Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-04-2006, 04:30 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

It requires constant steering to keep my rig tracking straight down the road. The tire pressures are spot on the Workhorse numbers.
100 psi front and 90 in the rear. The front end aliment checked good. I am starting to think this problem might be inherent of the taller rig 12'2" on a 208" wheelbase W22 chassis with 22.5" wheels. Anyone out there have any suggestions?

Baxter the Cat
rvskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2006, 04:30 PM   #2
Winnebago Camper

It requires constant steering to keep my rig tracking straight down the road. The tire pressures are spot on the Workhorse numbers.
100 psi front and 90 in the rear. The front end aliment checked good. I am starting to think this problem might be inherent of the taller rig 12'2" on a 208" wheelbase W22 chassis with 22.5" wheels. Anyone out there have any suggestions?

Baxter the Cat
rvskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2006, 04:55 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Is it tracking when you get into rutts in the road and wanting to follow them until you make it steer out of the rutt?

If so I would say you need better shocks and maybe a steering stabilzer bar on the front if you dont already have one.

DFW, Texas
Dougmyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2006, 05:00 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

Suggest you weigh the rig to make sure your loading is proper and tire pressure is on target for the actual weights at each axle. Not sure how much weight you have on your front axle, but if you are overinflated for the weight, it might make the rig wander. Also, if you have too much weight on the rear axle and too little on the front, that can make it wander.

When I got my new tires, the dealer inflated them to max of 120 psi. The thing was all over the road. After checking my weights, I was able to lower my front tires to 105, which made all the difference in the world in handling.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2006, 05:18 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

I had the same problem when I first got my current rig and had the tires inflated to the WH specs. I quickly had the rig weighed on all four corners. With the weight I had, the Michelin chart shows that I should be at 85 pounds, it made a considerable difference in the handling.

I would imagine that your rig would handle much better if your pressures were adjusted to your actual weight.

Chris

Murfreesboro TN
The Clock Meister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2006, 05:19 PM   #6
iRV2 Marketing

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by rvskipper:
100 psi front and 90 in the rear. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Seems excessive to me given a 33 foot motorhome. Go with 90 front and 85 rear. Take 2 aspirins and call me in the morning.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">The front end aliment checked good. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Did you get a computer print out before and after?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I am starting to think this problem might be inherent of the taller rig 12'2" on a 208" wheelbase W22 chassis with 22.5" wheels. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>That isn't it.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Anyone out there have any suggestions? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Yes absolutely! Make very certain that the shop that did the alignment used the right specs. Reduce those tire pressures.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2006, 06:20 PM   #7
Winnebago Watcher

My 33 foot motohome is also mounted on the 208" wheelbase workhorse. Yes, it is inherent of the short wheelbase because of the rear overhang. I've installed front and rear trac bars as well as a steering stablizer. I also went to Bilstein shocks. All of this helped, buy it's still less stable than the 18 wheelers I've driven. Changing tire pressures is not going to change much for you. Had I done more research when buying my coach, I would have never gone with the short wheelbase.
kennersonf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2006, 05:40 AM   #8
Winnebago Watcher

"I am starting to think this problem might be inherent of the taller rig 12'2" on a 208" wheelbase W22 chassis with 22.5" wheels. Anyone out there have any suggestions?"

===============================================

RVSkipper---

Our Newmar Kountry Star Gasser is also 12

feet tall and is on a 200" WB Chevrolet

P12 Chassis. It tracks very well.

It has the 8K# front I-beam axle so the

alignment specs are basically fixed.

Toe-in the Shop can mess with easily, but

caster and camber are both OEM..yes, they

can be changed with fiddling, but not

really needed. So, I don't think that

alignment is the issue.

One thing that our P12 has, is a Davis

Tru-Trac bar on the front axle. I have

never driven our Coach without it, but it

may be the reason it tracks so well.

Allison transmisson
Steady Eddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2006, 07:30 AM   #9
iRV2 Marketing

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Fred K:
Changing tire pressures is not going to change much for you. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>We have seen marked improvement in front wheel tracking with the reduction of air pressures. Best thing is that it doesn't cost anything to rule this out and Rich can do this on his own.
Old 05-05-2006, 07:59 AM   #10
Winnebago Camper

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by DriVer:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Fred K:
Changing tire pressures is not going to change much for you. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>We have seen marked improvement in front wheel tracking with the reduction of air pressures. Best thing is that it doesn't cost anything to rule this out and Rich can do this on his own. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>I will second this suggestion. Tire pressure has a lot to do with handling. Although it has its limits, I would try dropping the air in the front tires by up to 10%, but no more. First weigh the vehicle and use the tables to determine what your tire pressures "should be". If you decide to manipulate the air pressure, start at table deteremined pressure and drop both front tires in 3 lb increments. Then test drive. If it doesn't help, go back to the calculated values. Lowering the pressure reduces the "sensitivity" of the front tires. (If you don't believe me get a book on vehicle handling, sport and race vehicles).

Since it is an 2006 W22 that comes stock with Bilsteins, shocks should not be an issue. If manipulating the air pressure doesn't do it, the order of add-ons I would add:

1) Front track bar
2) Rear track bar
3) Steering stabilizer

This is based on the order I installed my add-ons. I did the front track bar first and have yet to proceed to the next step. Hwy 26, near my house, gets heavily rutted from studded snow tires and my RV wandered all over. In addition side winds were a problem, from trucks or the weather. The front track bar took care of most of this. There is a little left, but not enough to warrant the cost of the next two steps (airbox and anti-sway bars were more important at the time).
alvinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2006, 06:30 PM   #11
Winnebago Owner

We've got a 2005 Itasca 33' on a W20 chassis with 19.5" wheels. We installed a Henderson Rear Trac Bar on it, and it rides like it's on rails! I'm more comfortable and relaxed driving our RV than I am my truck. Before I put the Rear Trac Bar on I was constantly correcting the steering, now I lean back, relax, and one hand it going down the highway. If your alignment is good I would recommend the Rear Trac Bar.
Easyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2006, 07:28 PM   #12
Winnebago Camper

We have 2006 Dolphin LX 6320 W22 208 w/b. We just drove 4,400 miles. Tire pressures are set at what it says on the tires. DW drove 1/2 of the miles. We've commented over and over on how well this coach handles compared to the P32 chassis we got rid of. We did not feel like we were wrestling this coach. We were not "whooped" at the end of each day...but we never drove more than 200 miles in a day.
Old 05-06-2006, 03:47 AM   #13
iRV2 Marketing

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jeff Haltom:
Tire pressures are set at what it says on the tires. DW drove 1/2 of the miles. We've commented over and over on how well this coach handles compared to the P32 chassis we got rid of.. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>The comfort of the Stabil-Ride suspension on your new W Series will give its owner as you suggest a "not whooped" feeling at the end of the day as it was designed to do.

I just wanted to bring to your attention that inflating your tires to the pressure stamped on the sidewall of 110 psi is really unnecessary and you detract from what could be a better riding experience. If you follow the minimum inflation pressures vs your actual axle weights that are given in the Michelin tire inflation chart you will be glad you did.

Best part about working with your air pressures as suggested in the tables is that it's recommended by the tire manufacturer and it doesn't cost anything to try out a few different settings. On a rig like yours with 22.5 tires on a 208 WB I would initially try 90 front and 85 rear and try that out for a week or so.

Let us know whether or not this improved your riding comfort, we'd all like to know.
Old 05-06-2006, 04:07 AM   #14
Winnebago Watcher

DriVer--

Your advise on tire pressures is spot on....

But, I'd like to add that much depends upon

which tires you have.

We bought a set of six Toyo M-143s for our

P12 and never looked back. The tire techs

wanted to put 110 PSI in them, but I said

that Toyo told me on the phone to air them

up to the OEM tire pressures, as posted by

the driver's seat (on a sticker). Ok.

The Michelin PSI value posted was only 75PSI.

A compromise was agreed upon, I would try

85PSI all the way round. We set out on a

2600-mile round trip to Phoenix. I found

a smooth ride, but had issues with steering

over-corrections. The Toyos began to wear

funny. The outside ribs on the tread faces

were scuffing off. Brought the tires up to

95PSI--perfect. So, go ahead and fuss with

tire pressures, but keep an eye on tread-

wear. My 95PSI is fully 20# over OEM.

BTW: OT here--The P32 Accuride wheels are

only rated for 95 PSI at 26??# load each.

The P12s wheels are rated at 5000# load

at 115 PSI each.

Allison transmisson
Steady Eddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2006, 04:38 AM   #15
Winnebago Camper

Thanks Driver. We'll try it and let you know.
Old 05-06-2006, 05:28 AM   #16
Winnebago Owner

We run 90lbs. in the fronts and 85lbs. in the rears and it seems to be about right to me. Very comfortable and secure ride going down the road. Now if I could just find a parking stall big enough and gas cheap enough I could use it to run errands!
Easyrider is offline   Reply With Quote