Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-28-2005, 04:36 AM   #1
Winnebago Master

I normally would never consider replacing 3 yr old tires with good tread by wife wants me to get rid of the 235/80 XRV's. She heard me talking to an RV friend about the incidents related to these. I am still trying to convince her that if I monitor the pressures regularly, that we should be OK.

However, if I decide to change now, what have folks been paying for 6 Goodyear G670's? None are available in my area but I can get Bridgestones, Kumho or maybe Toyo's. However, all these are general truck tires while Goodyear claims the G670's are RV specific. Average price for 6 G670's out the door is looking like $2200 - $2300.

Any experience/opinions are appreciated.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2005, 04:36 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

I normally would never consider replacing 3 yr old tires with good tread by wife wants me to get rid of the 235/80 XRV's. She heard me talking to an RV friend about the incidents related to these. I am still trying to convince her that if I monitor the pressures regularly, that we should be OK.

However, if I decide to change now, what have folks been paying for 6 Goodyear G670's? None are available in my area but I can get Bridgestones, Kumho or maybe Toyo's. However, all these are general truck tires while Goodyear claims the G670's are RV specific. Average price for 6 G670's out the door is looking like $2200 - $2300.

Any experience/opinions are appreciated.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Old 03-28-2005, 06:15 AM   #3
iRV2 Marketing

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by smlranger:
I am still trying to convince her that if I monitor the pressures regularly, that we should be OK. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Save the money - keep talking! Try to get at least 5 to 6 years out of your tires.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2005, 08:14 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

Smlranger, I have the Michelins on mine. I prbably would have gone with something different if I had known of the concerns. Yet I have read a lot on the forum and if you follow Michelins specs I will vote with DriVer. I am not saying that you could not have a problem but for the most part I think that for every problem there have been a 100 successes. Have your coach weighed and run what Michelin
recommend. I run my fronts at 105 and the rears at 100 psi. While this is higher than needed for the weight of my coach I feel its better for the side walls. Tell your wife not to worry that blow outs are the exception and not the rule and that you'll change tires in 3/4 years. Please send me your e-mail address.Good Miles
ichn2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2005, 08:23 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

Ichn:

Your '03 probably has the 255's...is that correct? All the problems I've read about are related to the 235's, which I have. I did weigh my coach and while I do have some margin, it is slim. I must say I am not happy with tires that have such a low margin for weight carrying ability even at near max inflation. I'm running 100 in front and 96 in rears.
Old 03-28-2005, 08:38 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

Yup ,, you are right on the size of my tires..Send me your e-mail so I can give you a phone #.
ichn2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2005, 08:47 AM   #7
Winnie-Wise

I'm in exactly the same situation.

For some reason, Winnebago spec'd out the 2002 Freightliner chassis for the 36' coaches with 235/80/R22.5 tires and they are right at the limits weight wise. The 39' units came with 255 tires as did all 36' from year 2003 and up. I think Winnebago learned the 235's aren't enough tire for the motorhome after 2002.

Incidently, when I spoke with Freightliner, they used the term "tire limited" to refer to the GVWR of our chassis. If the tires would have been larger, the GVWR would have been higher up to the next lowest rated component. That's not to say by simply upgrading tires you can always increase capacity, but just in this case where the tire is the limiting item....the weakest link in the chain theory.

I've had the rig 4 corner weighed and run at proper air pressure, but will still upsize the tires when I replace them. I'm just not really comfortable with being right against the weightlimits of the tires.

Blowouts are rare, but I'll feel more comfortable with the larger size with a little more weight carrying capacity.....When to replace them is the question.

Any Psychic's reading the forums who can tell me when mine will fail I'll replace them the day before they do
Old 03-28-2005, 09:15 AM   #8
Winnebago Master

Interesting discussion. I guess it all comes down to piece of mind...like insurance. If the current tires weren't so near the limit, I'd just wait 3 years. However, since the wife won't sqwak if I spend $2300 on new tires, I may just do it. She will probably fuss when I get the Tru Center....'what gadget are you buying for that thing now???'
Old 03-28-2005, 09:24 AM   #9
Winnebago Master

Although the 255s up the front axle GAWR to 10,410, it still appears that the tires are the limiting item. The single pounds/tire of the XRV 255/80R22.5 is 5205#. So, you still have to run the XRV at their max pressure to get the full GAWR.

As I remember, the G670s don't have to be run at their max inflation to give you the same weight capability.
tomsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2005, 09:24 AM   #10
Winnebago Owner

Piece of mind is the keyword...I had the 235's XRV on my 02 Journey 36GD and was maxed out at max pressure...For piece of mind and recommendations of many on this forum, i went to 275 XZA-1 by Michelin....Tires fit well and are very ,very close in circumference...the XZA-1's have been uprated to H and at 100# front and rear I am still 35% under max loads for the tires.....Could have gone to 255's but dealer advised the 275's for greater leeway. Also they ride great.
good luck...RKL
RKL2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2005, 09:56 AM   #11
Winnie-Wise

Yes, interesting thread. My previous gasser (Triple E Commander) had tires rated will above the front GAWR (F53 - 7,000 lbs) and it was certainly nice to know. I'm surprised that any MF manufacturer would put on tires that would be the limited factor for the GVWR. If I were doing doing the specs I'd make sure the 2 fronts were selectged to carry at least 1,000 lbs more (before the factor of safety) and leave the quoted GAWR at 10,410.
Old 03-28-2005, 10:09 AM   #12
Winnebago Master

OK, I may just do this. The Goodyear G670's are not in stock anywhere around here but I've found a dealer in Ashland, Va (where I will be this weekend) that says he can get them by Friday from Goodyear. He says they use 'powder??' in the tire to balance them. Claims it works very well. This is a new one for me. Are these the beads I hear can be used inside a tire for balancing?
Old 03-28-2005, 10:22 AM   #13
Winnie-Wise

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I'm surprised that any MF manufacturer would put on tires that would be the limited factor for the GVWR. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I agree with you 100% Don.

You guys are actually pretty lucky with the 255 tires in that you have a 10,500 lb axle, and tires that can carry 10,410 so your front GAWR is tire limited at 10,410lbs.

With the 235's on 2002 rigs, we have the same 10,500 lb axle, but our tires can only carry 4,675 each, so our front GAWR is 9,350. The tires limit the axle weight by 1,150 lbs.

Some time ago, I had several interesting conversations with quite a few folks at Michelin, Freighliner, and Winnebago. We shared information between the engineering folks at all companies but the end result is that Winneabago feels comfortable in their design and choice of tire.

As was stated earlier though "piece of mind" is important, and if Winneabago reads some of these posts, they'll realize my comments to them earlier wern't one isolated person complaining about undersizing the tires on the rigs and the safety concerns that result from it.
Old 03-28-2005, 10:34 AM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

I had the same type of thing a few years ago on a Jayco fifth wheel. I could not carry full fresh water(less than half if I remember) because the tires limited me. Jayco's response was that you shouldnt carry full water!!
What's wrong with these people?
Mike
ISLAPP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2005, 11:40 AM   #15
Winnebago Camper

Just as a note, I have a 03 Journey DL and it has the 235 tires.
I am also felling uneasy about the Michelin tires. I am going to run them at max psi and hope I do not have a problem. One problem and they are gone. I will replace them with the G670.

I wish Winnebago would step up to the plate and accept responsibilty for having marginal tires and issue a recall to have them all replaced like Country Coach did a few years back. We paid enough for these coach's to have the right tire.

OK I feel better now.

2003 Journey DL 36GD
Tom Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2005, 04:16 PM   #16
Winnie-Wise

Tom,

I'm curious which engine you have in your motorhome. In doing some of the tire research, I looked at some of the specs freightliner publishes on the various chassis. I see where you're right that the 03 came with 235 tires with the cummins engine. I assumed that your DL though had the CAT engine which should have had the 255s.

For anyone who wants to see their chassis specs for various model years, visit the Freightliner Coachbuilder Specs Page In my case, the 2002 has the lighter front GAWR than the new model years due to the tires. The specs for the 2003 year show the lighter axle for the Cummins powered version which was the reason for my question.
Old 03-28-2005, 05:31 PM   #17
RLS
Winnebago Owner

I traded my 00' Journey for a 02' Journey DL 36LD last week in Florida. The new coach had 25K miles on it. On my way home to Missouri I had a left rear inside dual blow. Tires were at 100 Lbs. I bought 2 new tires for the left rear. I didn't trust the outside tire, and had to ordered a new fender. I will be out about $1100.00. I plan on replacing all with G670 as soon as I can.
RLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2005, 05:54 PM   #18
Winnie-Wise

Some of you may remember that I had these same concerns with my rig. I bought it used in July '03, with 235 XRV's and just under 20,000 miles. Even back then, there were a number of people whom I respect and know took all the right precautions about weight and tire pressure, and experienced XRV blowouts. Most of them were "zipper rips", or sidewall blowouts. One man, a Country Coach owner, was killed when his left front tire blew, and he lost control.

So I chickened out, and replaced all of my tires with Goodyear 275/70R22.5 G670RV. They came to $1830. mounted and balanced at a Goodyear Wingfoot Commercial tire center. They had to order them in for me, but that only took about a week.

I now have about 13,500 miles on them, and I am very happy the way they ride and handle. But, as others have said, whatever you are comfortable with is what you do.
Indian River, De
CaptBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2005, 07:21 PM   #19
Winnebago Camper

Joe-K
I have the 3126E 330hp Cat. I looked at the site you referred to and I see that according to that they should be 255. Then why are mine 235's? Maybe I should check with customer service.

2003 Journey DL 36GD
Tom Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2005, 04:21 AM   #20
Winnie-Wise

Tom,
It's a good question why you have the 235's. Unless the website information isn't correct since it could have been changed during the model year. I suppose the information posted is always subject to change.

I have access to Freightliner Parts Pro system, and can look up the tire size.

Edit Parts Pro won't permit me to access chassis specifications other than my VIN

I've tried to run the VIN numbers for Tom's rig, and the system won't allow me to view the information. When I retry my VIN, it works fine. I suppose the security is acting the way it is supposed to, and only providing specs on my registered chassis.

So......I'd suggest anyone who has the freightliner chassis and not already registered, go to AccessFreightliner and follow the instructions to register. I registered a couple years ago, so don't recall all the questions, but the process isn't too difficult. Once you register, you'll be able to access the parts list for your chassis, and engine. Pretty neat info there. Of course, the tires are specified on the chassis BOM