Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-27-2010, 07:09 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Spare Tire

Was just wondering as we're looking at the Itasca Ellipse 40cd it just occurred to me that I don;t ever remeber seeing a spare tire or a spot for a spare tire on or in it.

1-Do they come with one

2-If they don't what are most of you doing.

Thanks Trap
Traps90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 07:36 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

Trap,
I have a Winnebago Destination 40 ft and it does not have a spare tire, and I don't want one. I don't have the equipment to remove a 400 footpound (So I've heard) lug nut, and lift a 100 pound rim and tire. I have roadside assistance. Call them and they come fix the flat or they bring a new tire and replace the ruined one. The roadside assitance may not want to bring a new tire, but the company they contact will contact you by phone and you can make arrangements with them. With roadside assistance you do not provide for any of the service, but you will have to pay for parts.(tires)

Good luck.
Wayne M is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 10:49 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

None of my three Diesels came with a spare tire--just too big and heavy as Wayne said. I too have relied on my road service in the case of a tire problem--thank goodness I have never needed them. I'm sure you could find a place in one of the pass thru's but it would take up a lot of room. Several people have purchased just the tire and not the rim in case of a torn up tire. It's not a bad idea if you can find a place for it. Good luck. John
bellsharbor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 10:50 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

There is no way that the average(spelled OLDER) person is going to change the tire on the bigger rigs. It might be wise though to carry a dismounted tire if traveling into an area where truck tire shops are few and far between.

Don, WIT 70041
Grimesy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 04:16 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Thanks everyone, I kinda wondered about all that and it makes sense, not sure I'd want to tackle that job if I didn't have to. As far as carrying a spare, I guess after loading everything up I'd have to see if that would even be possible.

Trap
Old 10-28-2010, 04:35 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Most of us have a good ERS that will bring a new tire out to replace the shot tire.

At lest that is what Allstate RV Roadhelp has done for me in the past.
Triker56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 05:42 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Two words for you: Coach Net.
gmanatl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 05:43 PM   #8
Winnie-Wise

Almost no diesel pushers come with a spare tire, although some folks carry an unmounted tire in one of the compartments, for the roadside assis guy to install. I carry a mounted spare between the frame rails, which can be lowered down and installed by the roadside guy. I would never attemot to change one of these by myself, but it could be good to carry one.

Depending on where you are, you may be at the mercy of either buying a mismatched tire at an extremely inflated price, or waiting for days for the tire people to order the one you need (and paying whatever price they decide to charge you). If you carry a tire, even unmounted, at least you have what you need, and all they need to do is mount it.
Indian River, De
CaptBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 07:24 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmanatl View Post
Two words for you: Coach Net.
Yes we do have Coach Net on our 5'er. and will continue to have it.

Thanks Trap
Old 10-28-2010, 07:25 PM   #10
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptBill View Post
Depending on where you are, you may be at the mercy of either buying a mismatched tire at an extremely inflated price, or waiting for days for the tire people to order the one you need (and paying whatever price they decide to charge you). If you carry a tire, even unmounted, at least you have what you need, and all they need to do is mount it.
That's some very good info to think about, since we love the west you may be very correct on being held hostage over a new tire.

Thanks Trap
Old 10-28-2010, 07:51 PM   #11
Winnebago Owner

Here is what I do:

http://rsanityrvtravels.blogspot.com..._archive.htmlH

Best Regards!

2007 Winnebago Journey 39K Freightliner Chassis, Cat C7
Old Snipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 08:14 PM   #12
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Snipe View Post

sorry but when I click on the link it says it's not available.

Trap
Old 10-28-2010, 08:15 PM   #13
Winnebago Camper

Triker56-four words. Drop Allstate RV Roadhelp.
RVhauler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 08:38 PM   #14
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traps90 View Post
sorry but when I click on the link it says it's not available.

Trap

Drop the final "H" in the link... '.html' not '.htmlH'
emiddleb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 09:07 PM   #15
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by emiddleb View Post
Drop the final "H" in the link... '.html' not '.htmlH'

Thanks I added this to my favorites and will definitly check into this more when we get the Coach.

Trap
Old 10-28-2010, 09:31 PM   #16
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Thanks everyone, I kinda wondered about all that and it makes sense, not sure I'd want to tackle that job if I didn't have to. As far as carrying a spare, I guess after loading everything up I'd have to see if that would even be possible.

Trap
Also note when your traveling most big rigs don't carry spares. They just call road service like we do.

Southern California
BZam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 10:11 PM   #17
Winnebago Camper

Quote:

Trap

we carry a dismounted tire in the trunk of our tow car....big tires are sometimes not easy to find or you may have to pay much more for the tire. we also have good sam road service for the tire installation.
faye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 06:23 AM   #18
Winnebago Owner

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVhauler View Post
Triker56-four words. Drop Allstate RV Roadhelp.
I have had no reason to do that.
I went to Allstate RV Roadhelp from Good Sam ERS back in 1994. When GS charged $19.95 for any vehicle above the RV that you wanted covered.

In 1994 Allstate covered my MH, car, truck & motorcycle for the same price. GS didn't until a few years later. I had never even heard of Coach Net back then.
RV Roadhelp also covers any vehicle I drive be it rented or a friends vehicle.

RV Roadhelp over the years have towed a pick up truck I had twice to a shop of my choice. Came and unlocked it once.

They came and gave the MH a battery jump when it would,'t start at a gas station. They have brought me a 22.5" tire when needed. And the price was less then I paid per tire to replace the other 5.

They have arranged to send me a service truck in a area they had no service contract. I did have to pay cash for the service but Allstate was fast to reinburse me 100% of the total amount. For the service call, changing of the tire and even the disposal cost of the tire.

And I am sure they are other things they have done, that I have forgotten about.

In all of the 16 years they have also given me a FREE KOA 10% discount card. I don't usually use KOA, but over the years I have when their were no other choice in the area I wanted to stay at.

You don't need any other Allstate insurance or belong to any RV club to get RV Roadhelp.

Your experience may be different then mine with Allstate.
And there is nothing wrong with that.

But until they don't stand up to their agreement with me for service when needed. I will be renewing again next April for the 17th time.
Triker56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 09:52 AM   #19

When we bought our 2000. Winnebago Ultimate. I was a Bit concerned, Whooo no spare. the coach was new. I called around. and found out they did not Carry spare tires'. I said OK., Now as with most all insurance policys they include/offer roadside assistance, Moving on . near Las Vag. N. at about 70 Mph Tha FR. right blew out The Famed Zipper On the inner side wall As stated earlier they are quite heavy; Any after we got over the shock of that explosion under our feet and got it stopped. Which was no problem at all ;; just keep the foot OFF the brake pedal; Any way we called our insurance co; and within 10 minutes we got a call from them asking me the tire size and our exact location, Another 25 minutes we were ON THE ROAD AGAIN,,. this was returning from the Ballon fest in Albaqurqe; In 2002. Now in May of 2003 In Massula MOnt. again at 65/70 MPH. the inside Left Rear dule Blew out . To add more excitement My wife was in the bathroom at that time.. Now I have a coach moving down the hyway unsafe and my sobing wife Screeming at me about them Dammed tires;; After we got near the side of the road Stopped called our insurance. Company And got the same fantastic results; Only this time we pulled into a truck stop.That sold tires.. From the prior experiance and tire center discussions,I was informed that the Zipper blowout was a common occurance on that tire It is the RV tire, Softer side walls. Well we went up To the 295x 22.5 ,I think it is , Truck Green line X It rides a bit more Harsh But is much more stable And easier to handle.... Now I would like to leave you with this thought. Never under any cercumstances, Exeed 7 years on your tires. 3years is more realistic;; Man the tires are the foundation of your house, Don't let it crumble into the ground. I hope I didn't bore you; These were some things needed to be shared. Thanks . Life is good.
bachler is offline   Reply With Quote