Old 09-09-2019, 01:18 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Roadside assistance with Tyron straps

Does everyone carry a fully mounted spare? If not, why not?

And do roadside assistance guys sent by GoodSam generally know how to deal with Tyron straps? or should I have a fully mounted spare so they just change the tire and I can go to a shop at a more convenient time to have the tire replaced?

Reason I ask is that a very experienced (50 years) RV dealer said to just carry a new unmounted tire. I presume he's thinking that the odds of destroying a rim are low and changing the tire on the existing rim is not a big deal. Kind of made sense thinking about saving the weight of a spare rim in the very back of a 30 LT. But at the time I didn't think about the experience/expertise of any roadside assistance guy with Tyrons. maybe they don't have experience with removing or remounting a tyron strap.

I know the safe answer is to have a mounted spare and not risk a lot of wasted time or a screwed up job a long ways from nowhere. what am I missing?

Opinions/experience please.
Old 09-09-2019, 04:04 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

I would, but our Sunstar did not come with one and there are limited places to carry one. I have considered a hitch mount carrier, but that interferes with trunk access. My best be may be an unmounted tire in the basement.

There IS room underneath behind the rear axle, I think, but Im' not sure hoe to mount it or get it up and down.
SLOweather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 08:23 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Easy conclusion: Talking with my local tire shop, it's readily apparent that having a mounted spare that just requires a simple road side change is the only way to go. They assured me no normal road side equipment or personnel are going to be ready and able to mount and balance a tire on the spot never mind the hassle of tyron bands. So, I'll soon carry a mounted spare and deal with the tyron bands later with a shop capable of dealing with them.
Old 09-09-2019, 08:29 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLOweather View Post
I would, but our Sunstar did not come with one and there are limited places to carry one. I have considered a hitch mount carrier, but that interferes with trunk access. My best be may be an unmounted tire in the basement.

There IS room underneath behind the rear axle, I think, but Im' not sure hoe to mount it or get it up and down.

On ours, the unmounted spare tire fits neatly into the compartment in the back under the bed. I'm pretty sure that was the design space and a mounted tire will also fit. I will report back if it doesnt'.

I tried to fit the spare into the basement, but the driveshaft occupies the needed space. The rear compartment under the bed is the only place it will go.
Old 09-10-2019, 12:43 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Followup question: I assumed that since all tires are the same size, that the steel wheels are also the same size and configuration (off set, backspacing) and a single mounted spare can be put in any of the six tire positions. Is that right? if not, I guess that would be the primary reason to carry just an unmounted spare.
Old 09-10-2019, 03:14 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

[QUOTE=Lotus 7;3846439]On ours, the unmounted spare tire fits neatly into the compartment in the back under the bed. I'm pretty sure that was the design space and a mounted tire will also fit. I will report back if it doesnt'.

I tried to fit the spare into the basement, but the driveshaft occupies the needed space. The rear compartment under the bed is the only place it will go.[/QUOTE

well a mounted spare won't fit. The rim adds an additional 3 inches which would fit in the space, but the door height is too small, barely enough for the unmounted tire alone. So I guess I have to carry the rim separately.
Old 09-10-2019, 04:12 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

I carry a mounted spare in the back compartment of my 26he. Had to have the neighbor help me get it in there but it fits. Mounted a couple of hooks on the wall and fastened it with a strap. I'm sure a wrecker driver can get it out!
Dentkimterry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 04:15 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Yeah, they should all be interchangeable. FWIW, I just searched on motorhome under chassis spare tire mount and found a Lippert winch that might work for us.
SLOweather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 06:20 PM   #9
Winnebago Camper

Thanks SLO, I will check that out.

« Flat Tires | - »