Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Running Gear, Axles, Brakes, Wheels and Tires
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 02-11-2008, 03:17 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

For those who have had flats and those that carry a spare tire a couple of what may be a dumb questions but I'm really at a loss as to what to consider.
1. On my 07 Journey 36G, the fron rim (wheel) appears to be different that the rear wheels. (Or are the wheels just turned around for mounting in the rear?)
2. I've read on the forums that the front tires may be "steering" tires which are different that the rear tires....your opinion? If they are different, how can you tell?
3. If the tires are different and the wheels are different, which tire and wheel combination do you normally carry?
4. Which tire has normally gone flat on your rig? I would think that it's by chance and that chance is even for all six tires. Yes - No?

I saw the spare tire mounting system posted a couple of weeks ago and it appeared he was mounting a front wheel/tire. By the way...nice mount system, this is what I'd like to try on the MH. The one thing I did miss is this mount system was how did they raise and lower the tire/wheel up into the frame mount...??

The reason I've asked these questions is that I had an outside rear tire go flat due to a screw. When I called "Coachnet" they said I needed a "spare tire" for the repair guy to work with. Also they indicated that they definetly do not recommend repairing the punctured tire. (??) Well, several responded to the repair question and it seems that most would repair. OK, so now my concern is, what wheel do I spend my $$ on and since I have this "spare" repaired tire, if I have another screwed up tire on the front can the repaired tire be used on the front?

As time goes by I'm finding out owning a MH sure is a learning experience! And I thought growing old might be eaiser on the brain...boy oh boy oh boy. It is a challenge!

thanks
jk_and_dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 03:17 AM   #2
Winnebago Owner

For those who have had flats and those that carry a spare tire a couple of what may be a dumb questions but I'm really at a loss as to what to consider.
1. On my 07 Journey 36G, the fron rim (wheel) appears to be different that the rear wheels. (Or are the wheels just turned around for mounting in the rear?)
2. I've read on the forums that the front tires may be "steering" tires which are different that the rear tires....your opinion? If they are different, how can you tell?
3. If the tires are different and the wheels are different, which tire and wheel combination do you normally carry?
4. Which tire has normally gone flat on your rig? I would think that it's by chance and that chance is even for all six tires. Yes - No?

I saw the spare tire mounting system posted a couple of weeks ago and it appeared he was mounting a front wheel/tire. By the way...nice mount system, this is what I'd like to try on the MH. The one thing I did miss is this mount system was how did they raise and lower the tire/wheel up into the frame mount...??

The reason I've asked these questions is that I had an outside rear tire go flat due to a screw. When I called "Coachnet" they said I needed a "spare tire" for the repair guy to work with. Also they indicated that they definetly do not recommend repairing the punctured tire. (??) Well, several responded to the repair question and it seems that most would repair. OK, so now my concern is, what wheel do I spend my $$ on and since I have this "spare" repaired tire, if I have another screwed up tire on the front can the repaired tire be used on the front?

As time goes by I'm finding out owning a MH sure is a learning experience! And I thought growing old might be eaiser on the brain...boy oh boy oh boy. It is a challenge!

thanks
Old 02-11-2008, 03:43 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

As far as I know there is no difference in the tires or wheels all six should be the same..
18 Wheelers have drive tires and trailer tires but I don't know the difference and I am not sure all uses them.

I would carry a wheel and tire of the size that is on your rig, if you feel you need a spare.
Good Luck
ichn2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 03:44 AM   #4

JK sorry I can't answer your questions except to say when we replaced our tires they were all the same size and type. Also, please check your Private Message for some info you asked for last week.
glenda1908 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 04:19 AM   #5
Winnie-Wise

I don't personally carry a spare but I think many who carry spares carry an unmounted tire. Lots less weight and a tire service can mount it on scene with your flat tire rim.

The front and rear rims on my '05 Meridian are different. The inside rear rims are steel not aluminum like the outer ones. I'd have to carry three mounted rims to cover all possibilities.

'05 Meridian 36G
CHIPPYSGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 08:27 AM   #6
Winnebago Camper

I always thought that the front aluminum rims and the rear aluminum rims were the same, just reversed, but I have no hard data to support this.

I carry an unmounted spare, but have planned to get a steel rim and mount the thing under the coach (a 36G) "someday". My reasoning is that a steel rim could be mounted in any position if only temporarily. But an aluminum rim wouldn't work on the inside rear position as the lugs wouldn't be long enough to reach through two aluminum rims.

2005 Itasca Meridian
John Mc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 09:00 AM   #7
Winnebago Master

I also carry an unmounted spare tire. Motorhome tires are not position specific. Your wheels are interchangeable....the front wheels are just mounted differently than your outside rear wheels. If you bought a steel wheel and mounted a tire on it for a complete spare, it would fit any wheel position on your coach...it just has to be turned either in or out depending on the particular wheel position.

Not sure why Coachnet advised that you had to provide a spare. I am under the impression (maybe wrong) that they will ask the tire service to bring a new tire (which obviously you pay for) or use your spare if you have it. The decision of whether to plug/patch a tire should rest with the tire expert and the owner.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 10:01 AM   #8
Winnebago Master

Hello jk_and_dog,

You will find that all six tires are the same. Be they Michelin XRV, XZE, or possibly some other brand and model. You could mount new steer tires on the front like the XZA3 but it only comes in one size that would fit a Journey. The XZA2 also has limited size. The XZE has the deepest tread of any tire on the market and handles more firmly than the XRV tire. We have over 70,000 miles on our 275/80R22.5 XZE's and they still have more than half the tread left.

We do not carry a spare. Three RV's and a total of over 160,000 miles and have never had a flat. 170,000 miles on a Buick and no flats. But 150,000 miles on a Van and we've had probably 7 flat tires all caused by nails or screws. To spare or not to spare, that is the question.

The rims are another issue. The fronts and outside rears are aluminum and the only difference is which side they are polished on. The inside rear is steal since it isn't seen. You could do as John plans and carry the spare mounted on a steel rim. I don't know if the decrease in thickness will cause a problem with the fancy lug nuts or not. Pulling a wheel off to check is a pain but could make the decision on a steel rim for you.

The XZE, especially in the 275/80R22.5, is a very common size and should be stocked by just about every Michelin dealer. The 255 or 235 might be a little less common. Another thing to think about would be to have the tire dealer bring a used tire of a similar size to get you home on and then replace the tire with a new one and carry the used tire as a spare.

As smlranger says, ˜The decision of whether to plug/patch a tire should rest with the tire expert and the owner.'
Old 02-11-2008, 03:08 PM   #9

I carry a mounted tire and wheel as my spare. At the very least, I would carry a spare tire so you're not stuck for two or three days while trying to find a new tire.

Many people here don't carry a spare at all and have driven many tens of thousands of miles, never having a flat or blow-out. I'd rather have the piece of mind and be a little more prepared, just in case... now, someday when I'm retired, maybe I won't mind being stuck somewhere for a day or so waiting for a tire, but I've got a few more years to go. Until then, there's that darn time-clock...
Richard 34A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 04:01 PM   #10
Winnie-Wise

It apparently does not apply do all coaches but it appears that your coach like mine does have different rims in the front versus in the back.

On my coach, the mounting hubs of the rear wheels are 9 inched in diameter and the front wheels have an 11 inch mount. The bolt pattern is different as well (count them). They are definitely not interchangeable. I was not aware of this either until I needed to speak to Acuride regarding a problem with one of my rims and they pointed that out to me. Still in disbelieve I measured it and they were right.

The tires are exactly the same front and rear, so no issue there. It might be a good idea to carry a spare un-mounted tire to address your spare concern.
Harry B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 02:24 PM   #11
Winnebago Owner

just wanted to say thanks to everone that responded. I think the spare unmounted in the deep bin will answer my concerns for imediate time but still trying to figure out how to mount unmounted (off rim) tire under MH between frames so that no trash will buildup inside it.

again thanks
jk
Old 02-12-2008, 02:39 PM   #12
Winnebago Camper

I heard someone's idea once about putting an inner tube inside the tire and inflating it just enough to fill the tire. The idea was that this would keep the trash out of an unmounted tire under the coach.

2005 Itasca Meridian
John Mc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 02:43 PM   #13
Winnebago Master

Since the tire is unmounted you can just wrap in in plastic film, going across the tread and through the center, around and around. That will keep both the inside and outside clean.

2005 Winnebago Vectra 36RD
cbeierl is offline   Reply With Quote