Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-25-2011, 12:16 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Shocks Don't Fit...now what?

I have a 2010 Meridian V Class, built on a Freightliner XCS chassis. I took it in to get Koni's put on the front. The Cummins shop worked with Koni and Freightline to get the right shocks but they didn't fit (one end of shock hole was wrong size). So the shop ordered the other Koni's and they didn't fit either. Next would be to try Bilstein's but I am bringing the MH home until I can do some research. Has anyone with a Meridian or recent model Freightliner chassis run into this?
If I can't get Koni's then what shock should I put on? I will probably end up trying the Bilstein but have read they can be harsh (however there may be a 'comfort' shock??). I do know that the Sachs shocks currently on the front are weak and allow too much porpoising when stopping and starting.
Thanks for any insight you may have.
John
JFBell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 12:33 PM   #2
Winnebago Camper

Even though Cummins, Freightliner, Koni worked together, I'd suggest calling Koni yourself to go over the situation.
KONI North America - RV Divison
1961 International Way • Hebron • KY • 41048
Telephone: (866) 566-4175 • Fax:(859) 334-3340
haiduan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 12:43 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

John---I agree, call Koni. I put Koni's on my 2002 Winnebago Journey/Freightliner and was VERY pleased with the ride. Hold out for the Koni. Keep us posted what you do. Happy travels--John Bell PS--You have a good name!
bellsharbor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 04:14 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

John,
Please let me know how you make out with this, as I want to put Koni FSD's on my 2011 Journey Express (same Chassis as yours).
Thanks, Rick
Old 04-25-2011, 07:48 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Rick - I plan to be on the phone tomorrow with Koni to see what they have to say. I'll list the Koni part numbers (shocks) that didn't work and the one they say to try next (if there is another one). The Cummins guy said this chassis (XCS) can be made with three different front ends so that might be part of the problem as they couldn't identify which front end I have. I probably have an orphan
More soon.
John
Old 04-26-2011, 09:55 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

If you have the old shocks off the rig, Take old, plus new, to dealer and say "IT DON'T FIT" and ask for an exchange.
Old 04-26-2011, 01:21 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Further information gathered today...I called Freightliner and got the Sachs part number for the shocks that are currently on my Meridian V. They are 16-18075-000. I then called Koni and they said they would call me back after cross referencing the Sachs to a Koni part number. They called back and said they ran into a dead end, but they gave me their nearest dealer (Cummins Bridgeway in New Hudson Michigan). The tech at New Hudson said 'yup, I've run into this before' and told me the Koni's that will work. So here's the bottom line: my chassis is an XCS, basically an XC chassis (the 'S' meaning straight-line, not raised rail). The shocks that will fit are Koni FSD part number 88-051020 (front) and 88-051022 (rear).
The ones that don't fit (we tried) are 88-1641SP3 and 88-1668SP1 - both of these part numbers are for front only.
Please note this has not been 'proven' yet as I will now need to schedule to take the MH back in for the install.
I don't understand why Koni didn't know these facts.
Hope this helps someone else.
John
Old 04-29-2011, 07:41 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFBell View Post
Further information gathered today...I called Freightliner and got the Sachs part number for the shocks that are currently on my Meridian V. They are 16-18075-000. I then called Koni and they said they would call me back after cross referencing the Sachs to a Koni part number. They called back and said they ran into a dead end, but they gave me their nearest dealer (Cummins Bridgeway in New Hudson Michigan). The tech at New Hudson said 'yup, I've run into this before' and told me the Koni's that will work. So here's the bottom line: my chassis is an XCS, basically an XC chassis (the 'S' meaning straight-line, not raised rail). The shocks that will fit are Koni FSD part number 88-051020 (front) and 88-051022 (rear).
The ones that don't fit (we tried) are 88-1641SP3 and 88-1668SP1 - both of these part numbers are for front only.
Please note this has not been 'proven' yet as I will now need to schedule to take the MH back in for the install.
I don't understand why Koni didn't know these facts.
Hope this helps someone else.
John
Thanks for the part #s Keep us updated if they change

If you don't mind a little off topic question??

Why are you changing shocks on a 2010 unit? Is the ride really bad enough to spend a few hundred $$s to fix it.

Although I do not have the same FL chassis you have, I have owned several FL chassis units and found them to good riding/handling

By the way - same question to RickandCheryl Need new shocks on 2011 Journey Express??

PHESPE

PHESPE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 06:49 AM   #9
Winnebago Camper

PHESPE
Well, I live in Michigan and roads are horrible. Nuff said. But seriously though, I was taking the MH into the shop for normal maintenance and I wanted to add Konis to the front to improve the ride as much as possible. My experience with OEM shocks on ANY vehicle is that they are good when you buy them and after about 10,000 they become mediocre without you knowing it.
We travel almost weekly in Michigan and Ohio and Indiana so the ride is important. A smooth ride also keeps the squeeks and rattles to a minimum, which is one of my pet peeves.
Happy motoring
John
Old 04-30-2011, 09:10 AM   #10
Winnebago Camper

Thanks for the numbers. As to why change almost new shocks; I want to improve the ride over small bumps, road breaks etc., now feel every small bump. Had Koni FSD's on previous motorhome, (Workhorse W-22 chassis) and they made a hugh improvement in the ride, both over small bumps and stopped the front end from bouncing for minutes after a large bump. Bottem line; looking for that smooth ride again.
Old 04-30-2011, 09:44 AM   #11
Winnebago Owner

And I always thought my XC chassis was riding on air bags.

My almost 12 year old chassis came with OEM Bilstein's on it.
And the front still doesn't bounce for a minute after a big bump. Or for very many seconds either. To bad Freightliner is putting cheaper shocks on the XCS that bounce like that.

Bad shocks that bounce that bad should be covered under Freightliner 3 Year 50K miles Warranty Under Suspension Components.

You may save some $$$ by having Freightliner to replace those shocks.
Triker56 is offline   Reply With Quote