Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Running Gear, Axles, Brakes, Wheels and Tires
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 12-08-2007, 04:05 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

On the 36G journey, do you have a spare tire and if so where did you find a place to stow it? Would you recommend fixing a flat that has a small screw in it. If no why? Tire is the 22.5 XRV Mich. outside dual that went flat. Cost of new tire was 472.50. Mounting i haven't gotten the bill yet.
jk_and_dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2007, 04:05 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

On the 36G journey, do you have a spare tire and if so where did you find a place to stow it? Would you recommend fixing a flat that has a small screw in it. If no why? Tire is the 22.5 XRV Mich. outside dual that went flat. Cost of new tire was 472.50. Mounting i haven't gotten the bill yet.
Old 12-08-2007, 05:19 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

I have a 36G Meridian and no spare tire. Have read several posting in the past that showed how to build a tire carrier and mount the spare underneath the chassis between the frame rails just in front of the differential. Seemed like a good idea but how to get the tire (mounted on a wheel) home and raised up in the position seemed like a difficult task.
Wagonmaster2
wagonmaster2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2007, 05:24 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

P.S. Forgot your other question, a small screw shouldn't be much different than a small nail. The tire repairer should be able to tell whether its a good repair or not.
Wagonmaster2
Old 12-08-2007, 05:34 PM   #5
Winnie-Wise

I made a carrier to carry a mounted tire under our Journey 36G for the last several years. If you look at the area under the coach behind the propane tank, you'll see there is plenty of room to mount a spare tire up against the frame rails.

Lifting it onto the carrier is a little tough, so I ended up using the emergency winch that came with the rig to pull slides in as a winch to lift the tire onto the carrier.
Old 12-09-2007, 04:27 AM   #6
GG1
Winnie-Wise

I keep an unmounted spare on the platform thats in the second storage compartment back on the passengers side. It fits perfect unfortunately it takes away from outside storage and road service does not cover mounting and dismounting the tire from the rim.
Old 12-09-2007, 06:17 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Thanks GG1, -- I've been looking for a new place to put my unmounted spare. Unbenknowst to me when I purchased the rig, or to the dealer who was handleing it under consignment from a very satisfied former customer, I found my tire under the bed! It sure stays nice and clean but does add a bit of weight to the wrong side of the coach. Now I have to get out in the cold and measure the area GG1 refers to as my memory of it indicates it might be the perfect fit as indicated.
Old 12-09-2007, 07:34 AM   #8
GG1
Winnie-Wise

Put the spare in a large plastic garbage bag then slide it on the shelf. (It beats putting vaseline on the sidewalls).
Old 12-10-2007, 02:33 AM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Your tire should be able to be fixed. Have a good tire repair service check it. Go to a place that has large truck tires.
Old 12-13-2007, 04:16 PM   #10
Winnebago Owner

In our 2003 Journey DL, I found that an unmounted spare would just fit in the second passenger-side storage bay up on the shelf behind the main compartment. I didn't mind giving up this space too much, since I never found it too useful.

Terry Smay

cyko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 04:40 PM   #11
Winnie-Wise

Below are some old pictures I found showing the tire carriers I had made up for our Journey. As you can see, the carrier was made so that the tire was lifted up onto the 4 threaded bolts and fastened up against the frame rails.

The last picture just shows how I lifed the tires into place using the winch supplied with the Journey.

Old 12-13-2007, 06:16 PM   #12
Winnie-Wise

I thought Joe-K had a great idea and I wanted to carry a spare. I used Joe's idea but instead of using tubing I used 3" angle iron. The angle iron for the foot (that sits on the frame) worked out well because the flat stock of angle fit low on the frame and enabled the wiring looms to sit on the lower part of the frame. So my frame support fit like a reversed "L". The other supports were basically the same. The beauty of Joe's design is that with the tire on the frame and the braces in-place there is no way that tire will come down accidentally.

I used an aluminum rim that saved me about 50 lbs so I can muscle it down with a bottle jack and a block of wood in an emergency.

Joe's idea enabled me to carry a mounted spare that is out of the way. This spare provides piece of mind that I will be back on the road real soon if I have a tire or rim emergency. Also, I will be able to help someone else in and emergency especially if that someone is you.

Anyway, a belated thanks to Joe-K for a great idea.
Gary CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 06:41 PM   #13
Winnebago Owner

Just wanted to say thanks. Pretty good ideas. I think I like the frame mount since I have other odds and seldom used but for me essential items stored in the "upper" section of the passenger bay.

again thanks...
jk
Old 12-14-2007, 01:51 AM   #14
Winnebago Owner

I pull a 18 foot trailer, so I just put the spare not mounted underneath the Jeep. I lay it on the trailer, and drive up and strattle it.

1999-2008 traded in Suncruiser 90,000 miles
Jeeperrmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007, 02:25 AM   #15
Winnebago Camper

Newbie here and I may be speaking out of turn.... but why hasn't Winne made a specific spot or carrier for the spare? Considering they have been building rigs for longer than most, I am surprised.
Ice-Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007, 07:00 AM   #16
Winnebago Owner

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Ice-Man:
Newbie here and I may be speaking out of turn.... but why hasn't Winne made a specific spot or carrier for the spare? Considering they have been building rigs for longer than most, I am surprised.
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

My Sightseer does, in fact, have the spare mounted in its own compartment with an access door on the outside. Of course, one has to be built like Hercules to be able to lift it out, but at least it's out of the way. I hope I never need it!

Jeep Wrangler
Gary the Wombat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007, 08:55 PM   #17
Winnebago Master

Gary CA - You wouldn't by any chance have pictures of the way you used the L angle iron to build the carrier? Did you have to buy a new aluminum wheel or are they available used? I have been looking at Joe's pictures for some time now, trying to figure out how to get a wheel to the welder for exact fitting, but no way to transport the wheel without the bracket and no way to build the bracket without the wheel. Could take measurements off a wheel on the coach but might not be as exact as needed.
Wagonmaster2
2004 Itasca Meridian 36G
Old 12-15-2007, 03:43 AM   #18
Winnie-Wise

The wheel measurements really aren't super critical so maybe if I explain the idea of the design a little bit it will make more sense.

Let's look at this photo again...

The cross tubes which are 1x2 inch tubing need to be raised about 2 inches off the bottom of the frame rail to allow for the offset center portion of the wheel to be lifted above the frame. When the wheel and tire is in place, the tire is pulled against the frame rails, but the center of the wheel is actuall about 1/2 inch from contacting those 1x2 inch cross tubes.

The 2x2 inch small pieces at each end of the 1x2 inch tubing provide the height to raise the cross tubes. That height just worked out well and the 1/2" clearance between the wheel center and cross tubes is good to allow some variation in tire sidewall or width.

Since the two cross tubes are identical, the only critical dimension is the distance between the two bolts in the cross tubes. Those bolts are 1/2" and the wheel stud hole is probably 1" or so so you've actually got plenty of clearance. I use stainless bolts, stainless nyloc nuts and a large stainless fender washer to hold the wheel. The large stainless fenderwashers easily cover the whole lug holes in the wheel once the wheel is in place.

That final tube across the top of the carrier is only raised another 2 inches and in place at all for that matter to help me install the tire.

I made lifting bar that installs inside the wheel (visible in the last picture) that I hook my winch strap on to. I run the strap up over that little cross tube between the two carrier bars and then run it out the side of the motorhome. By bracing the winch against the motorhome framing near the propane tank, I crank up the tire.

If you are lifting the tire with 2 people, or a jack of some type, you really don't need that final tube at all. The two carrier tubes will stay in place as they are bolted to the tire when it is in place. They can be free to move to the proper width to match the wheel bolt spacing. Obviously if you do use that upper tube, the spacing of the two bars does need to match the wheel but you could drill those holes to match the wheel once you got the carrier home.
Old 12-15-2007, 04:39 AM   #19
GG1
Winnie-Wise

I saw a rear mount in a campground not long ago. It fits into the tow bar receiver and adapts to a slide in tow bar like a bike rack does. Its advertised in the FMCA magazine in the back where they advertise stuff. Its a little pricey but it works it also tilts down to get to the engine compartment. Try this rvtirecarrier.com
Old 12-15-2007, 05:32 AM   #20
Winnie-Wise

My 01 35U had a carrying rack at the rear of the coach that seemed easy to get to...at least the Good Sam ERS guy had no trouble getting the spare off and the flat back on it when I blew one. It was hinged at the front end and came down somehow at the aft. The 08 Sightseer 35J has the aforementioned spare tire compartment. I agree that it must be a bear to get it out of there! But that compartment has room to store extra sewer hose, power cords etc!