Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Running Gear, Axles, Brakes, Wheels and Tires
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 12-15-2007, 04:41 PM   #21
Winnebago Camper

Joe-K . . . What's the winch supplied with Journey that you mentioned? I have a new '06journey and don't think I have a winch. What's it look like? Thanks.
Old 12-15-2007, 05:11 PM   #22
Winnebago Owner

I got AAA and Sam's. If I have a flat or a blow out, pull out the cell phone.
I'm phyically able to change those tires and have in the past but now days will pay someone to get dirty and do it for me.

Most excellent pictures on a well planed out and built carrier. Thanks for sharing.
gunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2007, 02:14 AM   #23
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Bill Barclay:
Joe-K . . . What's the winch supplied with Journey that you mentioned? I have a new '06journey and don't think I have a winch. What's it look like? Thanks. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It looks like a boat winch with a crank and a nylon strap with a hook on the end of it. It attaches to a strap under the sofa area and is used when you slidouts fail so you can pull them in manually. I don't see it in the parts manual for your 06.
Old 12-16-2007, 02:55 AM   #24
Winnebago Camper

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by gunny:
I got AAA and Sam's. If I have a flat or a blow out, pull out the cell phone.
I'm phyically able to change those tires and have in the past but now days will pay someone to get dirty and do it for me.

Most excellent pictures on a well planed out and built carrier. Thanks for sharing. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Get a blow out - then its time to call the man that can whilst we have afternoon tea and enjoy the break
Ice-Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2007, 04:51 AM   #25
Winnie-Wise

The winch is exactly what Neil described. Just an ordinary boat winch Winnebago supplied to be used as an "emergency slide retraction device"

I just figured it was in the rig, so I'd use it to lift the tire. You have to remember, the 22.5 inch wheel and tires weighs around 160 lbs so lifting into place isn't easy. With the bar across the carrier though and the eyelet bar bolted to the wheel, you can lift it with anything. I usually have a pulling strap in my toad so in a pinch, if the road service guys can't lift the tire, hook the strap onto the tire, the other end on the toad, and use it to lower the wheel. Again, the point was just to have a point to lift the wheel if needed.

Like others have mentioned, I'd probably let road service change the tire if they were available, but if you've ever tried to find a 235/80/R22.5 or a 275/70R22.5 tire in stock in a brand to match your other tires you'll know why carrying the spare was important to me.
Old 12-16-2007, 05:44 AM   #26
Winnebago Master

Bill Barclay - Just in case you're still wondering about that winch... Winnie changed to a different backup retraction system for the big slide in '03 or '04. The winch is no longer supplied or used.

Joe-K - Thanks much for the extra explanation.
tomsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007, 05:49 PM   #27
Winnie-Wise

I posted photos of my Joe-K inspired spare tire carrier. As mentioned I used angle iron instead of tublar steel. Here is the post link. If you have any questions send me a PM and we'll talk.

Thank you to forum members that assisted me to post these pictures. Especially Monaco MaMa this early morning.

[URL=http://www.irv2.com/photopost/showphoto.php?photo=6630&cat=500&ppuser=335]
Gary CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2007, 06:32 AM   #28
Winnie-Wise

Looks great Gary!!

I think the angle iron works better since it doesn't require lifting the bundle of wires up inside the frame rails.

I only have one comment Are all your wheels that shiny