Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-09-2019, 01:18 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Roadside assistance with Tyron straps

Does everyone carry a fully mounted spare? If not, why not?

And do roadside assistance guys sent by GoodSam generally know how to deal with Tyron straps? or should I have a fully mounted spare so they just change the tire and I can go to a shop at a more convenient time to have the tire replaced?

Reason I ask is that a very experienced (50 years) RV dealer said to just carry a new unmounted tire. I presume he's thinking that the odds of destroying a rim are low and changing the tire on the existing rim is not a big deal. Kind of made sense thinking about saving the weight of a spare rim in the very back of a 30 LT. But at the time I didn't think about the experience/expertise of any roadside assistance guy with Tyrons. maybe they don't have experience with removing or remounting a tyron strap.

I know the safe answer is to have a mounted spare and not risk a lot of wasted time or a screwed up job a long ways from nowhere. what am I missing?

Opinions/experience please.
Old 09-09-2019, 04:04 PM   #2
Winnie-Wise

I would, but our Sunstar did not come with one and there are limited places to carry one. I have considered a hitch mount carrier, but that interferes with trunk access. My best be may be an unmounted tire in the basement.

There IS room underneath behind the rear axle, I think, but Im' not sure hoe to mount it or get it up and down.
SLOweather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 08:23 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Easy conclusion: Talking with my local tire shop, it's readily apparent that having a mounted spare that just requires a simple road side change is the only way to go. They assured me no normal road side equipment or personnel are going to be ready and able to mount and balance a tire on the spot never mind the hassle of tyron bands. So, I'll soon carry a mounted spare and deal with the tyron bands later with a shop capable of dealing with them.
Old 09-09-2019, 08:29 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLOweather View Post
I would, but our Sunstar did not come with one and there are limited places to carry one. I have considered a hitch mount carrier, but that interferes with trunk access. My best be may be an unmounted tire in the basement.

There IS room underneath behind the rear axle, I think, but Im' not sure hoe to mount it or get it up and down.

On ours, the unmounted spare tire fits neatly into the compartment in the back under the bed. I'm pretty sure that was the design space and a mounted tire will also fit. I will report back if it doesnt'.

I tried to fit the spare into the basement, but the driveshaft occupies the needed space. The rear compartment under the bed is the only place it will go.
Old 09-10-2019, 12:43 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Followup question: I assumed that since all tires are the same size, that the steel wheels are also the same size and configuration (off set, backspacing) and a single mounted spare can be put in any of the six tire positions. Is that right? if not, I guess that would be the primary reason to carry just an unmounted spare.
Old 09-10-2019, 03:14 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

[QUOTE=Lotus 7;3846439]On ours, the unmounted spare tire fits neatly into the compartment in the back under the bed. I'm pretty sure that was the design space and a mounted tire will also fit. I will report back if it doesnt'.

I tried to fit the spare into the basement, but the driveshaft occupies the needed space. The rear compartment under the bed is the only place it will go.[/QUOTE

well a mounted spare won't fit. The rim adds an additional 3 inches which would fit in the space, but the door height is too small, barely enough for the unmounted tire alone. So I guess I have to carry the rim separately.
Old 09-10-2019, 04:12 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

I carry a mounted spare in the back compartment of my 26he. Had to have the neighbor help me get it in there but it fits. Mounted a couple of hooks on the wall and fastened it with a strap. I'm sure a wrecker driver can get it out!
Dentkimterry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 04:15 PM   #8
Winnie-Wise

Yeah, they should all be interchangeable. FWIW, I just searched on motorhome under chassis spare tire mount and found a Lippert winch that might work for us.
SLOweather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2019, 06:20 PM   #9
Winnebago Camper

Thanks SLO, I will check that out.
Old 09-15-2019, 07:56 PM   #10
Winnebago Master

I carry an unmounted tire, one saved from the last tire replacement. A couple of years ago I had an outside dual with a punctured sidewall. A truck tire service came out and quickly removed the ruined tire and put my spare in place w/o even removing the wheel from the coach. He said he could do the same with a front as long as the wheel is good. Inside dual would take a little longer as he would have to remove the outside wheel. In 16 years of RVing, that is the ONLY time I needed a spare tire.
Old 09-16-2019, 07:52 AM   #11
Winnebago Owner

When headed for Alaska a few years ago, I bought a small block and tackle and used it to hoist an unmounted spare up the ladder. Fortunately it was not needed, but I felt good about having it available. I have had tires replaced twice "in the field" and I was surprised how easy it was for someone knowledgeable with the right tools. I do not normally carry a mounted spare and now that I have no ladder on my newest MH, I really don't have a good place to carry it.
RTrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2019, 09:15 AM   #12
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotus 7 View Post
Does everyone carry a fully mounted spare? If not, why not?
Since there is generally no provision to mount a spare wheel and tire and they are too heavy and big to put in a storage compartment, they are not carried.

And do roadside assistance guys sent by GoodSam generally know how to deal with Tyron straps? or should I have a fully mounted spare so they just change the tire and I can go to a shop at a more convenient time to have the tire replaced?
Almost no one knows how to deal with Tyron bands. Unless you pack the full tool kit for them and are prepared to deal with them, they can really delay your repair.

Reason I ask is that a very experienced (50 years) RV dealer said to just carry a new unmounted tire. I presume he's thinking that the odds of destroying a rim are low and changing the tire on the existing rim is not a big deal. Kind of made sense thinking about saving the weight of a spare rim in the very back of a 30 LT. But at the time I didn't think about the experience/expertise of any roadside assistance guy with Tyrons. maybe they don't have experience with removing or remounting a tyron strap.
Excellent advise - you might be able to actually store an unmounted tire. Again, Tyron bands might be a good ideal from a safety standpoint but a poor idea if you need a tire changed.

I know the safe answer is to have a mounted spare and not risk a lot of wasted time or a screwed up job a long ways from nowhere. what am I missing?
The good news is the motorhome tires are a common size with trucks (22.5") and there are lots of replacement tires available and tire services out there. However, if you insist on using Tyron bands, you begin to limit your options.

Opinions/experience please.
My two cents.
luvlabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2019, 09:54 AM   #13
Winnebago Watcher

Hi, I am new to the forum, but I definitely plan to purchase a spare mounted tire/wheel. Can someone enlighten me on two things. 1. What are the " Tryon Straps". 2. As I may have a small tow behind trailer, with spare wheel, jack, lug wrench, and small air compressor, can the wheel be removed by hand without an impact wrench on a 24J. tHANK YOU
Jerryd13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2019, 12:24 PM   #14
Winnebago Owner

Tyron Bands/Spare Tire

I recently purchased an Itasca 27N and had the Tyron Bands installed on the front tires by the dealer in Arizona. When I got home to Utah, I went to see my regular tire dealer here where I live. He said he hates dealing with the Tyron Bands because they are difficult to work with. For years, he has rotated the tires on all our vehicles for free, but he said to do so with the Tyrons, he'd have to charge $200 labor each time. (I do have the special spider tool required to mount/unmount tires with the Tyrons and carry it in the moho.) I don't think it is something that could be done at roadside. In case of a front tire needing replacement, the mounted spare is probably the best way to go.

The tire man recommended not rotating the tires every 5,000 miles and just letting the front tires wear out faster and replacing them when needed. Buying new ones after 30-40,000 miles would be cheaper in the long run than rotating them every 5,000 miles at $200 per rotation in order to get a few thousand more miles out of them. Made sense to me.

I do not regret having the Tyrons installed for the peace of mind. Blowouts on front tires are frequently catastrophic in motorhomes and the Tyrons are supposed to reduce the risk greatly. I hope I never have to find out.

Just my dos centavos.
moabdds is offline   Reply With Quote