Old 12-04-2018, 11:48 PM   #15
Winnebago Owner

My main reason for asking about the foreign-made tires stems from the Bridgestone/Firestone debacle from a few years ago. To be sure, foreign tire makers are indeed required to abide by U.S. standards, but Bridgestone, a Japanese owned company, and who also owns the Firestone brand, supplied Firestone tires to the Ford Motor Company that turned out to be defective and subject to blowout. Even worse, Bridgestone seemed at least for a while to let Ford twist in the wind alone as Fords, usually Explorers, started having very bad accidents with the media screaming that Ford was building dangerous vehicles. It also bothers me greatly that this debacle destroyed a nearly 100 year business partnership started by Henry Ford and Harvey Firestone. Some will no doubt criticize me for this, but my personal bottom line is to not place my complete trust in foreign-made products unless nothing else is available.
Old 12-05-2018, 07:13 PM   #16
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by akeagle View Post
My main reason for asking about the foreign-made tires stems from the Bridgestone/Firestone debacle from a few years ago. To be sure, foreign tire makers are indeed required to abide by U.S. standards, but Bridgestone, a Japanese owned company, and who also owns the Firestone brand, supplied Firestone tires to the Ford Motor Company that turned out to be defective and subject to blowout. Even worse, Bridgestone seemed at least for a while to let Ford twist in the wind alone as Fords, usually Explorers, started having very bad accidents with the media screaming that Ford was building dangerous vehicles. It also bothers me greatly that this debacle destroyed a nearly 100 year business partnership started by Henry Ford and Harvey Firestone. Some will no doubt criticize me for this, but my personal bottom line is to not place my complete trust in foreign-made products unless nothing else is available.
Uhmmm, no.
As Paul Harvey would say, now it's time for the rest of the story:

Ford specified an air pressure that was too low for the load to be carried. This was an engineered attempt to soften the ride. Tires running dangerously underinflated tend to fail catastrophically.

Folks who listened to their tire guys and garage mechanics would run those tires at the more sane 32 psig instead of the 25 psig listed on the door jamb.
When the vehicle was loaded to its rated capacity, 35 psig was the minimum. The door jamb label made no distinction between loaded and empty weights.

So, your fears are misplaced. I would trust nobody when it comes to my safety. Unless you're totally clueless about tires, it should have been pretty obvious (by wear and heat) that the "recommended" tire pressure by the vehicle manufacturer was ridiculously low. And, that manufacturer was an American icon - Ford.
DryCreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 08:28 AM   #17
Winnebago Camper

Minor details 1.Tires were 100% US made in Illinois. 2.The same tires were supplied to Toyota for their pickups with no rollover fatalities.
The above were in telivised testimony.

Related question. Since all tires can fail if punctured or similar. Would you consider it acceptable for a vehicle suffering a puncture to roll over? Kind of raises the question of vehicle stability.

Tags
tires