelin to Toyos. We were running 19.5 inch tires. The ride was harder and there was a very noticeable smell issue. We didn't use the RV much the first couple years with the Toyo's but every time I'd pull into a park, I'd swear I had a black water issue. Even to the point that folks would mention it. Long story short, turned out to be the tires. After sitting a couple days, smell would go away until next drive. Over time, it did lessen.
Chris, before I bought my tires I had heard a similar story. I never had the issue except for the first few days. I have Continentals for the steer and I had a smell issue with them for a few days. For both sets of tires the smell was offensive at first. I wonder why it took so long for yours to clear? Could it be early life driving distance curing the rubber faster? I hope one of our forum tire experts can enlighten us.

Happy trails,
Rick Y
Old 02-27-2017, 08:45 AM   #42
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerichorick View Post
Chris, before I bought my tires I had heard a similar story. I never had the issue except for the first few days. I have Continentals for the steer and I had a smell issue with them for a few days. For both sets of tires the smell was offensive at first. I wonder why it took so long for yours to clear? Could it be early life driving distance curing the rubber faster? I hope one of our forum tire experts can enlighten us.

Happy trails,
Rick Y
No expert, but perhaps it has to do with how old the tire was when installed, and how hot they get those first few weeks of driving?

When I bought four of the Toyos back in '09, they had a manufacturing date of less than 6 weeks, I bought in the dry desert area of eastern Oregon, and tended to stay in those types of areas for months after the Toyos were installed. The smell was very pronounced for days, and over the next few weeks, got less and less. A few months (8) later it was occasionally noticeable but mostly gone.

Maybe if I'd been in a higher humidity areas, or in cooler areas, it wouldn't have been as noticeable?

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : https://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 05:53 AM   #43
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim_HiTek View Post
No expert, but perhaps it has to do with how old the tire was when installed, and how hot they get those first few weeks of driving?

When I bought four of the Toyos back in '09, they had a manufacturing date of less than 6 weeks, I bought in the dry desert area of eastern Oregon, and tended to stay in those types of areas for months after the Toyos were installed. The smell was very pronounced for days, and over the next few weeks, got less and less. A few months (8) later it was occasionally noticeable but mostly gone.

Maybe if I'd been in a higher humidity areas, or in cooler areas, it wouldn't have been as noticeable?
I forgot to mention that I had a worse smell from the Continental steer tires when they were first installed. The bottom line is that the smell will go away in time. When the new tires went onto the CR-V I had the same smell problem for a short period of time. All gone now.
Old 03-02-2017, 12:10 AM   #44
Winnebago Owner

Went with toyo

Replaced Michel 235/80-22.5 with Toyo 245/75-22.5 M-154 (G 14 ply). Very happy with the Toyo's
Old 08-12-2021, 09:02 AM   #45
Winnebago Camper

Hey Rick, it's been 4 1/2 years since this post, but was wondering if you are still happy with the Toyo M154's you put on your rears? My 2005 Horizon 40KD is in need of rear replacements, and was looking at the Toyos. I was concerned about the diff in size but your post made me feel much better about that.
Thanks in Advance!
-mike
CigarBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2021, 11:29 AM   #46
Winnebago Owner

i just ordered a couple toyo 154's for the front of mine,tire store said they are the only ones they can get right now,as truck tires are in short supply.
catmandoo62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2021, 01:55 PM   #47
unclescratch

Question diff in size ??

Quote:
Originally Posted by CigarBoy View Post
Hey Rick, it's been 4 1/2 years since this post, but was wondering if you are still happy with the Toyo M154's you put on your rears? My 2005 Horizon 40KD is in need of rear replacements, and was looking at the Toyos. I was concerned about the diff in size but your post made me feel much better about that.
Thanks in Advance!
-mike
Is there a measurable difference in the overall diameter between Michelins and these Toyo replacements?
Old 08-13-2021, 11:49 AM   #48
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by CigarBoy View Post
Thanks in Advance!
-mike
Time flies when you're having fun!

Very happy with them. They are holding up well and still giving a good ride. Now for the road conditions we have encountered? That is a totally different topic.
I am glad I have the EEZ TMPS. We were pushing it hard on this last trip, running at 70mph. The temps were high and the road was as hot as a grill. I had a 132* alarm. Simply slowing down to 65mph was enough to reduce the heating problem of the tires. Never saw a PSI alarm.
Old 08-13-2021, 12:13 PM   #49
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by unclescratch View Post
Is there a measurable difference in the overall diameter between Michelins and these Toyo replacements?
Some. But I did not have an accurate GPS to speedometer match with the Michelin's. Seems to be a bit more accurate with the Toyo's.
I choose the tires by max PSI rating and diameter or RPM as my top options and then traction & driving economy or roll resistance. My M were running at max PSI... 110#. The T are 120PSI rated. The M's would frequently go very high in PSI when traveling. I usually cruised at 63mph. The T's seem to not over pressure as high.

All tires are designed to handle the rolling increase in pressure.

Take your time and become familiar with the site: https://www.toyotires.com/commercial...inder?rim=22-5
Look at full spec table and not simply the simple table.
New tires have been developed and you may find something better for your coach than the M154/H load that I use.

Tags
switch