Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-01-2010, 07:04 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Steering Upgrade Advice

Does anyone know if they make a Tru Center or safe t Plus with a trim that will fit my 2000 Ultimate Advantage. Freightliner chassis with IFS.

Vehicle Details
> Product: FCCC-Motorhome
> VIN: 4UZ6XJCA2YCG65409
> Base Model: XC CHASSIS
> Model Year: 2000
> Build Location: Gaffney SC
> Body Serial No:
> Vocation: RECREATION
> Engine Mfg No: 3126
> Engine SN: 8YL14311
> Trans Mfg Model No: MD-3060
> Trans SN: 6510227955
> Rear Axle SN - Front: NKA99058045
> ARear Axle Mfg - Front: RS-19-145
Tim&Paula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 10:40 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

Why don't you go to the SteerSafe web site and check out their product. It's simple and works like a dream. I wouldn't leave home without it!!!!!!
Old 10-03-2010, 05:09 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

I'm sure Safe-T-Plus does. Check out their website or call as Finhawk recommended. Be Safe
ichn2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 06:20 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finhawk View Post
Why don't you go to the SteerSafe web site and check out their product. It's simple and works like a dream. I wouldn't leave home without it!!!!!!

I sent them a message today. If they have one to fit I think I will install one. I like the fact you do not have to recenter like the other products.
Old 10-03-2010, 06:25 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by ichn2go View Post
I'm sure Safe-T-Plus does. Check out their website or call as Finhawk recommended. Be Safe
The web site for Safe t plus was not clear for my chassis. I called them. They are going to send info. I probably should have asked has anyone installed one of these products on a motorhome like mine with the same chassis. Seems that the Neway IFS is the problem, to get one to fit. Maybe I just have not talked to the right person. I bypassed the dealers and went straight to the manufacturer.
Old 10-03-2010, 10:10 AM   #6
Winnie-Wise

I have a Safe-T-Plus on my 2004 Freightliner XC chassis.
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 10:27 AM   #7
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim&Paula View Post
I like the fact you do not have to recenter like the other products.
I'm not sure I understand this statement. Can you explain please?

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 10:29 AM   #8
Winnie-Wise

We have Safe-T-Plus on our coach (see signature) and it makes the handling much better. I also think that it is a safety feature if we had a front tire blow. Happy travels, Joe
Old 10-03-2010, 03:47 PM   #9
Winnie-Wise

Rick
There is a device you can add to safe t plus that allows you to adjust the centering of the safe t plus unit.

This is copied from Henderson RV: The SuperSteer Trim Unit provides on-the-fly control over the popular Safe-T-Plus hydraulic steering control unit. The Trim Unit bolts to the Safe-T-Plus device and the coach's front axle, allowing the driver to adjust the coach's trim at the flip of a switch. Simply correct the wheel in the direction you want to go, flip the switch, and a new center point is established. A great aid in fighting strong side winds.
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 04:56 PM   #10
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ciderdog View Post
Rick
There is a device you can add to safe t plus that allows you to adjust the centering of the safe t plus unit.

This is copied from Henderson RV: The SuperSteer Trim Unit provides on-the-fly control over the popular Safe-T-Plus hydraulic steering control unit. The Trim Unit bolts to the Safe-T-Plus device and the coach's front axle, allowing the driver to adjust the coach's trim at the flip of a switch. Simply correct the wheel in the direction you want to go, flip the switch, and a new center point is established. A great aid in fighting strong side winds.
Thanks much. I have a Safe T Plus and am very familiar with the trim kit... in fact it's been on my wish list for some time now. I just didn't understand your comment about not having to re-center like other units. I guess you meant you didn't need to stop the coach, get out the tools, crawl underneath and hope you guessed right when making adjustments. I think the Safe T Plus trim kit allows you to re-center any time it's necessary while driving... much like the Blue Ox Tru Center.

Thanks for the clarification.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
Old 10-03-2010, 06:11 PM   #11
Winnie-Wise

I know what my Safe-T-Plus looks like but I can't imagine how something could make it center in a different spot. I'll take your word for it though, and I should research the material at Henderson's. I'll look for the SuperSteer Trim Unit. It would really be helpful if someone with the unit can reply. Thanks, Joe
Old 10-03-2010, 06:20 PM   #12
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickO View Post
I'm not sure I understand this statement. Can you explain please?

Rick

What I think I meant was the safe steer unit has a spring on both sides of the pivot point. It has an independant unit for each front wheel that looks like it will self center each wheel. I do not know much about these things. Just an observation from looking at the pictures of the Safe Steer installed.
Old 10-03-2010, 06:37 PM   #13
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by azloafer View Post
I know what my Safe-T-Plus looks like but I can't imagine how something could make it center in a different spot. I'll take your word for it though, and I should research the material at Henderson's. I'll look for the SuperSteer Trim Unit. It would really be helpful if someone with the unit can reply. Thanks, Joe
I googled all over for the Safe-T-Plus Trim Kit with negative results. I wonder if we are talking about two different products...like SafeSteer or something else. Joe
Old 10-03-2010, 06:47 PM   #14
Winnie-Wise

I finally found the $550 trim kit. I read the install instructions and I think I'll stay with what I have for now. I have no complaints with the Safe-T-Plus the way it is now so I have no need for an add-on. Thanks for the information anyway, at least I know more than I did a few minutes ago! Thanks, Joe
Old 10-03-2010, 07:24 PM   #15
Winnebago Master

Hey Tim, sorry, I think I got mixed up in there somewhere between posts, quotes, and replies... I know what you mean about the Safe Steer but somehow my brain was picturing Safe T Steer which is a considerable different design.

Joe; glad you found the material on the Safe T Steer trim kit. As I understand it, John Henderson is now heading up all of the Safe T Steer stuff for Henderson's Lineup. I wish my coach handled as well as yours. Even though I love the Safe T Steer (including the safety factor) I still find that frequently either cross winds or the road crown make me wish I could just push a button and have the STS make that compensation for me.

It interesting that nobody who has actually installed it has chimed in here yet. I find a lot of comments from satisfied Tru Center customers but not STS.... no negatives but just not much comment at all. Don't care. I still want one.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
Old 10-03-2010, 10:34 PM   #16
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by ichn2go View Post
Something was lost in the translation. I recommended SteerSafe. I know nothing about the other setups. But I do know that I am well satisified with SS ---this is the 2nd rig that put I them on. Even tho I was told that I didn't need anything on the Workhorse, it did make a big difference in the way it handles