Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-10-2008, 09:37 PM   #1
Winnebago Master

my winnie is going to need shocks real soon. the original monroes are worn out is less than 10k mi.
ROAD KINGS are out: way to expensive.
BILLSTEINS seem to be priced right and have a lifetime warranty.
KONI FSD cost about twice as much as BILLS and do not advertise a lifetime warranty.
the best prices seem to be with SHOX.COM.

does anyone have experience relevant to my decision on which to purchase?
01 WINNEBAGO 35U W20.8.1L SW Wa, Hi. Good Sam, SKP. AMSOIL fluids. BANKS ecm program. SCAN GAUGE II w/ Ally temp. 2 LIFELINE GPL-6CT AGM Batts on their sides. TST tptts. K&N panel air filter. AERO mufflers. TAYLOR plug wires. ULTRA POWER track bar. KONI fsd shocks, toad '14 smart car
DAN L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 09:37 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

my winnie is going to need shocks real soon. the original monroes are worn out is less than 10k mi.
KONI FSD cost about twice as much as BILLS and do not advertise a lifetime warranty.

does anyone have experience relevant to my decision on which to purchase?
01 WINNEBAGO 35U W20.8.1L SW Wa, Hi. Good Sam, SKP. AMSOIL fluids. BANKS ecm program. SCAN GAUGE II w/ Ally temp. 2 LIFELINE GPL-6CT AGM Batts on their sides. TST tptts. K&N panel air filter. AERO mufflers. TAYLOR plug wires. ULTRA POWER track bar. KONI fsd shocks, toad '14 smart car
Old 06-11-2008, 01:07 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

Dan, you will get all types of opinions.
Bilsteins are said to have a "harsh" ride. Monroe Gas Magnums are softer I had them on a 99 and was satisifed. I don't think you would regret having the Koni FSD's even tho they cost a little more. I have them and am completly satisfied. Shop the internet and get the best price. Good Luck
ichn2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 02:49 AM   #4
Winnie-Wise

We had Bilsteins on out 99 Minnie Winnie and no complaints.....

ken
Old 06-11-2008, 03:16 AM   #5

Do a search here for Koni Shocks. We replaced our (virtually new) Bilsteens with Koni FSD's and threw the Bilsteens in the trash....GREAT RIDE IMPROVEMENT! Very well worth the money spent.

HERE is a recent discussion on the Workhorse Forum about where to buy Koni's.
FrontRangeRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 04:30 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

We replaced the originals on our coach (2001 Winnebago Adventurer 32V on the F53 chassis) at 22,000 miles with Bilsteins. There was a huge improvement in side sway when being passed by big trucks. We now have 65,000 miles on the coach and they still work great.
Old 06-11-2008, 05:17 AM   #7
Winnie-Wise

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by DAN L:

does anyone have experience relevant to my decision on which to purchase? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I have OE Billsteins on my 2006 Itasca 35U. 30,000 miles...I run the placard tire pressures (100 psi front..90 psi rear duals )on all tires...tires are in great shape..I run on Interstate up to 70mph in light to calm cross winds...slight sway when trucks pass...normal

I have no complaints...and I'm satisfied..
Old 06-11-2008, 06:43 AM   #8
Winnebago Master

I thought Monroe's were guaranteed for life??

If they are and you've had good service why not use the lifetime warrantee??

-Tom
Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 07:19 AM   #9
Winnebago Camper

I'm having Koni's put om rig tomorrow, I have made only one trip for 300miles before I decided to change them out. I have bilstens now.

Front & Rear Koni FSD's
Greybeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 08:30 AM   #10
Winnie-Wise

Bilsteens and Koni's FSD are both great shocks, but different.

I had Bilsteens on when new. They improve handling at high speeds by keeping the rig from being pushed around by high winds or passing trailers. At low speeds they ride rather harsh. You can feel all the bumps and dips. I travelled to Alaska with them on and no matter how slow I went we took a pounding. Had them on for 23,000 mi.

When I installed the Koni's I was amazed at how smooth the ride became, especially a low speeds. Freeways which I hated to travel on due to bumpy roads and potholes all of a sudden became much smoother. On the other hand I didn't notice any difference in handling at high speeds' probably due to my having installed aftermarket anti-sway bars and a steer safe for steering.

If you're having problems with driving at highway speeds when trucks pass you by, then go with the Bilsteens. If handling isn't a problem then I would definitely recommend the Koni's FSD. Either way they are both great shocks. Depends on your priorities.

Tom
Fakrwee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 03:50 AM   #11
Winnebago Master

FRONT RANGER... has your trash been emptied yet? i sure could use a set of bils...i would pay for shipping.
dan
Old 07-09-2008, 03:54 AM   #12
Winnebago Master

TOM: i am not the original owner of my moho. i got it at 7.8k and the monroes were already shot. when i crawl under it i need to put something better on it.
dan
Old 07-09-2008, 04:03 AM   #13
Winnie-Wise

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by DAN L:
FRONT RANGER... has your trash been emptied yet? i sure could use a set of bils...i would pay for shipping.
dan </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'll up you one..pay shipping and $10 gratuity.
Old 07-09-2008, 02:22 PM   #14
Winnie-Wise

Love my Koni s, and I don't need any other supension modifications. HOW ABOUT THAT?
2001 32-V Suncruiser,Ford V-10, 310 HP, 4 Koni FSD's, KVH Tracvision,trickle charge, awning travel lock, 1 dinning room slide; no roof leaks, 03malibu toad sometimes, Blackhawk all terrain towbar, Roadmaster brake Pro,1 wife,1 westy, life is good!
bobpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 02:27 PM   #15
Winnebago Owner

Stayed with Monroes and am completely satisfied, and they are gauranteed by NAPA for life...

Retired Navy Mustang 06
2003 Winnebago 35U W22
Toyota Rav 4 Toad
Brake Buddy

Sugar & Spice our Shih-Tzus
Captain Bud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 03:00 PM   #16

dan </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sorry Dan....I changed to Konis well over a year ago and never looked back....don't miss the Bilsteens!!! The shop that removed them, threw them away...otherwise, I would let you have them....
FrontRangeRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 12:49 PM   #17
Winnebago Owner

On my 99 Adventurer 34 I had the Bilstiens replaced with Monroes at about 30K (that was February of this year). Ride was much improved, especially when leaving driveways, crossing RR Tracks, and the like.